PIA vpn on octagon sf8008 setup

Aftrenoon Lads,
Well im back, unfortunately STILL having problems with my VPN configuration on SF8008 with PLI 8.1 (just will NOT work) So have given up here,
and ATV 6.4 here the DNS Settings keep changing thus leading to a NETWORK Error and NO connection , unconfirmed IP and unconfirmed Nameserver.
Everytime I to set up the VPN Conf Importer with the
Import Credentials: Yes
Username: xxxxxx
Password: xxxxxx
VPN Provider: PIA
and press the Blue button to SAVE, the Box Crashes.

YES.... I do have a vpn.txt file in the /tmp folder.

Also in the VPN Manager vers.1.1.6 Top right hand corner there is NO longer any Info, like in the v.1.1.4 see attached files
This is doing my head in as I have tried a hunderd times to set this up and it still will NOT work as it should.
Sometimes when I switch ON the VPN ist takes forever and the wheel in screen corner spins for 6 mins.
Turning OFF VPN same thing wheel spins forever and then Box crashes.

YES..I have done a Clean Image install from Scratch several times to NO avail, still the same. On both images PLI and ATV

Any ideas please.
Thanks
AJP
Probably wrong username and password.
Check that they are EXACTLY as they were sent to you

@pabloescaban,
Yes... checked and double checked they are correct...I have three three accounts same user and pass, one on PC works just fine, both SF8008 Boxes = NOT.
Check in nameservers settings that Google DNS is NOT set to 8888 and 8844.
If these are set they will override the VPN DNS.
In your picture above, have you clicked Green to start VPN?

@pabloescaban,
the Nameserver settings were automatially generated and applied everytime I did a Restart Network Interface, so they come from the VPN SetUp.

The Google Open DNS 8.8.8.8 in the old Pics from may 2021 came when i was Experimenting and Testing the VPN setup cos it was NOT working properly.

Normally without VPN - ON...the Nameserver is listed as " xxx.xxx.xxx.254".. this activates the VPN and changes the DNS to "xxx.xxx.xxx.243" when its switched ON.
BUT when switching OFF using the Red OpenVpn Stop option i get the 6 min Wheel spin...!!!....the DNS changes and blocks my Internet Connection and I have to do a Full Restart,
Restart Network Interface and Network Test to check which DNS is generated and then manually change it back to "xxx.xxx.xxx.254", then take this DNS and manually change
in the Nameserver Option and do a Full Restart, Network Restart Interface for the Internet Connection to work again.

In the VPN Manager Pic above the VPN is actvated GREEN YES...its ON....but NO information is shown is this normal?
In VPN Manager it should show me the VPN - IP - Country and Region to see if its activated i have to go to the IP Checker to see if the VPN is active. and working.

What really gets me are the Box Crashes regarding the VPN Manager and the VPN Conf Importer I cannot even SAVE the settings without a Crash and re-Boot, this cannot be Normal or Good.
AJP

Check in nameservers settings that Google DNS is NOT set to 8888 and 8844.
If these are set they will override the VPN DNS.
In your picture above, have you clicked Green to start VPN?
Don't know about that both my nameservers 1 and 2 dns are set to google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 using vpn manager no problems at all obviously dns will change when running vpn , and that is on openatv 6.4 and openatv7.1 and Vix as you will know different versions also what version of vpn manager
enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnmanager_1.1.4_all.ipk for python 2.xx and enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnmanager_1.1.7-py3_all.ipk for python 3.xx.

I have had google dns lost in namservers but that can happen when trying to connect via vpnmanager and server can be down so spinning circle so locked up you reboot and your name servers are gone or they still have dns for the vpn server you were tryng to connect to .

Last edited:
Don't know about that both my nameservers 1 and 2 dns are set to google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 using vpn manager no problems at all obviously dns will change when running vpn , and that is on openatv 6.4 and openatv7.1 and Vix as you will know different versions also what version of vpn manager
enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnmanager_1.1.4_all.ipk for python 2.xx and enigma2-plugin-extensions-vpnmanager_1.1.7-py3_all.ipk for python 3.xx.

I have had google dns lost in namservers but that can happen when trying to connect via vpnmanager and server can be down so spinning circle so locked up you reboot and your name servers are gone or they still have dns for the vpn server you were tryng to connect to .
I think they're set as default in some images, so after a reboot they will revert back to Google DNS

Thanks for taking the time to answer Guys, really Apprec(y)

Tried to watch ManU & BrighHove today..at half time Wheel Spin started, looked at it for 24 mins, could NOT connect to Box via Telnet to Stop/Start Enigma,
finally Switched OFF at back and lost my DNS Nameserver settings from yesterday again.!!!
Had to Restart Network Interface and Network Test to re-assign my DNS. That did NOT work, BUT a Router re-Boot solved that, Network connection back.
This is definetly NOT normal or my IPTV Providers are Crap but I have 4 different Provider Tests running at present and they can't ALL be Shite.!!!!
One expensive, One cheap and Two in- between, am trying to find a good one.:unsure:

I will defo test the DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, I have already tried the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and that did NOT work. But I will try again.
This mess has to be sorted.:confused:

