Pubs.

any particular reason why?

one main door in and out.

staff on the door.

local police station 100m away.

trust me, nobody has ever gotten served in there when they are told "no" , it is simply not allowed.
I wasn't referring to your particular pub , I mean't on a whole, can you imagine the aggro, late friday nights when the average pub with no doormen try to stop groups of pissed up lads coming through the doors ?

Wife and I get home deliveries from supermarket, son in law has on mabe 2 or 3 occasions picked up an item that we have run out of. I did go into Aldis last week first time since LD , but wont be doing that again , very few people wearing masks.
it's each to their own at the minute bud. if thats how you feel then i can completely understand that.

i go out regularly, keep my distance form people who i dont know etc.

we have had a few close friends round since the beginning of lockdown who we trust to let us know if they show symptoms and i am happy with that, thats my choice.

it's going to be a long hard slog to either get used to the changes in our lifestyle or to wait for a vaccine.

i dont for one minute fancy keeping away from everyone or everywhere until that time comes but its a choice i have chosen to take (y)

I’ll be out on Saturday. Firstly to my local, then a restaurant. They both have my contact details as per Govt. guidlines.

I’ll be one of the ‘piss heads’ watching the footie as was succinctly put above. And if anyone, in front of me at the bar, orders a coffee, I’ll go apoplectic with rage! :-)

I wasn't referring to your particular pub , I mean't on a whole, can you imagine the aggro, late friday nights when the average pub with no doormen try to stop groups of pissed up lads coming through the doors ?
the management of every pub will have to make their own choices as to how they run their businesses, if they cant or wont stop that issue occuring then they should not be in the pub game.

I’ll be out on Saturday. Firstly to my local, then a restaurant. They both have my contact details as per Govt. guidlines.

I’ll be one of the ‘piss heads’ watching the footie as was succinctly put above. And if anyone, in front of me at the bar, orders a coffee, I’ll go apoplectic with rage! :-)

our pub will not be showing football, simple as.

two of my sons work for a major pub chain which is opening Saturday, on of them is the kitchen manager and he and the pub manager was back in work from last Monday to clear tables out etc. the rest of the staff have to go in on Friday for training. He has said they are doing the following:

1. NOT taking bookings, it's like supermarkets, you will just have to queue
2. No standing, people will need to be sat at tables, which are now spread out.
3. Tables only sit 2 or 4 people, if you arrive as a group of more than 4 you will not be sat on tables near each other, you will be sat at which ever table is available
4. they are considering having just one till open but other staff behind bar doing the app orders to encourage people to order via the app.
5. tables have screens between them where possible.
6. to time limits which could be fun, ie you have the regular old guy who comes in in the morning, sits on his tod reading the racing post and spends all day in the pub, not heavy drinkers but steady. The problem is he could be sat on his own on a table for 4 people which is obviously not ideal and may cause friction if a group have been queing for an hour to get a table. They will NOT be putting time limits on or asking him to leave, it's guys like this that spend money day in day out in the pub even if the pub is dead, you will see this guy.

Wife and I get home deliveries from supermarket, son in law has on mabe 2 or 3 occasions picked up an item that we have run out of. I did go into Aldis last week first time since LD , but wont be doing that again , very few people wearing masks.
As of 5th June fewer than one in 1000 people per day were contracting the virus and it's come down a lot since then.
Of this 0.1% only 1% will have a serious version of the disease, so one person in 100,000 people who are unlucky enough to catch it will be hospitalised.
Which explains how many have already had it

two of my sons work for a major pub chain which is opening Saturday, on of them is the kitchen manager and he and the pub manager was back in work from last Monday to clear tables out etc. the rest of the staff have to go in on Friday for training. He has said they are doing the following:

1. NOT taking bookings, it's like supermarkets, you will just have to queue
2. No standing, people will need to be sat at tables, which are now spread out.
3. Tables only sit 2 or 4 people, if you arrive as a group of more than 4 you will not be sat on tables near each other, you will be sat at which ever table is available
4. they are considering having just one till open but other staff behind bar doing the app orders to encourage people to order via the app.
5. tables have screens between them where possible.
6. to time limits which could be fun, ie you have the regular old guy who comes in in the morning, sits on his tod reading the racing post and spends all day in the pub, not heavy drinkers but steady. The problem is he could be sat on his own on a table for 4 people which is obviously not ideal and may cause friction if a group have been queing for an hour to get a table. They will NOT be putting time limits on or asking him to leave, it's guys like this that spend money day in day out in the pub even if the pub is dead, you will see this guy.
On a separate note , have you ever found a pub chain that serves decent grub ? Its all boil in the bag , microwave stuff , spoons for example, the bacon and sausages are cheap and horrible . There are 3 pub grub "chain" houses near me, always packed. I wouldn't serve the crap they produce to my dog, makes you wonder what some people eat at home.

Local pub near me was packed to the rafters most nights before all of this happened.

They also made fresh food which I gather more than anything for families was main reason for coming to the pub other than a drink.

Showing football should be banned from all pubs imo for the foreseeable future. Dont want any issues with fans being off their head watching the footy.

Last edited:
On a separate note , have you ever found a pub chain that serves decent grub ? Its all boil in the bag , microwave stuff , spoons for example, the bacon and sausages are cheap and horrible . There are 3 pub grub "chain" houses near me, always packed. I wouldn't serve the crap they produce to my dog, makes you wonder what some people eat at home.
I always find independant pubs do better food but they're hard to find these days. My son is kitchen manager for one of the said chains and not everything is boil in the bag, most of it is frozen stuff like you and I would get in iceland just on larger quantities.

Agreed seems most pubs do put out crap food.

Some local pubs do make food themselves with their chefs like one near me.

Know few guys who used to go their most days of the week for the food because was made fresh and even when I use to walk past the pub always used to have outside what todays special was. Which included fish and chips with mushy peas, sheperds pie, sunday roast etc.

But as grog says hard to find such pubs who put fresh good food out.

Independent pub near me.
Uses oven chips, as they all do, but the rest of his grub is ok, not too expensive and decent sized portions too

I always find independant pubs do better food but they're hard to find these days. My son is kitchen manager for one of the said chains and not everything is boil in the bag, most of it is frozen stuff like you and I would get in iceland just on larger quantities.
Yes, even frozen stuff, I wouldn't pay to be served a meal that had frosen veg or worse still those frozen chips/fries. There's a pub in a village near me that does mostly fresh food and its as good as pub grub gets, but its usually fairly quiet and driving there I pass one of those chain pubs that serves awful and the car park is always full :LOL::LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, even frozen stuff, I wouldn't pay to be served a meal that had frosen veg or worse still those frozen chips/fries. There's a pub in a village near me that does mostly fresh food and its as good as pub grub gets, but its usually fairly quiet and driving there I pass one of those chain pubs that serves awful and the car park is always full :LOL::LOL:

it's very much like the mcdonalds theory.

make all branches the same in each country, same offers in every one, same menu.

the vast majority of people want to know what they can expect before they enter the premises.

we lost £75k about 4 years ago in a pub lease, trying to get an old local country food pub back to its former glory.

got great feedback but footfall was low and brewery fees were high.

would have crippled a lot of people, we had an IVA that was £2,200 a month and paid it for over 3 years. the firm i worked for folded last september so i havent bothered to work since then. the IVA company decide how much you need to survive each month and take the rest. when my firm folded we still owed £22k. my full salary went to the IVA each month hence the decision to not work until it was completed. 3 months ago they agreed to write off all of the debt bar £1500 :-)

next month is our last payment so i will be back in the job market again :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why they knock it out cheap and it will tastes the same what ever chain you go in from Blackpool to Birmingham,plus it's mostly kids doing the cooking so it's got to be easy not to mess it up.Give me a local Indian or Chinese restaurant anyday. I love seekh keebab on a garlic naan with salad and lashings of chilli sauce.

If i ever see my local pub back open only another month to go as i miss my freshly made meal and the bit of craic,next issue to overcome how to eat and drink wearing a face mask.

Back