Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

Do you have City fibre available where your mum lives?
CityFibre | The Full Fibre Broadband Network

Unfortunately not. I've followed this company with interest as I've seen them around my town installing cables. They are almost done where I live and are in the testing process. The only reason I have stayed with Virgin as long as I have is because of their unrivalled internet speeds but once City Fibre are up and running, there'll be real competition.

Virginwill offer you a deal mid contract that doesn't exist at the end of the contract. For example they give you 250 channels TV for a pound a month. When it rolls over at the end of the contract it costs more to get rid of the TV than keep it. Price still goes up.

You could cancel without EDF when there was a price rise untill new T&C were implemented as you know. But now you have to pay to exit contract early.
but that depends when @ste 's mum took the contract, if it was before the terms and conditions changed then she can claim that it doesn't apply as she didn't agree to it at the start of the contract.

but that depends when @ste 's mum took the contract, if it was before the terms and conditions changed then she can claim that it doesn't apply as she didn't agree to it at the start of the contract.
No it doesn't, it's too late
Please make sure you read this whole email carefully. If you’re unhappy with any of the changes announced, you can cancel your package any time before 31/10/2023, without paying any cancellation fees.
These changes to your terms and conditions will come into effect from 1st November 2023, even though the first price rise they relate to won’t be until April 2024.
As this annual price increase is provided for in your terms, there’s no right to cancel because of it from April 2024

Last edited:
Just an update , for anyone who gets a monthly rolling credit, it appears what ever the system does when they applied the new price rise, it has stopped the credit being applied. So check you new bills when they get generated.

Just an update , for anyone who gets a monthly rolling credit, it appears what ever the system does when they applied the new price rise, it has stopped the credit being applied. So check you new bills when they get generated.
The new price rise doesn't come in yet, not until next month. My virgin tells me my price is going up to £44.60 from £41 on 18th April. That would still include my discount/credit. You shouldn't have a bill at the new prices yet.

I believe the increase is from the first of April.

Last week I reported that there was an offer to renew of £32 on my account. That offer is no longer there !! (£40.00 now :disappointed: )

Yes am talking about my next bill , they get generated 3 weeks approx before the actual DD gets taken , this bill no longer has the credit applied. Just a heads up for everyone to check their bill is correct.

Btw you pay in advance for your services my March Bill (today)18th gets paid on the 8th April covers dates between 5th April to 4th May.

Last edited:
Yes am talking about my next bill , they get generated 3 weeks approx before the actual DD gets taken , this bill no longer has the credit applied. Just a heads up for everyone to check their bill is correct.

Btw you pay in advance for your services my March Bill (today)18th gets paid on the 8th April covers dates between 5th April to 4th May.
wow you get billed early, my bill on 19th February, which had to be paid by 11th March was for the period 18th Feb until 17th March, so my bill due in next day or so will be for period from today until 18th April. I don't pay by DD though.

1710767413066.png

Strange, I just got my latest bill dated 19th March, for the period 18th March to 17th April and not due to be paid until 8th April and it doesn't include any price rises and my credit is still applied. It's the same amount as last month and the month before. wow I'm glad I don't pay by DD LOL

The new price rise doesn't come in yet, not until next month. My virgin tells me my price is going up to £44.60 from £41 on 18th April. That would still include my discount/credit. You shouldn't have a bill at the new prices yet.
Strange, I just got my latest bill dated 19th March, for the period 18th March to 17th April and not due to be paid until 8th April and it doesn't include any price rises and my credit is still applied. It's the same amount as last month and the month before. wow I'm glad I don't pay by DD LOL
That's why

Messed up with ours again, they ended the promo rolling credit and wanted £36.99 125mb, CS agent on the community site sorted it out and got it reduced back to £21.76 , with the correct 8.8% PR. Told to ignore Online £36.99 bill.
DD taken will be £21.76.
Wait and see on the 8th.

I had let my contract run out a while ago and I was paying
£48.90
M125 Broadband

April it was going up over £50 a month

On Saturday I managed to get it down to £21 a month.
That's much better but you can get it easily under £15 for that for sure!

Even if you push outbound retentions too far and they don't call back just get it going again but then cancel under the cooling off period immediately and start the process all over again.

I managed to get decent deals with virgin doing this untill FTTP was available here. I was still in contract with Virgin but left fee free just by upgrading my fibre to a higher package then immediately cancelling under my cooling off period. The hassle of dealing with Virgin wether it's tech support or cancelling is pathetic!

Good way to start is you've made cutbacks so you use 5G mobile tethering for your internet, then you get T3 timeouts constantly despite having engineers out. Maybe mention how the virgin cabinets are all crap and open at the bottom loaded with dog pee.

Depends if you can be bothered but it's a smooth enough process once you've got past the clowns that try and stop you from cancelling your contract with mediocre offers. Outbound retentions carry the golden tickets lol

Even if you push outbound retentions too far and they don't call back just get it going again but then cancel under the cooling off period immediately and start the process all over again.

I managed to get decent deals with virgin doing this untill FTTP was available here. I was still in contract with Virgin but left fee free just by upgrading my fibre to a higher package then immediately cancelling under my cooling off period. The hassle of dealing with Virgin wether it's tech support or cancelling is pathetic!

Good way to start is you've made cutbacks so you use 5G mobile tethering for your internet, then you get T3 timeouts constantly despite having engineers out. Maybe mention how the virgin cabinets are all crap and open at the bottom loaded with dog pee.

Depends if you can be bothered but it's a smooth enough process once you've got past the clowns that try and stop you from cancelling your contract with mediocre offers. Outbound retentions carry the golden tickets lol
I would be surprised if you could get anything for £15 as their cheapest online price for new customers is £24 for 132Mbps (broadband only)

I have just renewed mine : £33 for 250Mbps and anytime calls ; includes the upcoming price increase ; was paying 31 ;

I would be surprised if you could get anything for £15 as their cheapest online price for new customers is £24 for 132Mbps (broadband only)

I have just renewed mine : £33 for 250Mbps and anytime calls ; includes the upcoming price increase ; was paying 31 ;
we are on 350mbs broadband only it was 250mbs but we just waited untill contract was due to expire and just signed up again for 18 months £31 our original price was £29 so no big deal will see what happens.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 12

Are you saying if you increase your Virgin 125mbs (with a year still to pay) to a higher package such as Virgin 250mbs you can then cancel within the cooling off period.

So if you cancel does that mean the eighteen month account is cancelled as well?

I while back but post 277 I got it for £14. Broadband - Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

If you renew calling them up you'll be totally limited to how low they go, hardly anything knocked off in my experience. It was always by fully cancelling and waiting for the outbound retentions to call back, that's when you can make some real savings. They massively undercut any online deals for new customers.

Are you saying if you increase your Virgin 125mbs (with a year still to pay) to a higher package such as Virgin 250mbs you can then cancel within the cooling off period.

So if you cancel does that mean the eighteen month account is cancelled as well?
Yes mate. I actually cancelled mine on the same day I upgraded to the package up, just push through with a full cancellation, they don't half grovel but I said it hasn't improved my internet issues despite thinking it would so I'd like to fully cancel.

That completely ended the contract, no early termination or fees as it was a new contract. No mention of returning to my old package I was on at all. I was on a fibre only deal

Back