I am running ATV 6.4 latest Updated Vers for these Tests (as PLi 8.1 and IPTV does NOT work at ALL.) Oscam v.11693 and the JediMaker v.619 for my IPTV Playlists,
last but not least EPGImporter v.248 maybe one of these is screwing things up because I see that sometimes the EPGImporter has NOT run at Set time and the Sources are gone.!
I will have to get my head around this because this is NO fun at all.:confounded:
Thanks for reading:sunglasses:
AJP

Thanks for taking the time to answer Guys, really Apprec(y)

Tried to watch ManU & BrighHove today..at half time Wheel Spin started, looked at it for 24 mins, could NOT connect to Box via Telnet to Stop/Start Enigma,
finally Switched OFF at back and lost my DNS Nameserver settings from yesterday again.!!!
Had to Restart Network Interface and Network Test to re-assign my DNS. That did NOT work, BUT a Router re-Boot solved that, Network connection back.
This is definetly NOT normal or my IPTV Providers are Crap but I have 4 different Provider Tests running at present and they can't ALL be Shite.!!!!
One expensive, One cheap and Two in- between, am trying to find a good one.:unsure:

I will defo test the DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, I have already tried the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and that did NOT work. But I will try again.
This mess has to be sorted.:confused:

I am running ATV 6.4 latest Updated Vers for these Tests (as PLi 8.1 and IPTV does NOT work at ALL.) Oscam v.11693 and the JediMaker v.619 for my IPTV Playlists,
last but not least EPGImporter v.248 maybe one of these is screwing things up because I see that sometimes the EPGImporter has NOT run at Set time and the Sources are gone.!
I will have to get my head around this because this is NO fun at all.:confounded:
Thanks for reading:sunglasses:
AJP
Get a firestick or an android device and save the messing about,use the satellite box for satellite tv

Is the spinning wheel not the box overloaded trying to do too many things at once?
When I switch on the VPN via the VPN Manager then that is the ONLY Plugin running. The EPGImporter has done its daily update Scan @6.20am so that is NOT running..
The JediMaker is ONLY for the IPTV Playlists and EPG so that is also NOT running. Oscam is in that sense ON but its NOT running if I am using IPTV.
Unless its the Playlist's that are TOO big and overloading the BOX then I cant figure out what it could be.
I have a Multi Sat Motorised System with most Euro Sats (53e to 45w) about 18227 receivable Sat Channels and IPTV 83557 events.
I also have other Stationery Dishes with Astra 28e, Astra19e and Hotbird 13e these are used mostly, because the wind keeps knocking the Motorised Dish settings out
of Sync, so its Set permanently at Thor 0.8w.

BUT these ARM Boxes have super lots of Memory so should NOT really be a storage problem.

I have been doing a lot of reading about this and what I do NOT fully understand is the Resolve Files in /etc....ONE is a Resolve.orig and the OTHER a Resolve.conf/conf,
these Files are responsible for the DNS Namserver as a protection from the DNS changing or NOT?
See attached Pics these are mine..are they correct? should they be like this? .....Maybe this is why my DNS keeps changing?
Thanks Guys
AJP

PS update,
watching "Death On Nile 2022" via VOD wiith VPN switched ON, after about 20mins..Spinning Wheel and ONLY solution is to Switch Box OFF at Rear and then SetUp the DNS again
and run a new EPGImporter Scan as it reverts back to the OLD stored files and the EPG is all mixed up.

Attachments

• both resolve files in etc....png
    both resolve files in etc....png
    80.7 KB · Views: 11
  • resolve.orig.png
    resolve.orig.png
    11 KB · Views: 11
  • resolve.conf.conf.png
    resolve.conf.conf.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
When I switch on the VPN via the VPN Manager then that is the ONLY Plugin running. The EPGImporter has done its daily update Scan @6.20am so that is NOT running..
The JediMaker is ONLY for the IPTV Playlists and EPG so that is also NOT running. Oscam is in that sense ON but its NOT running if I am using IPTV.
Unless its the Playlist's that are TOO big and overloading the BOX then I cant figure out what it could be.
I have a Multi Sat Motorised System with most Euro Sats (53e to 45w) about 18227 receivable Sat Channels and IPTV 83557 events.
I also have other Stationery Dishes with Astra 28e, Astra19e and Hotbird 13e these are used mostly, because the wind keeps knocking the Motorised Dish settings out
of Sync, so its Set permanently at Thor 0.8w.

BUT these ARM Boxes have super lots of Memory so should NOT really be a storage problem.

I have been doing a lot of reading about this and what I do NOT fully understand is the Resolve Files in /etc....ONE is a Resolve.orig and the OTHER a Resolve.conf/conf,
these Files are responsible for the DNS Namserver as a protection from the DNS changing or NOT?
See attached Pics these are mine..are they correct? should they be like this? .....Maybe this is why my DNS keeps changing?
Thanks Guys
AJP

PS update,
watching "Death On Nile 2022" via VOD wiith VPN switched ON, after about 20mins..Spinning Wheel and ONLY solution is to Switch Box OFF at Rear and then SetUp the DNS again
and run a new EPGImporter Scan as it reverts back to the OLD stored files and the EPG is all mixed up.
did you also switch vpn back on before running epg importer.

did you also switch vpn back on before running epg importer.
Tried both with and without VPN, makes no difference.
I have given up on getting the the VPN to run properly with image ATV 6.4.

