Raspberry Pi 3 model b for IPTV

Buckham_uk

TK Veteran
Anyone have any info for this? What's it like for running IPTV compared to an android box. And if the wifi is better on one of these compared to android box of similar value.

I'm not too bad with setups so quite confident I could set a pi up, if it requires it?

Runs Kodi beautifully (don't bother installing Raspbian GUI if its only a Kodi box you're after) , would also highly recommend an ASUS Tinkerboard , you can get them from PC World for about £50 but they are 4K ready with about 2X the specs of raspberry pi ..... I run Kodi on mine and it runs fantastic !

It doesn't necessarily have to run kodi but the android store so I can download an IPTV app. Don't know if I need kodi for this? 4K would be decent if that becomes more available on IPTV though. Will look into the tinkerboard. Again though do you guys know what the wifi cards? Are like in these devices? Homeplugs with Ethernet will be the eventual goal but for now wifi will have to suffice

Tinkerboard maxes out my 54mb connection , pi pulls in about 34mb so more than enough (Tinkerboard has 1gb ethernet port if you do decide to use wireless , pi is 100mb)

Use the tinkerboard on wifi and the raspberry pi as a dedicated seedbox (wired) ..... if you wanted a stable , high quality wifi based Kodi biard I'd recommend the tinkerboard over the Pi ....

Bit of research done and I see it says the antenna is upgradeable? Having never ventured into this sort of thing could you tell me how that works?

It's a simple small form antenna connection (it's already attached to the board when you buy it , you only have to attach the CPU cooler) but honestly I doubt you will need to upgrade. It's a powerful antenna anyway (I get full bars at other side of the house)

www.tinkerboarding.co.uk is a great little site to get an idea of the board with. I'd also youtube "explainingcomputers tinkerboard" .... his latest video deals exclusively with reviewing Kodi :)

Last edited:
Back