My computers specs:

• i7-2700k Intel CPU (3.5GHz) Sandybridge
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM (16gb Max) - 1333MHz
  • 500gb Sata III Hard Drive, 7200RPM
  • (ASUS P8H61-MLE USB3)
  • NVidia GTX550Ti
  • 500W PSU
Thanks!

I realise that replying to these sort of threads isn't the most interesting task and most of the people the post them up just want 'Yeah it's great' and then they never post on the forum again. Personally I found Tech Kings through a Google search and thought it would be a good community to join as I head further into the realm of computers. I saw this thread and thought I'd post my specs! I suppose the reason isn't to get an 'out of 10' it's more to seek advice, from the community, on the main parts of the rig that stand out as being particularly good or bad.

I was proud of getting all the parts and building the computer for just under £400!

If you do have the time to let me know what you think it would be appreciated!

I was proud of getting all the parts and building the computer for just under £400!

And so you should be OiTea (y)

Your patience & politeness in your two previous posts deserves a response to your initial question, so here it is :)

As far as systems go there's nothing wrong with that build. You have to build a machine to fully appreciate the satisfaction achieved from taking all those parts (pretty useless on their own) and putting them all together, finally getting to press that power button and waiting in anticipation in the hope that everything fires up without any loud bangs or puffs of bad smelling smoke lol
Then you install the OS and actually bring the whole project to life ;) You add all the missing drivers, install you preferred programs, tweak everything to your particular liking & eventually become one with the system so to speak. After some time using the system you start to understand it's personality a little better and you eventually get to know your new little baby so well that you almost know exactly where to go if and when it ever starts to act up?

As for your opening question?

Like I said, it's a fine machine & if I were to change anything to enhance it? I'd put an SSD drive in for the OS, they are very keenly priced at the minute too (The Samsung 830 & the Crucial M4 are my top two of choice).

I would also question the i7, not that there is anything wrong with it, there's not, but as far as bang for buck goes I still maintain the i5 2500K is as much as anyone would require unless their needs were of an extraordinary resource hungry nature, like running the worlds banking system lol

You see, when it comes to self builds? the choice of parts is a personal one and should only really be influenced by the builders end requirements & budget. Intel & their likes have made serious money from users who buy i7's solely because they think it's the best, or, they think it's great to be up there with e latest technology at any cost, even if the final use for the system is surfing & email.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that this is the case with you OiTea, I'm simply throwing out my thoughts.

I wish you many happy trouble free years with your new system.

You seem to have done well with the cost of your system though? £400 is not bad at all for a system like that. Of course the research & sourcing of compatible parts is all part of the fun too? Did you enjoy that learning curve?

So, two questions for you

1. What was the main requirements you wanted from your new build?

2. What case are you using? I take it you had that already as you never mentioned it in your Spec? It would be good too if you detailed the brand names for your RAM, HDD & power supply in your Spec. Some times the right brand means an awful lot when it comes to reliability & longevity ;)

Back