Problem with ZGemma H9.2S box

kybo

Hi all,
2nd post so apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
I appear to have done something to break my box.
Set-up
Super Hub 4 -> GL-AR750 -> H9.2S all wired connections
I have been using this set up for 2 years without issue. The other day I turned WIFI off on the AR750 to realise the VPN config wasn't working correctly so I sorted that out.
When I plugged the H9.2S back into the AR750 I had no internet. I googled for a solution and only got so far as to adding Primary and secondary nameservers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
On SAVE I got an error saying Flash full (I believe it said 202Mb of 202Mb used, 12kb free).
Now I am struggling to get the ZGemma box to load properly. It loads Open ATV splash screen then seems to lock up.
As far as I know (I didn't do any of the installs) it's got Open ATV, Wooshbuild Infinity with numerous XE named plug-ins (XE is version 6.2 IIRC).
*EDIT* With some type of Sky Q skin */EDIT*
If I can get to the menu functions, is there any way I can make space in the Flash memory? I have a plug-in called file commander or similar which I could use to see the directories of the memory and the USB stick that is mounted. Any files/directories I can delete safely to make space?

If I can't get to the menu I take it I'm going to have to reload all the software, from scratch?
If I need to do this are there guides on how to do this, what to install and in which order to install them?
Will this mean my XE code number will change?

Are there easier boxes, that don't require as much technical skills?

Sorry for so many questions but this is well beyond me and kiddie steps will be needed.
Thanks for listening.
TKK

Last edited:
Hi all,
2nd post so apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
I appear to have done something to break my box.
Set-up
Super Hub 4 -> GL-AR750 -> H9.2S all wired connections
I have been using this set up for 2 years without issue. The other day I turned WIFI off on the AR750 to realise the VPN config wasn't working correctly so I sorted that out.
When I plugged the H9.2S back into the AR750 I had no internet. I googled for a solution and only got so far as to adding Primary and secondary nameservers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
On SAVE I got an error saying Flash full (I believe it said 202Mb of 202Mb used, 12kb free).
Now I am struggling to get the ZGemma box to load properly. It loads Open ATV splash screen then seems to lock up.
As far as I know (I didn't do any of the installs) it's got Open ATV, Wooshbuild Infinity with numerous XE named plug-ins (XE is version 6.2 IIRC).
*EDIT* With some type of Sky Q skin */EDIT*
If I can get to the menu functions, is there any way I can make space in the Flash memory? I have a plug-in called file commander or similar which I could use to see the directories of the memory and the USB stick that is mounted. Any files/directories I can delete safely to make space?

If I can't get to the menu I take it I'm going to have to reload all the software, from scratch?
If I need to do this are there guides on how to do this, what to install and in which order to install them?
Will this mean my XE code number will change?

Are there easier boxes, that don't require as much technical skills?

Sorry for so many questions but this is well beyond me and kiddie steps will be needed.
Thanks for listening.
TKK
If you have multiple instances of XE you You can remove the ones not in use.
Also other unused plugins can be removed.
What plugins are installed that you don't use?

Off the top of my head I'm not sure, sorry.
There were probably around 10 in the Plug-ins section.
OpenWebIF ?
An ATV one?
CrossEPG Downloader?
Dream-Explorer
EPG Importer
Program commander (like File Manager)
XE
XE Downloader
XE VOD
XE VPN
several more

It's easier to tell you which I've used - pretty much just the XE plug-in
Looked at XE VOD but none of the feeds appeared to work so never used it again
Looked in the File manager style plug-in as I thought I might have been able to regain some flash memory/space
I don't know what the others do so I haven't messed with them.

NB: I think it's bricked
I've had the power out the back for 24hrs and plugged it back in earlier. The Box's logo is white as if it's on - All I've got is a black/blank screen - the remote doesn't do anything, doesn't turn it off or anything.

Start from square 1?? :fearscream:

Go in to the plugin menu press the red button it will show you the plugins installed.

Maybe you can work out what you can remove from the list it gives you. If not ask us.

Also check that picons and epg are on the usb and not in the flash .

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I'm not sure, sorry.
There were probably around 10 in the Plug-ins section.
OpenWebIF ?
An ATV one?
CrossEPG Downloader?
Dream-Explorer
EPG Importer
Program commander (like File Manager)
XE
XE Downloader
XE VOD
XE VPN
several more

It's easier to tell you which I've used - pretty much just the XE plug-in
Looked at XE VOD but none of the feeds appeared to work so never used it again
Looked in the File manager style plug-in as I thought I might have been able to regain some flash memory/space
I don't know what the others do so I haven't messed with them.

NB: I think it's bricked
I've had the power out the back for 24hrs and plugged it back in earlier. The Box's logo is white as if it's on - All I've got is a black/blank screen - the remote doesn't do anything, doesn't turn it off or anything.

Start from square 1?? :fearscream:
You need to get the box powered up before you can do anything else.
Remove any HDD or usb attached to the box.
Plug it in.
Ignore ethernet and WiFi for now.
Does it power up?

Log in to router and find IP address of box. Using Putty/terminal or similar, connect to box. (You probably won't be able to use the terminal client in OpenWebif). Issue/send following command:

init 4

Then using Filezilla or other FTP, delete following files :
epg.dat, picon folder on root of internal flash.

