pc running far to slow

LOL THANKS

well i missed it and it updated and restarted but its saved the files with the cookies with warnings so i could sort them.
have now given up with pc and goingto use lappy until the backup is complete its so slow now its doing my head in.

my email client i did manage to find a setting for transfer so have now started an export data and settings which is currently copying everything to a file on the desktop so i can load it on to my external drive and then all info saved emails and addresses etc can be transfered over.

however i keep getting up WINDOWS VIRTUAL MEMORY TOO LOW - not only on my desktop but also on the laptop and now on my sons pc as well.
does anyone know a reason for this as no settings have been changed on any of the pc's

give me a few weeks and i will be back to normal on here posting away lol but at the moment pc's are really trying my patience LOL

however i keep getting up WINDOWS VIRTUAL MEMORY TOO LOW - not only on my desktop but also on the laptop and now on my sons pc as well.
does anyone know a reason for this as no settings have been changed on any of the pc's

You will get the solution to that problem HERE Linny.

IMPORTANT: usually running out of virtual memory means that you are running to many programs at the same time for your system or one of them is attempting to use too much memory. You might also want to check out what's running when this happens and how much memory each program is using.

In Windows XP (and its predecessors Windows 2000 and Windows NT) the system includes a built in "Task Manager". There are many ways to run it, but my favorite shortcut is to right click on the clock in the task bar and select "Task Manager". It too will show you a list of applications running which may be very short much like under Windows 98. However under the Processes tab you'll find a list of all processes running on your machine - there will be many more, especially if you select the Show processes from all users checkbox. (Hint: you can click on the columns in Task Manager to sort the output by that column which is particularly handy when you want to see who's using the most memory or CPU time.)

-

on each pc we only have the one user - was told years ago the more users you have the slower the machines is etc. so we each have our own machine and if we do need to use the one machine its all on the one user - saves space etc. just checked the cpu and seems this morning on the lappy not much is running. system idle process seems to be using the most. as for task manager ive always used control alt delete - never looked o see it on the clock lol

thank you very much gman. when i got the task bar up and applications running there are loads. do i let these run or end process.and will this delete these.

you should start the task manager about 5 mins after you switch on the computer, this will show you how many programs are starting up when you switch on.

if you download Ccleaner, open it, click on tools, then startup this will also show you everything and you can happily select what YOU want running when you switch on the computer.
here's an example, have to work on my memory usage myself but i have 4gs of ram installed so its not that important but goes to show what a resource hog vista can be.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 31
thank you very much gman. when i got the task bar up and applications running there are loads. do i let these run or end process.and will this delete these.

First off babs, ending the process does just that. It ends it until your next startup. It does not delete it.

You should not end any process you wish to continue using but even if you screvv up? a restart will put everything right again.

The best way to look at the processes is to see what's running that isn't being used on a regular basis. Many programs like Quicktime for example, set themselves to run at startup during the install process, even though you might only use it once in a blue moon :). Ending such processes only disconnects them for the duration of your current session. Once you reboot they startup again.

If you can identify any processes that startup & you really don't want them to automatically start? you should stop them from starting by other means.

How to do that.

START
RUN
Type "msconfig" (without the quotes) & hit OK.

Click on the startup TAB

Uncheck the check box for anything you wan to "STOP" during startup.

msconfig.jpg

Note: Once you make any changes using msconfig you will be notified of the changes at your next startup (a Msg box will appear) just check the box to tell it to "Never show this again".

-

thanks gman i will try that.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

hi g man done that and seem to be running better.:)

dont know about that g man.i will forget tomorrow what i done ,but im delighted to be learing thank you.:)

on each pc we only have the one user - was told years ago the more users you have the slower the machines is etc. so we each have our own machine and if we do need to use the one machine its all on the one user - saves space etc. just checked the cpu and seems this morning on the lappy not much is running. system idle process seems to be using the most. as for task manager ive always used control alt delete - never looked o see it on the clock lol

hi linny, having more than one user on a computer doesnt really slow it down, problem is people switch users without logging off first

this switch user option is both handy and annoying at the same time

if you switch user all applications running from previous user will be left running whereas logging off will end them

but, stick with the one if thats what you have, more space for you ! :)

pc is almost backed up now - seem to have had a few probs doing the backup, but did maange to sort out my email programme and now all my accounts saved emails etc are now on the lappy lol problem is when i shut down the pc to re install ill have no internet on any other pcs as the wireless wont work without the modem etc which is all hooked up to the main pc. still means ive not lost me email addys and email etc which is good. i can then transfer it all back over to the pc once its up and running.
incredimail is an excellent email programme and its FREE and i can confirm that the import/export data works! its a bit of fun with fun pages fun icons to let you know you have mail etc etc.

Update!!!

OK still having problems, but as some of you know had other things on my mind to deal with.

Pc is running a little better seems a few things that slow it down and make it freeze. One is msn - so i try not to use it to much, two is skype - again makes things run very slow so not used that either and for some reason this site.
Sometimes when im on techkings and have other tabs open this site either freezes or goes so slow.

Dont seem to have problem with my other forum or facebook.

Very strange,

But ive not heard from my friend who was going to loan me his backup of xp with the updates so that i can reformat this thing.
So for now will just have to put up with it. Unless i can borrow a backup from someone else.
problem is i had it reformatted a few years ago at a shop and they never gave me a back up disk Grrr!!!!

Did you check to see if they put a recovery partition on it Linny?

If you right click "My Computer" & choose "Manage" then click on "Disk Management" in the left hand pane, does your C:\ drive show one box on the right hand pane or does it show two, something like this?

partitionp.jpg

-

oh i have no idea but ill look into that now. but probably not!

No worries Linny, it was just a thought & if it had you could basically reinstall from that.

Either way though, a clean wipe & reinstall is the only fix for that regardless of what cleanup programs get suggested (IMO) :)

-

ok i found something. - sorry dont know how to do a screenshot other than on imageshack whilst web is open lol! But i found HP_RECOVERY 2.66 GB FAT32 Healthy (EISA Configeration) i also looked up and its said 19% free ?? so not sure if thats what you mean.

Plus today i bumped into my friend who has been rather busy and he is going to pop in thursday with disks etc and explain what to do. So by friday i should be back to a faster pc lol! he will sort me out with memory at a later stage.
Once ive done this pc i can then sort out lappy and my sons pc as neither of them have been reformatted since we got them - oops. then once i know and now i have everything on mine backed up to an external HD it will make my life easier in the future

BACK UP and running yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!

got a few things to sort out but main thing is i have me internet and emails back up.
I h ave a nice desktop with a skull and swords on lol! must change it! im not in the Caribbean and not stolen any ships - heehee.
Plus ive just realised that my @ is above the number 2 and my " is above the comma - so not an english version then, Im sure i can change the keyboard settings.
Just having problems connecting my External hard drive as the pc is not picking it up.
Thought this would be done quick but took about 4 hrs as there was a problem with rebooting after - would only work with disk in, but he sorted it eventually.

So By Monday i should be back up to scratch.
IVe also got no AV on here as it would not accept my license code. so got no protection.

thanks managed to sort out me avg - think my friend tried to download the wrong avg prog lol!

im getting there!

Back