Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

Do your research beforehand. Look at sky, bt etc and even what virgin are offering new customers.
If they offer lower packages to new customers don't budge, because they can offer it.
Tell them you aren't willing to pay that amount when you can sign up to (reference a package)
Sales teams also like to leave a long awkward pause. Classic sales technique, don't speak first because that gives them the upper hand.
Also don't be rude be nice but assertive, they have targets to meet their bonuses so they need the sale more.
Last but not least if you are an o2 contract opt got the lower speed contract and activate volt and it will double the speed for the same price
just spoke to them lowerd my bill from £41 which was due to go up again after discount to £48 and they have lowered my bill to £26 thanks for the tips

buYeh, that's why I am testing at the moment, I have my own 4g router with has the option of external aerials. I've borrowed a couple from work and they are held onto a piece of metal plate by the magnetic base and i've just dropped them on my extension roof. This then feeds into a set of 1200ac home plugs that feed the lounge.
I went out and bought an antenna for the 3 router, even fixed to side of house which helped but very slightly, I even played with the APN settings, changed it and got better speed but for some reason couldn't access some secure sites, ie bank etc, changed them back and could access the sites but speed dropped drastically. I wasted so many hours playing with it.

Jigger I do this every 18 months, what's weird this time is I gave my notice 2 days before my 30 days required notice to stop the bill going up, I then get a bill for £105.00 that no one can really explain.
Sounds like they've tried to double bill you or give you a leaving penalty while in contract.
Always wait until your second last bill is paid. Then you have one bill left ring them and tell them that you want when your contract is up you will not renew. If you say to them I'm giving 30 days notice they will make it seem like you're in breach of contract and Try to incur charges.
When your contract is up they put you on a rolling month to month essentially. So state you don't want this and when the contract is up you don't want it renewed.
This is when they pass your details to retention team who call you in a couple of days

Sounds like they've tried to double bill you or give you a leaving penalty while in contract.
Always wait until your second last bill is paid. Then you have one bill left ring them and tell them that you want when your contract is up you will not renew. If you say to them I'm giving 30 days notice they will make it seem like you're in breach of contract and Try to incur charges.
When your contract is up they put you on a rolling month to month essentially. So state you don't want this and when the contract is up you don't want it renewed.
This is when they pass your details to retention team who call you in a couple of days
My contract end date was 4th of december (called them 2nd november to stop the bill going up) the new bill is for 4th december until the 30th december @ £85.00 (ish) plus £24.00 for a change of package. Even though I've put my cancellation in they are charging me for a period i won't have the service. This is payable 24th november and then they recon i will get a credit of some £47.00 at the end of december. I find it unacceptable and have tried to talk to them a couple of times. This happened after i accepted a new contract which i have now cancelled. The new contact was for £46.00 per month instead of £38.00.

My contract end date was 4th of december (called them 2nd november to stop the bill going up) the new bill is for 4th december until the 30th december @ £85.00 (ish) plus £24.00 for a change of package. Even though I've put my cancellation in they are charging me for a period i won't have the service. This is payable 24th november and then they recon i will get a credit of some £47.00 at the end of december. I find it unacceptable and have tried to talk to them a couple of times. This happened after i accepted a new contract which i have now cancelled. The new contact was for £46.00 per month instead of £38.00.
Tbh, if I were you, i'd probably cancel the direct debit, so they can't take any payment, then when they contact you to say they couldn't take payment, sort it out there and then, so you pay the correct amount without waiting for a refund you probably won't get.

You're in contract, unless you pay off your remaining contract I doubt they would give you a better deal

Has anyone ever renewed their broadband mid way through contract with virgin to get a better deal?
I managed to do it a couple of years back, but ended up being more agro than it was worth.

They put it through as an upgrade and I started a new 18 month contract, but even though I was told it would be exempt from any price increases for the 18 months, it wasn't, as on their system it was still down as an old contract.

