Starview 6 - 7 firmware guide tutorial.

hi, i have just got the starview 7 LAN box. could i get some help please. Not sure how to set it up. I have uploaded the carling file to the box, but not sure of the physical setup. I have Virgin media BB. the fibre cable from the street comes into my home and connect to a black modem the virgin provided, then there is an etherent cable that connect from the black modem to a Netgear router and then i have ethernt cables going to my PC's.

The Starview box. DO i connect the etherent cable from the starview to the netgear router?
or to the black virgin modem?
where do i connect the virgin cable to, to the starview box or leave it in the black modem. If i connect it to the starview then i wont have eny internet, can someone help please.

1st of all do you have vm cable box and modem or just modem - if just modem you will need to split the modem feed so you can put a feed onto starview box (as modem and vm cable box use same feed) and other then will be in modem - ethernet from modem to input on router then out of 1 of the 4 ports on router come out and into starview box (serial/ethernet adapter) also see my other post - make sure you have ustream enabled in network (england etc or istream if your in ireland)

Starview Setup

1st of all do you have vm cable box and modem or just modem - if just modem you will need to split the modem feed so you can put a feed onto starview box (as modem and vm cable box use same feed) and other then will be in modem - ethernet from modem to input on router then out of 1 of the 4 ports on router come out and into starview box (serial/ethernet adapter) also see my other post - make sure you have ustream enabled in network (england etc or istream if your in ireland)

I have the VM cable box and modem, the cable box is downstairs and the modem is upstairs, the cable feed downstairs goes into the VM cable box and the cable feed upstairs goes into the modem, the modem then connects to the netgear router, and my PC's connect via etherent to the Netgear.
if i want to have the starview box downstairs, whats will i need to do?. Do i just take the VM modem and Netgear router downstairs, do i need 2 cable feeds one to connect to the VM modem and the other to connect to the Starview?

you can buy some homeplugs which transfer ethernet signal through your electrical system - look them up not cheap though

hey guys, I'm a newb. I just followed the tutorial, but when I select the carling software, it says unknown upgrade file and won't let me do anything else. Any ideas?

I know what a splitter is. You know where your internet comes out of your wall? A splitter has one cable going in and two coming out. One cable goes to your modem, the other to your starview7. I don't know how you can't use a splitter when scanning, as I need to have my modem connected to receive anything. I scanned mine with the splitter, as I have no choice. Do you know why I can't update my box?

Last edited:
I have got the starview 7 working but I can't get ESPN Sky premiere and Sky Modern all other channels are working anyone else having the same problem

I have some channels not working, but most of them are, but my box is glitching. Have you tried scanning without a splitter?

have you tried downloading 103 apart from that i just dont know i am new to all this in fact it seems like a foreign language

Added after 6 minutes:

I have lost espn and I cannot get all the ones you are supposed to pay for, before I had this I had a D Box and I could get everything should I be able to get everything with this if so what am I doing wrong

Last edited:
I used to have a dbox too. I did download 1.03 ups, but for some reason it won't update when I go to usb and highlight 1.03 ups and press ok. It's a bit confusing. I can't get espn either. And sky sports2 is missing aswell. I don't know why

Right, obviously here nobody answers your question. I've gone somewhere else where my question was answered instantly. So thanks for nothing and goodbye

Hi Alchemst,
I am trying to bring my StarView 6 back from the paperweight it has become, I was using the GrooveRider_SV6_1.00.
Can you please assist me & confirm that this CARLING-1.03 update fixed your similar issue?

Many Thanks
Jim B

Hi Alchemst,
I am trying to bring my StarView 6 back from the paperweight it has become, I was using the GrooveRider_SV6_1.00.
Can you please assist me & confirm that this CARLING-1.03 update fixed your similar issue?

Many Thanks
Jim B

Yes just install 1.03 ups file as normal. then do a factory reset , then reload channels. 8989 switches on emulator.then network needs setting to ustream.
Sorry for jumping in on this post missed the, hi alchemist, at the top.

Last edited:
sorry i know this is a dumb question but i got a starview 7 box with carling 1.01 and its working fine so far, is there any point upgrading the fireware to carling 1.03

Back