ET8500 QUAD TUNER Problem with volume

makido

VIP Member
A friend of mine as an et8500 and as an annoying problem
On the remote the volume is always set to 100 and they use the tv remote to increase the volume if needed.
I keep getting a call saying they cant hear the tv despite the box remote and the tv remote being set to the max at 100.
When it first did it I reflashed the box thinking it was a setting that had messed up but that made no change to the volume at all.
After thinking about it for a while I logged into webif and there was the problem, the volume in there was set at 25, so I turned it up to the 100 and all was good again.

The problem is it only lasts a couple of days and it does the same again, so I have to take my laptop round and log in to webif to sort it as my friend as no clue what to do.
Does any one have any idea as to what is causing this, is it something my friend is doing or what.

Must be an ATV thing, I use mine daily and never had a problem on ViX.
Unless of course it's finger/button trouble.

I dunno its a strange one thats for sure. Ive gotta say I never experienced this problem when I had one running atv

I have a couple of audio problems myself with the Xtrend 8500 (DVB-C) running Open ATV and the audio handshaking with my AV Receiver.

Firstly, a quirky issue when the box is first turned on, if on a HD channel there is picture but no audio....a quick change to any SD channel and the audio comes through fine and I can switch back to any given HD channel...most odd.

Secondly, with recordings if there is a glitch freeze with the softcam on recordings for a split second then the audio will again drop, a slight rewind and play to the point just after the glitch and the audio will come through the AV receiver again just fine.

Not sure if its Open ATV or as I said an audio handshaking issue with the Receiver, but I am most certainly going to try OpenVix in my other boot image partition.

I must be one of a few though that prefer Open ATV over Open Vix...before now I have had Open Vix lock up on software updates and find the GUI slightly easier to navigate...but going to give Vix another go.

Yeah I could try the multiboot option, dont know how they will get on with vix tho as they have always run atv.
But I can change the buttons round so it feels a bit like atv, mainly the green button for opening the plugin list.
@Willo3092 do you have the file for the multiboot option please

Edit
Found it had it saved on usb from before

Last edited:
Well my own audio problem I have isolated down now to a handshaking issue with my AV Receiver as it is doing exactly the same as it was on Open ATV with Open Vix on my own Xtrend ET8500, so for me my (differing) audio issues are not software related.

@makido One thing that would be worth ruling out is the IR for the remote may have similar codes as the TV and causing the decreasing volume of the Xtrend box, although if it always lowers to exactly 25/100 and has to be reset using openwebif I doubt it is that.

Ive flashed vix on the box for now so will see what happens.
Its weird cos when it happens and you reflash the box the remote is still on 100, ao something is wrong somewhere

Well other than it being the tv remote interfering with the 8500 remote somehow, I dont know what else it can be. The tv is an lg
Ive tried atv and vix and the sound still goes. The box remote is never touched once it is set to 100. Anyone any ideas

Have you got forward volume keys set in HDMICEC?
I always set the receiver volume at 100 and disable forwarding the volume keys and just control the volume on the TV.

No its not enabled as far as I know. But will double check

EDIT
Just rung him and no its not even enabled, so it cant be anything to do with that.
Next thing to try is another tv, but surely other people would of at least experienced this, should it be the lg tv.
I just dont know im a bit stumped I will be honest

Last edited:
Just to update this thread, it looks like it was a tv to box problem as they have now swapped tvs and it hasnt happened since.
I have asked them to try the lg again to see if it happens again....but then what? :unsure:

Back