Swapping receivers.

lalineaman

TK Supporter
Hi all, I would like to ask a simple question:

I have a motorised systen, with a VU+ Zero 4k, and it works quite well. When I replace the receiver with a Zgemma h9.2S, which has exactly the same settings, should it not pick up a signal and work in the same way?

It wont have exactly the same setttings as 2 different boxes ie manfacturers. You need to say what image, size of dish, make of motor, have you installed a channel list for a motor, have you a twin tuner and have you configured the tuners correctly?? Answer these and then we can help. The zgemma may not be able to drive motor.

Hi, and thank you for your replies...

Apologies for not giving more information. The Imagine is OpenAtv 6.4. the make of motor is a Stab ( I think), the dish is 80cm and it has Wooshbuild Infinity. What I mean by 'the same settings' is that the turners and both USALS, longitude and latitude are the same, etc.

I used to use the Zgemma with exactly the same set up - and it did drive the motor - and then changed to the VU+. I have now reverted to the Zgemma, as it has twin tuners and want to watch one channel and record another. I merely replace one receiver with the other and... nothing.

I do know that the Zgemma works, becasue I tested at a friend's house, with a monobloc and Disecq setup.

You have 2 cables from dish, make sure the tuner that drives motor ie one with usals is connected to motor. ie swo9 them over. How have you set tuners, which one is for motor? I usually use B. I am using openvix at moment. What channel listing have you in zgemma?

I only have the one cable at the moment as I want to make sure that it works first, and connect it to tuner A. I use the satellite for European channels, mainly for Astra 19.2 and Hotbird 13. I do, occasionally, venture over to 23.5E and Hispasat 30W.

As I have said, I used the Zgamma with the same motor for about a year without problem. My brother gave me his Vu+ Zero to try. I did, and I have used it for another year.

I only have the one cable at the moment as I want to make sure that it works first, and connect it to tuner A. I use the satellite for European channels, mainly for Astra 19.2 and Hotbird 13. I do, occasionally, venture over to 23.5E and Hispasat 30W.

As I have said, I used the Zgamma with the same motor for about a year without problem. My brother gave me his Vu+ Zero to try. I did, and I have used it for another year.
Well with just a single input to one tuner your only going to be able to watch or record on channel unless the second channel is on the same TP.

You need another feed/cable to the second tuner to achieve what you want watch and record at the same time.

Hi @Fez1, and thank you for your response...

The point that I am trying to make is that I have no signal at all on the Zgemma yet, by connecting the Vu+, there is a 99% signal strength in the same position.

Have you got both tuners set up to usuals ? or just the one tuner. You may have the LNB coax in the wrong tuner port .

nothing to do with motorised dishes etc but what I can say I put sat tuners in my VU+ Uno 4k this week and switched to using that instead of my zgemma h2s, my signal strength shown on the VU+ is a good 15 points higher than it was on the zgemma, not sure if this is related to your issue

In signal finder can you post what levels you get and then reverse the cables and check again.
NOTE power off box before messing with live cables.

Hi all, and I really appreciate your responses, so thank you!

I have tried an experiment in that I have a very simple satellite signal meter - the one with the needle indicator - and I have attached it between the cable from the dish and the receiver, almost at the point in which it connects to the receiver, and I have a full signal when connected with the Vu+, but it is dead with the Zgemma. I am loathed to mess about with the positioner settings because I know that they are correct, otherwise the Vu+ would not work, and I don't want to lose them!

Hi @cactikid,

Yes, the Zgemma H9.2S does have two tuners. They work, as I have tested by taking the receiver to the house of a family friend who has a very old dish with a monobloc for Astra 19.2 and Hotbird,, and it picked over 1000 channels on each of the satellites.

I do appreceiate how baffling this must be to everyone; I am no expert, but I am certainly not new to satellite setups, and I can't fathom out what the problem is.

Did you try each feed separately to see if it gave you a picture on tuner a + b. Is that what you meant?

Stick up a photo of what tuner A is set to and what B is set to

What reception equipment (dish/lnb/motor etc) is on the signal wire hooked up to Tuner A?
What have you configured tuner A as?
What reception equipment (dish/lnb/motor etc) is on the signal wire hooked up to Tuner B?
What have you configured tuner B as?

Four separate questions asked. If you give four separate answers, that will be better.

Also, I presume you previously had two cables to the dish assembly. One used to go to the motor, the other used to go straight to the LNB.
Is this assumption correct ? If so, are the two signal wires labelled/identifiable?

Hi @cactikid,

Yes, the Zgemma H9.2S does have two tuners. They work, as I have tested by taking the receiver to the house of a family friend who has a very old dish with a monobloc for Astra 19.2 and Hotbird,, and it picked over 1000 channels on each of the satellites.

I do appreceiate how baffling this must be to everyone; I am no expert, but I am certainly not new to satellite setups, and I can't fathom out what the problem is.
Can you upload a picture from your Tuner setup mate ?

Do you have just a standard Universal LNB on the dish ?

all issues come down to fault finding.

we know the zgemma works at another location.

set up the zgemma as a single tuner, tuner a using the correct usals settings, double check its set to west, not east and the values are the same as on the other box.

leave tuner b as unconfigured.

make sure the cable from the dish is seated correctly.

drive the dish to 0 then manually scan in 28.2e. listen for the dish moving on both occasions.

Apologies to all for the late reply, but work gets in the way of leisure...

Thank you all for your responses and help. @lamblamb, I think that you are right, and that starting afresh is the answer.

I am beginning to become desillusioned with Zgemma, though, as the VU+ seems to have a much stronger tuner, in any case.

I am wondering whether it would be far better to invest in a receiver such as the Gigablue UHD UE 4K UHD 2xDVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators). I know that it is far more expensive but, will it offer me the option of watching one channel and recording another - on the same satellite, of course?

When you had the previous box connected you had a signal on both tuners on same sat ?

When you put h9s into the equation is it on the same sat that previous box was on ?

I had that happen so thought i would ask.

Is power supply good for motor to turn this box?

Back