Post a screenshot of contents ofv/usr/share/enigma2 There will be several skins, we can advise what to delete

To restart box, issue following command
init 3

Thanks to everyone that's shared their knowledge so far.
Currently working so I'll try all the suggestions later and let you know.

2 questions
Is there a guide on how to make EPG and Picons save to USB
How can I expand the Flash Size - I read about Flash Expander (?) but I don't have that and can't load it at the minute.

Thank you,
TKK

Can you ftp in with filezilla now to see where the picons are currently ?

Check /media/usb/picon if there in there your fine.

If not check for picons in the flash, probably in usr/share/enigma2/picon

As for where your EPG is stored then look through importer settings or cross epg which ever your using and make sure usb is selected

Picons:
If you are installing picons from the plugin server, if you have a USB/HDD in ext file system, it will ask you where to install them.

EPG:
In the EPG settings menu, there is an option which will determine the location..

Hi there,

I don't think I've been using either of those plug-ins - I go to XE Editor and press yellow to import bouquets and blue to import EPG, then green to Save.

I'll read up on putty and try later this afternoon.

Thanks

Hi there,

I don't think I've been using either of those plug-ins - I go to XE Editor and press yellow to import bouquets and blue to import EPG, then green to Save.

I'll read up on putty and try later this afternoon.

Thanks
In your XE main settings it asks you where you want to save EPG and picons to.
It should be media/hdd

I guess that assumes he has his usb mounted as media/hdd though.
Does enigma2 have a default?
I've never mounted any usb and never had any problems.
I just initialise it then use it for recording, EPG and anything else. Epgimporter and XE and other plugins ask for locations and media/HDD is usually set as default and I just click ok and away it goes.

Not sure what mount actually does unless it's for multiple usb and HDD

You can mount a usb to media/usb or media/hdd .

It may well have a default that any removable media is mounted as media/hdd im not sure you could be right. I use both a hdd and usb they are mounted as the hardware they are.

UPDATE
I've made a complete mess!! But at least I can now access the box.
I held the reset button down and powered it up. NB: it wouldn't load anything until I put the USB back in.
Open ATV started loading, then I waited to Wooshbuild Infinity to load but nothing.
All I seem to have is an Open ATV basic Main menu. So I think I've somehow removed wooshbuild and all the plug-ins and all the skins
I've gone to plug-ins list to re-install XE but it's not listed.
I did see FlashExpander so I downloaded that - when I try to open it it tells me to install it, then tells me I need to initialise the USB stick.
I don't want to do that - could I have the plug ins and wooshbuild on there?
How would I check that?
I have the IP address now and have installed putty - I tried using File explorer to access the IP but it's asking for network credentials - what are they?
What's my next move?

Sorry for messing up and asking so many questions
Thanks
TKK

UPDATE
I've made a complete mess!! But at least I can now access the box.
I held the reset button down and powered it up. NB: it wouldn't load anything until I put the USB back in.
Open ATV started loading, then I waited to Wooshbuild Infinity to load but nothing.
All I seem to have is an Open ATV basic Main menu. So I think I've somehow removed wooshbuild and all the plug-ins and all the skins
I've gone to plug-ins list to re-install XE but it's not listed.
I did see FlashExpander so I downloaded that - when I try to open it it tells me to install it, then tells me I need to initialise the USB stick.
I don't want to do that - could I have the plug ins and wooshbuild on there?
How would I check that?
I have the IP address now and have installed putty - I tried using File explorer to access the IP but it's asking for network credentials - what are they?
What's my next move?

Sorry for messing up and asking so many questions
Thanks
TKK
You haven't messed anything up, the box looks like it's using plain openatv.
Wooshbuild isn't really supported any longer so you can either stick will plain atv or use Grogbuild.
You don't install XE from plugins menu it's installed by command line in putty.
To access putty or openwebif it needs the password.
The password is whatever you make it yourself, menu, setup, system, network, password setup

I found/installed Dream-Explorer and modified the passwd file to remove the 'x'.
Now, I do not know how to use Putty - I have just entered the IP and clicked Connect
IA CMD style window opened and said Login as: so I put root and <enter>
It now says root@zgemmah9s:~#

Does this mean I'm connected OK?

Basically the channels came up in a skin that looked similar to Sky Q system. I'd just like to get back to that.
I imagine I need to install Grogbuild, the XE plug in and the relevant skin, then give my provider my new XE code number?

Thank you so much

I found/installed Dream-Explorer and modified the passwd file to remove the 'x'.
Now, I do not know how to use Putty - I have just entered the IP and clicked Connect
IA CMD style window opened and said Login as: so I put root and <enter>
It now says root@zgemmah9s:~#

Does this mean I'm connected OK?

Basically the channels came up in a skin that looked similar to Sky Q system. I'd just like to get back to that.
I imagine I need to install Grogbuild, the XE plug in and the relevant skin, then give my provider my new XE code number?

Thank you so much
Also, in Dream Explorer I checked all storage devices, clicked on my USB and it came up as /media/hdd and has folders called h9, icon, SkyQ, timeshift and var. In the media/hdd is a file called EPG.dat (does this mean picons and EPG are saving to USB?)

Back