Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

Banging deal for 200mb and as mentioned Volt bolt on would boost to 400mb possible 500mb

Lowest deal ive seen on VM forums was a £1 cheaper than this but still a fantastic price non the less 👌👌👌

Tell the guy on Virgin Forum that I promised anyone who could beat the deal a blow up doll from Amazon worth £20 if he's interested in collecting his winnings.

Kyser come close but I'm a man of my word! Sorry @Kyser143 maybe next year mate!(y)

Are you with VM or Three?
That asks 'how likely are you to refer a friend to 3?'
4g with 3, have now ditched VM completley. l have not used vm since march. l disconected all vm crap as soon as l l set up 4g but now cancelled vm as a few posts back.(y)

My brothers area has just had City Fibre digging up his street.

He had a rep come knocking and they offered him 900mb up and down for £40 a month but the first 6 months of the 18 month contract was free. He took it.

Phoned up Virgin he was in a good position as his contract with them ran out last month and he decide not to barter knowing City Fibre was just about finish in his area.

Anyway Virgin offered him 1gig Broadband and Sky but without sport for £25 and month. He declined asking them if they could match 900mb upload and they couldn't.

I suspect as City Fibre extends to more areas there will be some proper prices wars. Competition at last is a good thing.

Last edited:
Price gone up on latest bill, threatened to leave and called my bluff, hooe retentions call in 30 days
They won't lose a customer, they'll ring you and make an offer, - turn it down.
They'll make you a better offer but don't push them too far otherwise you'll have to sign up as a new customer but you'll get a good deal either way

Just renewed mine probably could have got a bit more off but i was driving down M1 at the time they rang me lol
They knocked some off my bill because i keep complaining about poor wifi aswell 👌👌👌🤣🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-170739_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-170739_Samsung Internet.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220809_170400.jpg
    20220809_170400.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 34
Well my deal was up so I went through the process. I thought I was paying £40 infact I was paying £32 a month for 200meg, phone TV on a crap package but wife's uses it record all her crap so that has to stay.
So,
So mine was due to go up from £32 to £72 yes a £40 rise which ain't gonna happen. A few quid rise I don't mind but that's taking the urine.
I rings up goes through to you are thinking of leaving and after 5 minutes they offer me £52 which I said no to.
I then said put me through to disconnections I'm leaving. She puts me through on hold then it goes dead.
I rings back a bit p*ssed at its a long process and this time I got through to disconnections she said I'll look at what I can do.
She came back and offered it me for £35 for 18 months a £3 a month rise. I was kinda not expecting that but I thought I'm not gonna argue for 3quid a month I'll take it.
I'm not sure why the first couldn't offer me similar. The only difference between the 2 call handlers were first was English the 2nd was a long distance call an asian woman.
I can only think that, when I called back my number was forwarded straight through to the main retentions hence a far better deal was offered.
I'm happy enough at £36 as opposed to £72.

Well my deal was up so I went through the process. I thought I was paying £40 infact I was paying £32 a month for 200meg, phone TV on a crap package but wife's uses it record all her crap so that has to stay.
So,
So mine was due to go up from £32 to £72 yes a £40 rise which ain't gonna happen. A few quid rise I don't mind but that's taking the urine.
I rings up goes through to you are thinking of leaving and after 5 minutes they offer me £52 which I said no to.
I then said put me through to disconnections I'm leaving. She puts me through on hold then it goes dead.
I rings back a bit p*ssed at its a long process and this time I got through to disconnections she said I'll look at what I can do.
She came back and offered it me for £35 for 18 months a £3 a month rise. I was kinda not expecting that but I thought I'm not gonna argue for 3quid a month I'll take it.
I'm not sure why the first couldn't offer me similar. The only difference between the 2 call handlers were first was English the 2nd was a long distance call an asian woman.
I can only think that, when I called back my number was forwarded straight through to the main retentions hence a far better deal was offered.
I'm happy enough at £36 as opposed to £72.
I was the same 18 month contract due to end £29.99 a month for 200MB + sim card I never ever used contract was under my wifes name. I thought to hell with it just cancle and I will get new contract on my name .

but wife did tell them she was going to cancel , but to late they took £55 out of bank but , they then came back new 18 month 200MB contract for £30 and they will refund the other £25 . So to be honest I am quite happy and just shows you can get new other contract without having to put in say my name for example .

Just say you are going to cancel if they don't offer you a good deal. I didn't need to goto retentions. But if they don't offer you a good price just say you will leave. They will either call you or they won't

I've put my cancellation in and did get a call back. Signed up to a new deal but got a bill 3 x times my normal monthly bill. Cancelled it all and got Two weeks left. Currently got some outdoor aerials and a 4g router testing 4g speeds around the house. There are some good black Friday deals on. The £39 deal for 385mb with phone, calls and bigger TV is good.

I'd like to know has any one signed up for another deal under another name during your cancellation period?

I'd like to know has any one signed up for another deal under another name during your cancellation period?
I have put it in my daughters names but i remember they knew what i was doing and i had to wait for my contract to expire 3 weeks think it was and i was without broadband for 9 days.

They told me i could not do they above i simply said im not willing to pay your offer price but my daughter needs the internet and has taken your new customer deal. They played hard ball but it went through.

I did this about 2 years ago...put it in wife's name as Ferret says they found out about it ..so they when get order through must check...but when they rang me told them well its better offer as new customer...so they matched it and stayed as I was on same details.

Thanks, kyser and ferret for your answers. I thought this might happen. It's a shame as the black Friday deals only last until next Monday and I'm not out of contract until the 2nd Dec. I'm not without internet as I have a 4g router and a unlimited smarty sim. I'm currently getting 65m to 80mb with a couple of little aerials on the extension roof. I just don't know how strong it is. The other half is working from home. Out in the garden, I can get a 500mb connection on 5g, but the 3 website says i'm not in a 5g area. I'm not sure if anyone has seen but 3 are doing a month by month 5g router plan at £24.00. I guess they loan you the router. Those 5g routers are fetching mega bucks on ebay if i wanted to buy one.

Last edited:
I had a 3 router, it just didn't work for me, I had cancelled my VM broadband and got the three router so I had both for a few weeks, binned 3 and went back to VM. Odd as at the time both of our phones where on 3 and got good speeds but I struggled on their home broadand router.

Do your research beforehand. Look at sky, bt etc and even what virgin are offering new customers.
If they offer lower packages to new customers don't budge, because they can offer it.
Tell them you aren't willing to pay that amount when you can sign up to (reference a package)
Sales teams also like to leave a long awkward pause. Classic sales technique, don't speak first because that gives them the upper hand.
Also don't be rude be nice but assertive, they have targets to meet their bonuses so they need the sale more.
Last but not least if you are an o2 contract opt got the lower speed contract and activate volt and it will double the speed for the same price

I had a 3 router, it just didn't work for me, I had cancelled my VM broadband and got the three router so I had both for a few weeks, binned 3 and went back to VM. Odd as at the time both of our phones where on 3 and got good speeds but I struggled on their home broadand router.
Yeh, that's why I am testing at the moment, I have my own 4g router with has the option of external aerials. I've borrowed a couple from work and they are held onto a piece of metal plate by the magnetic base and i've just dropped them on my extension roof. This then feeds into a set of 1200ac home plugs that feed the lounge.

Jigger I do this every 18 months, what's weird this time is I gave my notice 2 days before my 30 days required notice to stop the bill going up, I then get a bill for £105.00 that no one can really explain.

Back