Another stupid thing happens now when watching the uncrypted Smithsonian HD Channel on Astra 28e with ATV 6.4, the box just switches itself OFF and re-boots.
VPN OFF or ON makes no difference. After re-booting it runs another 20 mins then switches itself OFF again..totally mind boggling.

Have gone back to a new Clean installed Pli 8.1 without VPN or any VPN files installed, the DNS nameserver stays as it should now and does NOT change.
Now at least we can watch TV without all these totally frustrating errors and faults..!
Thanks for all your tips and suggestions Guys, really apprec
regards
AJP

Tried both with and without VPN, makes no difference.
I have given up on getting the the VPN to run properly with image ATV 6.4.

Another stupid thing happens now when watching the uncrypted Smithsonian HD Channel on Astra 28e with ATV 6.4, the box just switches itself OFF and re-boots.
VPN OFF or ON makes no difference. After re-booting it runs another 20 mins then switches itself OFF again..totally mind boggling.

Have gone back to a new Clean installed Pli 8.1 without VPN or any VPN files installed, the DNS nameserver stays as it should now and does NOT change.
Now at least we can watch TV without all these totally frustrating errors and faults..!
Thanks for all your tips and suggestions Guys, really apprec
regards
AJP
vpn work no problem on open atv6.4 I use vpn manager and i can switch between at least 4 different vpns no problem at all.

OK Guys,
Have moved this theme from here
Skin Modder post #12
into this older VPN thread, makes more sense.

VPN does NOT work anymore and i keep getting BLUE screen. When trying to SAVE the (Credentials, User & Pass and VPN Provider) details in the "VPNConf Importer". (see PIc attached)
VPNManager is v.1.14 and VPNConfig is v.0.9. Files are ALL in place correctly, including the "vpn.text" with User & Pass on two seperate lines in /var/volatile/tmp/ folder
and a "vpn.conf" with User & Pass in /media/hdd/ folder as well.
The Country list keeps disappearing and i cannot STOP VPN via VPNManager a complete disaster. Driving me Nuts. Got this PIA VPN deal and cannot use it.:dizzy:
I am going to try the VPNManager v.1.17, is there a newer version of VPNConfig? update.......(v.1.17 does NOT work cos its for Py 3)
Still using openATV 6.4. Image dated 17.04.2023.

I really dont know if this and ALL these issues are SKIN related, cannot really imagine.

I have delete ALL the VPN Files, re-bootet the Box and started from Scratch.....exact same problems.:angry:
I have attached the latest Crash log from today @10.30, maybe you more experienced Guys can find/see why it keeps crashing.

Thanks for having a look Guys maybe you can find something(y)
Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• enigma2_crash_1681723801.rar
    7.4 KB · Views: 3
  • VPNConf Importer.png
    VPNConf Importer.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OK Guys,
Have moved this theme from here
Skin Modder post #12
into this older VPN thread, makes more sense.

VPN does NOT work anymore and i keep getting BLUE screen. When trying to SAVE the (Credentials, User & Pass and VPN Provider) details in the "VPNConf Importer".
VPNManager is v.1.14 and VPNConfig is v.0.9. Files are ALL in place correctly, including the "vpn.text" with User & Pass on two seperate lines in /var/volatile/tmp/ folder
and a "vpn.conf" with User & Pass in /media/hdd/ folder as well.
The Country list keeps disappearing and i cannot STOP VPN via VPNManager a complete disaster. Driving me Nuts. Got this PIA VPN deal and cannot use it.:dizzy:
I am going to try the VPNManager v.1.17, is there a newer version of VPNConfig? update.......(v.1.17 does NOT work cos its for Py 3)
Still using openATV 6.4. Image dated 17.04.2023.

I really dont know if this and ALL these issues are SKIN related, cannot really imagine.

I have delete ALL the VPN Files, re-bootet the Box and started from Scratch.....exact same problems.:angry:
I have attached the latest Crash log from today @10.30

Thanks for having a look Guys maybe you can find something(y)
Cheers
Andrew
You are running a mish mash setup, outdated firmware and just done an online update no wonder you are having issues. Find a new Skin do a fresh install of a python 3 image and go from there.

@moshibeth, this ATV 6.4 was a fresh daily build. and only updated once, I have read here support will end for the stable 6.4.

So I have tried and installed ATV 7.2 on Multiboot, installed another Skin the Ekselance v.3.1 from 2022.
Will test and report back.
Thanks
Andrew

@moshibeth, this ATV 6.4 was a fresh daily build. and only updated once, I have read here support will end for the stable 6.4.

So I have tried and installed ATV 7.2 on Multiboot, installed another Skin the Ekselance v.3.1 from 2022.
Will test and report back.
Thanks
Andrew
Is that skin compatible for python 3 that is the first thing to check.

Back