Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

But they haven't increased it anytime ours will get the increase one contract is up. Not aimed at you but Why is there not a thread saying we all cancel our electrical and gas providers try and call there retensions team , were talking £5 a month where as gas and electric has almost doubled daily you don't pay that you freeze or without electricity not broadband unless sim based :smiley:
"But they haven't increased it anytime ours will get the increase one contract is up" I'D DEFINATELEY ring them and double check that , because that is exactly the position I thought I was in, but seems not. and yes I am freezing lol ❄️

Those who got the letter/email when is the date to give notice to avoid fees I imagine would be the same date for everyone?

But they haven't increased it anytime ours will get the increase one contract is up. Not aimed at you but Why is there not a thread saying we all cancel our electrical and gas providers try and call there retensions team , were talking £5 a month where as gas and electric has almost doubled daily you don't pay that you freeze or without electricity not broadband unless sim based :smiley:
Your not wrong mate but the monopoly by the big energy companies makes it so tough to get a decent deal now for gas and electricity.

Small companies gone bust and now the big companies who have the stranglehold they can and will charge what they want sadly. Prices for most wont really go down no matter if you threaten to leave them as the big energy companies are all there together.

Those who got the letter/email when is the date to give notice to avoid fees I imagine would be the same date for everyone?

Your not wrong mate but the monopoly by the big energy companies makes it so tough to get a decent deal now for gas and electricity.

Small companies gone bust and now the big companies who have the stranglehold they can and will charge what they want sadly. Prices for most wont really go down no matter if you threaten to leave them as the big energy companies are all there together.
"Those who got the letter/email when is the date to give notice to avoid fees I imagine would be the same date for everyone?"
My letter said I've got till 21st. Feb to cancell without fees being charged.

Mine's going up £3.25 on March 1st and I've got to 25th February to cancel
Same increase for me and date , but 21st. Feb to cancell. Even though my current contract ends 1st Sept./22, when it goes from £32 a month for 200 mbs up to £44 a month I'm still hit with this increase ?, thats what I was trying to explain to "urie" earlier he thinks because he's in a contract it won't affect him ( I hope he's right), but I've suggested he double checks that.

Received My Letter today.
£3.25 increase also.
Will call them, and put a cancellation order in.
Let's see what happens. (y)

l have a hamster in his wheel charging my battery(y):ROFLMAO:

well got my letter yesterday. Price increase of £3.25 a month from 1st March, have until 25th Feb to cancel. But then my 'loyalty discount' ends in May which is £21 a month discount, when it ends my 350mb broadband and landline will go from £41.50 (no £44.75) up to £65. That is more than the 1GB broadband.

I'm not afraid of cancelling, as I do it everytime my loyalty discount is about to end, but do I want to do it early, will I get such a good discount when retentions call me back. or do I accept this £3.25 increase for 2 months and then give cancellation notice in April?

well got my letter yesterday. Price increase of £3.25 a month from 1st March, have until 25th Feb to cancel. But then my 'loyalty discount' ends in May which is £21 a month discount, when it ends my 350mb broadband and landline will go from £41.50 (no £44.75) up to £65. That is more than the 1GB broadband.

I'm not afraid of cancelling, as I do it everytime my loyalty discount is about to end, but do I want to do it early, will I get such a good discount when retentions call me back. or do I accept this £3.25 increase for 2 months and then give cancellation notice in April?
Wont matter mate as got best deal to date last year when had over 6 months left for loyalty discount to end.

So this time around you should expect either the same deal or potentially even better when you give the cancellation notice.

Have few months left of the discount wont make any difference as the outbound retention team will do everything to keep you including giving you even greater deals than before.

Same increase for me and date , but 21st. Feb to cancell. Even though my current contract ends 1st Sept./22, when it goes from £32 a month for 200 mbs up to £44 a month I'm still hit with this increase ?, thats what I was trying to explain to "urie" earlier he thinks because he's in a contract it won't affect him ( I hope he's right), but I've suggested he double checks that.
Heay , just asked the wife where is the letter from virmin media, so I can double check she binned it , but as far as she was concered did not affect us untill our 18 month fixed contract was over. But in saying that i'm sure she was not that interested I pay for the internet even though set up on here name. So a bonus there if needed I will get it next time in my name as I wanted to do at first, same as her IPTV think she thinks that is free

I did check our account online

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hope it works for you, really do, but copied my contract to show you similar statement , ie discount till 21st Sep./22, but as said before, when I spoke to them on the phone they said mine was still going up 1st. March/22 by £3.50.
ps. had to copy and paste it could'nt figure how to show the bill as it was from Virgin.
By the way thats an idea I could do the opposite of your self and cancel and get the wife to join as a new customer, regards toomy

Your package
(26th January-25th February)
£32.00
Bundle Charges
£50.00
• M200 Fibre Broadband
• Loyalty Customer
Promotions & discounts
Credit £18.00
• You'Re Receiving A Â17 Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount, Which Ends on 21-SEP-22
• You'Re Receiving A Â1 Loyalty Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 21-SEP-22

Currently paying £30.74 with various discounts for 350mb bb only in the Mrs name (however they keep charging me £33.74).

They applied a £3.50 price increase March 21, which I was told would not be applied, but it ended up on my bill every month anyway. I had to ring them every month for 9 months to get them to credit me as they kept over charging me.

They finally got it right in December I think it was, and then start of Jan, I got the email saying it's going up £3.25, so rang them up and told them to shove it.

They offered to put credits on my account to cover the difference until the end of the contract, told them not to bother as i'm not messing around ringing them every month to fix the bill and credit me again.

So put in the cancellation and said I will sign up in my name as new customer.

They told me it's not possible unless there are no services at the address for 90 days, I told them that's not true, but f**kit I don't care, cancel it and if I have to go elsewhere then I will.

Anyway signed up about 2 hours later in my own name with no problems.

New contract starts the day the Mrs contract ends.

Untitled.png

Then as an 02 customer I will be able to enable Volt.

Which will double the speed to 1gigbit

Last edited:
Have you had the letter about the £3.50 increase starting 1st. March/22 ? and excuse my ignorance (old fart) whats Volt ?, cheers tommy
Yes added more info to my post.

I had the email to say it was going up £3.25 on 5th Jan.

So as it is now, I will be paying 99p a month less, than I would have been paying (because of the 2 price rises within the current 18 month "fixed price" contract), because they can never get there credits applied correctly, and I will have an extra 650mb speed.

Oh and they gave me £50 credit on the new account too.

Volt is a benefit you can get if you are an 02 customer and VM customer, it double the speed of the broadband package, and doubles the data on the phone contract for no extra monthly cost.

Have you had the letter about the £3.50 increase starting 1st. March/22 ? and excuse my ignorance (old fart) whats Volt ?, cheers tommy
Volt is basically a scheme rolled out by virgin media and O2.

So if your a customer of both so have broadband and sim plan then you are entitled to the volt benefits.

Which is free broadband speed increase for example 100meg to 200meg and double mobile data with o2 for example 15gig to 30gig.

Volt is basically a scheme rolled out by virgin media and O2.

So if your a customer of both so have broadband and sim plan then you are entitled to the volt benefits.

Which is free broadband speed increase for example 100meg to 200meg and double mobile data with o2 for example 15gig to 30gig.
Do you have to get Volt through Virmin or can you get directly from O2 ?

Do you have to get Volt through Virmin or can you get directly from O2 ?
You can get it via either of them.

However if you try and ring vm to get it applied they will try and flog you something you don't need (a more expensive package or phone tariff) whereas if you apply it via 02 then they don't try it on.

Back