problems streaming from 1 box to another

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
I have 2 enigma 2 boxes, box 1 in the living room has a 1tb hard drive where all recordings are stored, we only record on box 1, box 2 in the bedroom just has a usb stick for epg etc but also has a network mount pointing to the hdd on box 1 so we can go to bed and watch recordings made on box 1.

The boxes are connected to the router using BT Broadband Extender Flex 1000 Powerline Adapters

This setup has worked well for over a year now. but in the past couple of months things have gone a bit strange.

If we watch recordings on box 1, which had the hdd, they play perfectly, as expected.

If we watch the tv recordings on box 2, the sound comes and goes and then goes out of sync, sometimes pausing the recording or rewinding a few seconds fixes the issue. It doesn't always happen.

If we record an IPTV VOD (paid sub) on box 1 and watch that on box 2 they play perfectly.

So it's only tv recordings that go funny. I've reset and even reflashed all the boxes. I have rebooted the router. I thought maybe box 2 (an H2H) was on the way out so put a new box in the bedroom, an H52tc and still have the same issue.

I've got a box 3 in the back room which is not even powered on normally, it has no sat/cable feeds and just uses channel importer to use a tuner on box 1, again uses a bt homeplug, it also like box 2 has a network mount to the hdd on box 1 for playing back recordings and they look to play perfectly.

Is it likely that the homeplug on box 2 is on its way out? they're probably about a year old as I had full lan cable before them. If it is the homeplugs how come .stream (IPTV recordings) play perfectly but .ts (tv recordings) don't?

Any idea's would be appreciated.

I found that when my last set of homeplugs where packing in I got lots of
glitching and had to restart the Cam to get the connection back,
at first I thought my server had some problems but it turned out to be the homeplugs.

So if it is the homeplugs maybe you should see something similar.

Have you tried doing a low level format on the Hdd, try Hddguru it's a free download
it seems to sort out most issues.

Thanks @bees the recordings play fine on box 1 and 3, so although I have thought about reformatting the HDD, I didn't see that being the issue.

As box 3, which is hardly used, doesn't appear to have the same problem I might pinch the homeplug off that and try it on box 2, but I can't understand while recorded IPTV Streams play OK but the TV recordings don't, even though they all play fine on other boxes. Time to drag furniture out the way to get to the plugs:)

I know what you mean, there is no obvious cause so you will just have to
mess about till you find a solution.

Any audio sync issue I have had stemmed from the Hdd, that's why I suggested it.

I sometimes get them on films I download, if I fast forward sometimes it goes out of sync,
It doesn't sort it's self out if it keeps playing so I have to restart the film.

If I use the time jump button, (15 min interval) it never goes out of sync.

Fast forward button on recordings works fine though, never have the issue.

It may not have a direct fix, just a fudge :grin::grin::grin:

Well I switched the homeplugs over between boxes 2 and 3, a quick 5 minute playback both look ok. Not bothered to much about box 3 but will test box 2 again later. If that doesn't solve it then will wipe the hdd.

Well I switched the homeplugs over between boxes 2 and 3, a quick 5 minute playback both look ok. Not bothered to much about box 3 but will test box 2 again later. If that doesn't solve it then will wipe the hdd.

Hi, slightly off topic. I've searched for some concise instructions on how to play ZG box 1 recordings on box 2 without success. Can you point me in the right direction?

Back