Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

Similar here, hate being held to ransom by Virgin so decided to test the Three 4G+ router, no 5G here yet either. Tbh I wasn't expecting much and thought I'd be sending it back however I was pleasantly surprised. Been testing it for 2 weeks now and pretty much getting 170mb download and 20mb upload speeds. Only drawback is the router only has 2 lan ports if you'd rather have a wired connection.
So now I've got a decent alternative it'll be two fingers to virgin when my contract runs out and may consider going back in a couple of years if the price is right, with a bit of luck 5G might be around by then too.

Similar here, hate being held to ransom by Virgin so decided to test the Three 4G+ router, no 5G here yet either. Tbh I wasn't expecting much and thought I'd be sending it back however I was pleasantly surprised. Been testing it for 2 weeks now and pretty much getting 170mb download and 20mb upload speeds. Only drawback is the router only has 2 lan ports if you'd rather have a wired connection.
So now I've got a decent alternative it'll be two fingers to virgin when my contract runs out and may consider going back in a couple of years if the price is right, with a bit of luck 5G might be around by then too.
You can buy a cheap basic switch for about a tenner.

We’ve just signed up to virgin as it just been put on our street where only ones in in our area to sign up.
I went for broadband only at first for £27 for 350mbps Then cancelled it as missus wanted phone.
So signed up in her name and got the volt package up to 500mbs and the iptv box they do for £32 for 18 months including 02 SIM card.
Only thing is our service won’t be up and running till feb-march time as they have to do some work or something

We’ve just signed up to virgin as it just been put on our street where only ones in in our area to sign up.
I went for broadband only at first for £27 for 350mbps Then cancelled it as missus wanted phone.
So signed up in her name and got the volt package up to 500mbs and the iptv box they do for £32 for 18 months including 02 SIM card.
Only thing is our service won’t be up and running till feb-march time as they have to do some work or something

As Your On Volt, Request the Virgin Mesh Pods.
Your Allowed 3, but can only request 1 every 7 days.
Iv found them useful.

£27 for 350mbps isn’t too bad - where did you find that? I remember once paying virgin £27 for the 100mbps service.

Don't forget there's between £140 to £160 in incentives available from Voucher codes dot co dot uk on Virgin Media bundles and £110 for broadband only until 8th January.

These are usually paid as Amazon vouchers but you can ring VM telesales who'll often match them as bill credits instead - avoiding relying upon tracking cookies etc.

If going down the bill credit route, be aware some telesales agents sometimes try to deduct the standard setup fee (normally £35) from your amount. They shouldn't do this in cases where there isn't normally a charge - so check your deal first and stand your ground. The Winter Sale comes with £0 setup fees.

There offering me £30 for renewal for 350 meg broad band,I am trying to push for the £27 new customers get,Anyone getting it cheaper?

Make sure you never take any deals when you call up giving your 30 day notice. Outbound sales will always give you discounts.

Top tip to get your payments down is to call up and cancel even if you've a long contract, just do it then you'll get the outbound team knocking it down, just make something up about it being so bad happy to pay off leave early. You get 30 days before the disconnection so in the unlikely event they don't call up with a begging deal you can call say a few days before and stay with them. Nothing to loose and everything to gain! Don't waver and you'll get discounted.

View attachment 67461

Posted this on here a while back. I've been stuck with Virgin as could only get around 30mbps when I trailed FTTC, To be fair with Virgin it's been ok, still get random T3 timeouts. Noticed last week when checking FTTP is now available via openreach. So here's what I did to get out of my contract. I called cancellations and said I wanted to leave and pay the fee as I'm sick of unreliable Virgin. Ended up being offered a new 18 months contract for £21 for 250mbps, I took that then later that day called and cancelled under my cooling off, that took me 40 mins as he was desperate to keep me lol. In the end due to discounts and credits applied they somehow owe me money when it's all done next month.

So if you want to leave mid contract or towards the end like me just get a new contract and then cancel under cooling off.

Sure they have great speeds but a stable connection is what I need it for , ping not bling. Speed only counts for me for downloading torrents and I can wait.

Virgin retentions called yesterday, they offered me £17 and some sort of WiFi boosters for the 250mbps, told him I wouldn't bother staying for a tenner a month now FTTP is available, he got super irate and ended up hanging up on me, rather than listen to me, not expecting a further call. Similar happened a few years ago on the missus account lol.

There offering me £30 for renewal for 350 meg broad band,I am trying to push for the £27 new customers get,Anyone getting it cheaper?

