Sky Sports have dismissed Matt Le Tissier, Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson from their Soccer Saturday show

Don't think any thing should be carried out simply because of race and gender.

Having someone who is female or black for the sake of it ain't the way to go as for me should be someone who is good at the job or whatever no matter colour, gender etc

For private companies I have no problem with any form of discrimination or hiring preferences.

If sky appoint less capable people due to prioritising identify characteristics over ability then the viewers will expose that. Saturday afternoon watch along shows are very popular, there's even competition from YouTubers.

If they get it wrong they will very quickly find out.

I have no problem with what they are doing though.

Don't think any thing should be carried out simply because of race and gender.

Having someone who is female or black for the sake of it ain't the way to go as for me should be someone who is good at the job or whatever no matter colour, gender etc

But the ability of the person to do job in question here is subjective. You think they're great fun, I think they're crap pundits. They're only as good at their jobs as the viewing figures they pull and the other ways Sky will canvas opinion.

Time will tell.

Will be very interesting to see how it plays out if they do go for an overtly diverse grouping.

Gillette recently made an 8billion dollar misreading of their customers when they pushed a woke narrative in their adverts an alienated a huge % of their customers who simply took their custom to companies with simpler 'best for men' messaging.

Often what plays well with the college grads taking over positions of influence plays appallingly with the customers they are meant to serve

Time will tell.

Will be very interesting to see how it plays out if they do go for an overtly diverse grouping.

Gillette recently made an 8billion dollar misreading of their customers when they pushed a woke narrative in their adverts an alienated a huge % of their customers who simply took their custom to companies with simpler 'best for men' messaging.

Often what plays well with the college grads taking over positions of influence plays appallingly with the customers they are meant to serve
Depends whether you believe Gilette who say the 8 billion devaluation had very little to do with that ad campaign. The post had to issue a quick apology for the original article to avoid the inevitable law suit. Gillette CEO: Losing customers over #MeToo campaign is 'price worth paying'

But the ability of the person to do job in question here is subjective. You think they're great fun, I think they're crap pundits. They're only as good at their jobs as the viewing figures they pull and the other ways Sky will canvas opinion.
Ratings arnt going to drop as its football scores from all leagues for those that can't won't/banned from going to matches its their Saturday afternoon fix

But it's not the only game in town.

Btsport have a fairly laddish offering, the BBC probably have a bland offering and I can see YouTubers like true Geordie making inroads if sky bollix up their flagship show.

I should imagine BT have already contacted the trio mentioned.
It looks like Sky have dropped the ball here.
If I was paying their extortionate rates I would be livid about having to put up with these risiculous populist shenanigans.
As it happens I have heard about ways of getting the channels by other means so I'm not going to complain to their head office just yet.
But when BT get full control of prem league it may be time to spew the sky sports channels altogether apart from rugby/darts/horses

TBF I doubt broadcasters will be queueing up for any of them

Sutton and savage already have the blokey opinionated, arrogant etc etc schtick locked down on bt and it wouldn't surprise me if Trevor brooking wasn't still the most controversial pundit on the BBCs offering

Maybe an upstart might enter the market and snap them up, but the world has rather passed those dudes by now.

YouTubers will probably be positioning themselves nicely now, and it'll be very hard for sky to hit the mark imo in a format that relies upon established chemsitry and characters to engage.

Very difficult to get right

Not into YouTube myself.
I can't imagine there's much interest when football fans have to chop/change between platforms during a game although I have been wrong in the past.
People watch pre-match banter on YT then put sky TV on to watch the game then go back online at HT/FT to listen to the guff being spouted?
Are you sure about this?
Are we talking a few hundred people?
Savage is a total disaster. The sooner he goes the better, he makes me cringe every time I see him and he is the only person on any TV channel to achieve this

Someone like true Geordie can get 300-600k views for a live stream of him and his mate watching a live game. Probably about 40 - 100k concurrent viewers at a time. Huge platforms forming on you tube

No stretch to see him start a soccer Saturday stream where they watch the results come in, and again you aren't his target audience.

The people who tune in to his show are the most valuable for advertisers : young men with disposable income and who are brand aware.

Same for savage et Al, doesnt matter if he grates on people who like Phil thompsom as their advertiser's are paying a premium for the age group who enjoy people like savage

Hell, even twitter is a rival for sky. As a lot of people will follow very opinionated and funny football accounts on there and simple watch result come in / reports of fans on there rather than be tied to a TV.

Clinton Morrison and Matt Murray already work on the show now and again, so maybe they will feature in a more prominant role, Sue Smith aswell, rather than Alex Scott, I think will be there, as Alex is currently working for the BBC, I agree that Micah Richards may come in as he is very popular, that laugh is infectious, he is a very likeable fella that knows his football, this is not the first time the show has changed its line up, I remember it when it was George Best, Rodney Marsh and Frank McLintock, McLintock was supposed to have went because of his bias towards Arsenal, Marsh was given the boot after he made an ill judged comment, just a short time after the tsunami disaster in the far east in 2004 when they went to him for a report on his game, which was a one sided affair, he said, Its attack after attack here, its like a tsunami, it was a comment that he had made before on the show, way before the disaster had happened, George left the show to battle his demons, as he had started drinking again after staying off the booze for a few years.

Not quite as straightforward as you remember it Graham...

TV pundit sacked for tsunami joke

Football pundit Rodney Marsh has been fired by Sky Sports for making a joke on air about the tsunami disaster.

The ex-Manchester City striker, 60, joked David Beckham had turned down a move to Newcastle United because of trouble with the "Toon Army in Asia".

A Sky Sports spokesman said: "These remarks should never have been made and Sky would like to offer its apologies to those who were offended."

Marsh said: "I am hugely disappointed in myself for letting them down."

"Toon Army" is a term used by Newcastle's fans to describe themselves.

Well I stand corrected, thats far worse, no wonder he got sacked, but I am pretty sure someone did make the tsunami comment somewhere, either on tv or radio shortly after the event, I will have to look it up, memories not what it was, thats what the early stages of Alzeimers does to you.

Back