Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

You can get it via either of them.

However if you try and ring vm to get it applied they will try and flog you something you don't need (a more expensive package or phone tariff) whereas if you apply it via 02 then they don't try it on.
Just been sussing it out in my account and your right they'll give me the Volt Sim for an extra £30 a month on top of the £32 I'm paying now ! don't think so.

Do you have to get Volt through Virmin or can you get directly from O2 ?
Either one.

Virgin were taking the mick I found so live chat with o2 and they got it sorted within 14 days.

So if you decide to go down the volt route and customer of both I would get it all sorted with o2 personally.

Just been sussing it out in my account and your right they'll give me the Volt Sim for an extra £30 a month on top of the £32 I'm paying now ! don't think so.
Get the sim from u switch for o2 they have numerous plans atm.

So then you can order sim and activate it and then talk to them on phone or live chat and give your virgin details. They will then activate volt benefits for both with 14 days if not sooner. Bare in mind your Virgin and O2 details have to match and be identical for you to get volt benefits.

Volt is basically a scheme rolled out by virgin media and O2.

So if your a customer of both so have broadband and sim plan then you are entitled to the volt benefits.

Which is free broadband speed increase for example 100meg to 200meg and double mobile data with o2 for example 15gig to 30gig.
Sorry ignorant here when you say broadband and sim we got free 5gb sim when we joined virmin as part of our package does that entitle us to free volt upgrade ?

Going to ring Virmin 1st. week in Feb and tell em i'm off and see what happens next with regard to retentions possibly contacting me, will post on here what happens.

Sorry ignorant here when you say broadband and sim we got free 5gb sim when we joined virmin as part of our package does that entitle us to free volt upgrade ?
No, that is with virgin mobile, which is using EE network iirc.

You need an 02 contract (any but it has to be contract and not payg).

The sim they gave for free don't think virgin do that anymore.

You have to have o2 sim plan/tariff to benefit from the volt benefits of VM and O2.

Actually I just double checked and it seems Virgin dropped EE and now use Vodaphone.

Either way you need to have an 02 contract in the same name as the account holder of the VM account (although they keep saying that is changing soon and it won't matter who's name the contracts are in as long as the address matches, but they won't say when "soon" is).

Actually I just double checked and it seems Virgin dropped EE and now use Vodaphone.

Either way you need to have an 02 contract in the same name as the account holder of the VM account (although they keep saying that is changing soon and it won't matter who's name the contracts are in as long as the address matches, but they won't say when "soon" is).
Understandable since VM/merged as one that the whole process has been a mess and really at times a chore to sort out.

Understandable since VM/merged as one that the whole process has been a mess and really at times a chore to sort out.
Yep for such a high profile campain they really should have thought about the issues of names and addresses matching on both systems before they launched it.

It's bad enough being told you can have it, then told you can't as the names on the account don't match.

But seen plenty complaining that because the addresses are not a 100% match on both systems, they still have problems getting it applied.

Not the customers fault, they use different software that puts a . or a slightly different abbreviation of a name in the address box.

Yep for such a high profile campain they really should have thought about the issues of names and addresses matching on both systems before they launched it.

It's bad enough being told you can have it, then told you can't as the names on the account don't match.

But seen plenty complaining that because the addresses are not a 100% match on both systems, they still have problems getting it applied.

Not the customers fault, they use different software that puts a . or a slightly different abbreviation of a name in the address box.
Funny as had some slight differences but I made sure to clarify numerous times its my name on both accounts and contracts and that address is the same.

Still no price hike here. I wouldn’t put it past Virgin not even notifying some people and just hiking it anyway and then say we were told. Is there anyway you can check this online beforehand?

Edit: Sod’s law there it was waiting for me when I left for work lol

Last edited:
well phoning VM this morning to cancel, so far been sat listening to their music for 35 minutes, they really don't want to talk to me do they lol

EDIT: Thought I would try via web chat while sat waiting for them to answer call, web chat bot said current wait time is 4 hours. WTF

Last edited:
Contacted Virgin first person I spoke to offered me 200MB for £18.50. 18 Month Contract. Tried haggling a bit more to no avail. I could have fully cancelled like I normally do and wait for a call back but couldn’t be bothered with the fuss. Don’t think it’s too bad tbf.

Still no price hike here. I wouldn’t put it past Virgin not even notifying some people and just hiking it anyway and then say we were told. Is there anyway you can check this online beforehand?

Edit: Sod’s law there it was waiting for me when I left for work lol
Had that done to me from these crafty scum.

Said to me they sent notfication and disputed it till got to speak to a main manager who got me at same price was paying before.

I gave up yesterday and called them back today, took them 55 minutes to connect me to a person.

Currently I pay £41.50 for 350mbps and phone, the loyalty discount was due to end in May and with the price increase due in March the price would have gone up to £65.75 in May. They have now given me the same deal, well pennies cheaper. £41 for same package for 18 months and won't have the price increase in March.

I normally don't accept the first offer and wait for retentions to call me back but took it this time as I thought I was happy with that discount last time so happy to keep it.

I did ask him if I could cancel the landline and he said the discount won't be as good and it would cost me more.

I gave up yesterday and called them back today, took them 55 minutes to connect me to a person.

Currently I pay £41.50 for 350mbps and phone, the loyalty discount was due to end in May and with the price increase due in March the price would have gone up to £65.75 in May. They have now given me the same deal, well pennies cheaper. £41 for same package for 18 months and won't have the price increase in March.

I normally don't accept the first offer and wait for retentions to call me back but took it this time as I thought I was happy with that discount last time so happy to keep it.

I did ask him if I could cancel the landline and he said the discount won't be as good and it would cost me more.
Something similar for us, We were paying £34 per month for bb, basic tv channels and a phone line, even though we dont have a phone or a line coming into the house, this includes our discount, which is up at the end of February, so they ended up giving us the same deal , near enough, 18 month contract this time instead of 12, same package as we had, only thing is that its now up £2 to £36, but no increase in march either, so we are more than happy with that.

So you didnt put a cancellation notice in.

Still no notification at all from them so will call them next few days and likely will cancel unless they match same price now or do better.

Back