Push through a cancellation, call to give notice you're leaving. Make sure you've got marketing turned on and I'll guarantee they'll call and offer way lower than anything they'll offer by calling them. Just make up some BS of making cutbacks and hotspotting 5G from your phone or anything really.

It's the outbound retentions that offer great deals if you're happy with Virgin bide your time and wait for the call, they'll keep calling until you answer.

Posted this on here a while back. I've been stuck with Virgin as could only get around 30mbps when I trailed FTTC, To be fair with Virgin it's been ok, still get random T3 timeouts. Noticed last week when checking FTTP is now available via openreach. So here's what I did to get out of my contract. I called cancellations and said I wanted to leave and pay the fee as I'm sick of unreliable Virgin. Ended up being offered a new 18 months contract for £21 for 250mbps, I took that then later that day called and cancelled under my cooling off, that took me 40 mins as he was desperate to keep me lol. In the end due to discounts and credits applied they somehow owe me money when it's all done next month.

So if you want to leave mid contract or towards the end like me just get a new contract and then cancel under cooling off.

Sure they have great speeds but a stable connection is what I need it for , ping not bling. Speed only counts for me for downloading torrents and I can wait.

Virgin retentions called yesterday, they offered me £17 and some sort of WiFi boosters for the 250mbps, told him I wouldn't bother staying for a tenner a month now FTTP is available, he got super irate and ended up hanging up on me, rather than listen to me, not expecting a further call. Similar happened a few years ago on the missus account lol.
How close to the end of your contract were you when you did this? I assume not far away as they may have called your bluff if you still had 12 months remaining and had to pay that. Mine is coming up in April and I’m wondering if it’s worth trying.

How close to the end of your contract were you when you did this? I assume not far away as they may have called your bluff if you still had 12 months remaining and had to pay that. Mine is coming up in April and I’m wondering if it’s worth trying.
I would not try it until you are 30 days from the end of your contract. I put my cancellation in 2 days early to ensure they my prices did not go up. They called me an offered me a deal 24 hours later. I accepted an offer of 46 pounds for much bigger TV etc but when the paperwork came through they wanted a massive £128.00 for changes to contract. My monthly bill was only £38 at the time. I rang them and cancelled the lot. They were still insistent that they were taking the £128.00 and would give me the difference back a month later. I have to fight like hell to stop then taking that amount. I binned them and went 5g home broadband.

we were on 18 month contract for 200mb + free sim card we never even used at £29.99,
and it was due to go up to £50 at end of contract we just waited untill a few day before end of contract a told them we were going to cancle.
So were were offered new 200mb contract for £30.

Just checked 7th of April. I don't have anything other than fibre off Virgin.

How could they call my bluff exactly? I entered into a new 18 month contract then cancelled under my cooling off so 30 days it ends from that moment. Try it yourself, change package , worst case scenario if they put you back to previous contract I guess if you let cancellations twist your arm to stay

It would be easy to follow what I've done with genuine issues, say you've had tech support and engineers and keep losing connection via T3 time outs, they don't check as that's why annoyed me no idea about my previous issues. Say the rep said higher speeds would fix it but it didn't... Lol.

The best thing is they called back quickly offering £17 for 200mbps with free WiFi boosters. I reckon I could of got it for £15 without boosters, especially if I played on things with inflation increases coming up.

Like I'd do this even If I wanted to stay with Virgin now as it's dead simple if you can cope with cancellations desperate attempts at keeping you. I suppose it's who answers, last time I cancelled it was easier.

I would not try it until you are 30 days from the end of your contract. I put my cancellation in 2 days early to ensure they my prices did not go up. They called me an offered me a deal 24 hours later. I accepted an offer of 46 pounds for much bigger TV etc but when the paperwork came through they wanted a massive £128.00 for changes to contract. My monthly bill was only £38 at the time. I rang them and cancelled the lot. They were still insistent that they were taking the £128.00 and would give me the difference back a month later. I have to fight like hell to stop then taking that amount. I binned them and went 5g home broadband.

I didn't cancel before them 30 days that's the important thing, would of had a fee too and would of been cheaper to stay and ride it out.

Taking a new 18 month contract and then canceling for whatever reason and giving 30 days notice works though.

If anyone is happy with Virgin, cancel last 30 days as outbound retentions beat anything the cancellation teams will give you when you call to cancel.

I wouldn't of stayed with them for a tenner a month now openreach fftp is available here, glad to finally get shut of them.

If I found myself back (unlikely) I'd take a new deal. Cancel straight away to get it even cheaper from outbound retentions as it's easy to with Virgin. Just important it's the outbound calling team

Back