In the end I had to ring up every month, argue with some new idiot and then get a credit applied, which was never applied correctly and i'd then get a credit and a charge on the following months bill meaning I was over charged every month for 11 months, until they finally did sort it out, and then they sent me an email to say my bill would be going up again (so 2 price rises within the same 18 month contract that I was told would be exempt from any price rise).

Long story short, don't bother, just wait until end of the contract and then either negotiate or cancel (threaten to cancel) to get a better deal.

Fair enough. I wish community fibre were in my area. Their speeds and prices are better than virgin.
only for London , with our virgin media contract we just waited untill 18 month contract was up we did have 200mb + free sim but never used the sim card that was £29.99 .
but after 18 months it was going to go up to £50. but as contract was up we just signed up again for new 18 month contract it was £30 for 200mb no free sim card but still not £50 that they would have been wanting if we stayrd in old contract and also no need to change name on acount, sice then we have had free 50mb upgrade also but I think that applied to most users.

only for London , with our virgin media contract we just waited untill 18 month contract was up we did have 200mb + free sim but never used the sim card that was £29.99 .
but after 18 months it was going to go up to £50. but as contract was up we just signed up again for new 18 month contract it was £30 for 200mb no free sim card but still not £50 that they would have been wanting if we stayrd in old contract and also no need to change name on acount, sice then we have had free 50mb upgrade also but I think that applied to most users.
I mean you could always use an o2 sim card to upgrade to the next fastest package for free, but I didn't want to rely on their network. What a shame.

Well my contract is due to end today but it is still on as of going to work. For now we have gone with 3 5g home broadband on a month by month basis. £24.00 and we are getting over 400mb at the router and 300mb in the kitchen. Over my homeplug network we get 160-190mb going to the tv etc.

Well my contract is due to end today but it is still on as of going to work. For now we have gone with 3 5g home broadband on a month by month basis. £24.00 and we are getting over 400mb at the router and 300mb in the kitchen. Over my homeplug network we get 160-190mb going to the tv etc.
Whats the upload speeds bud ?

Is that the deal where you rent the 5G router it goes back if you decided its not for you.

Let us know how you get on mate. I'd be interested in if unlimited means unlimited download wise.

Whats the upload speeds bud ?

Is that the deal where you rent the 5G router it goes back if you decided its not for you.

Let us know how you get on mate. I'd be interested in if unlimited means unlimited download wise.
100mb upload a the moment. I have the router sat in the window at the rear of the house in one of the bedrooms. The best thing is that it says I'm not in a 5g area but as we have had 5g phones we know we are. I went into the store in wakefield and the guy told me that they would let people who are not in a 5g area take the routers. He said two of their staff are shown not to be in an area but are happily using the router. The only issue was in store he told me they are not doing the 1 month contracts. I walked out and went to meadow hall on saturday night and pulled up the 1 month contract on my phone and the guy in the store said yes we do them. 10 mins later I had it all wrapped up. Nothing to pay either they just bill you in arrears.

Last edited:
100mb upload a the moment. I have the router sat in the window at the rear of the house in one of the bedrooms. The best thing is that it says I'm not in a 5g area but as we have had 5g phones we know we are. I went into the store in wakefield and the guy told me that they would let people who are not in a 5g area take the routers. He said two of their staff are shown not to be in an area but are happily using the router. The only issue was in store he told me they are not doing the 1 month contracts. I walked out and went to meadow hall on saturday night and pulled up the 1 month contract on my phone and the guy in the store said yes we do them. 10 mins later I had it all wrapped up. Nothing to pay either they just will you in arrears.
Ive i 5g mast 300 yards away, yes i may die early but at least i can give the middle finger to Virgin :LOL: had me over a barrel as BT speeds in my area dont hit 10mb and they know it.

Ive i 5g mast 300 yards away, yes i may die early but at least i can give the middle finger to Virgin :LOL: had me over a barrel as BT speeds in my area dont hit 10mb and they know it.
I took a speed test earlier 469 down and 98 up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-02-18-04-04-591_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-02-18-04-04-591_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20221202_180248.jpg
    IMG_20221202_180248.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
Back