System Low on Virtual Memory

dee

TK Veteran
this keeps popping up, word for word any ideas please or suggestions.

Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing your virtual memory file.

thanks TK.(y)

yes dee i had it. the lads will help you out more but its summit to do with your pc trying to run to many things at once and it has to borrow memory from elsewhere. you can change it but as you know im no expert and cant remember off hand exactly how to go about it.

gman has a guide on how to do this here somewhere already dee, time for a memory upgrade :)

cheers checking it out now gents. should of known G would of posted on it, having a blond moment.(y)

cheers linny, its startin to do my nut in.

This might help a bit more dee?

Virtual memory, also known as a page file or swap file, is a file on your hard drive (C:\pagefile.sys by default) that Windows and applications use in addition to physical memory (RAM) as needed.

The default and recommended size of this file is 1.5 times the amount of physical memory. Virtual memory is the sum of physical memory and the page file. So if your computer has 512 MB RAM, it will have a 768 MB page file by default, for a total of 1.25 GB of physical + virtual memory.

Start

Right click "My Computer"

Choose "Properties"

Click the "Advanced" TAB

In the “Performance” section click on the Settings button

virtualmem1.jpg

virtualmem2.jpg

Click on "Advanced" TAB

Click the CHANGE button

virtualmem3.jpg

Now you can change the settings manually.

virtualmem4.jpg

You can increase the amount of virtual memory as per the 1.5 times your actual memory, then click the SET button and it should stop the error message (y)

-

its slightly different on mine can`t seem to see virtual memory on the windows task manager.

its slightly different on mine can`t seem to see virtual memory on the windows task manager.

Look under the "Processes" TAB of the Task Manager.

If you don't see anything strange go back to this post & increase your Virtual Memory manually.

-

Last edited:
Dee - Try this,
go to control panel/system/advanced/ here you will see performance settings, click here and it gives you options for best performance,best appearance etc.
Hope this helps

wot i get on the task manager is this.
applications/processe/performance/networking/users

below that when i hit processe i get
image name/user name/cpu/ mem usage.

wot i get on the task manager is this.
applications/processe/performance/networking/users

below that when i hit processe i get
image name/user name/cpu/ mem usage.

That's correct, is there anything excessively high in the Mem Usage?

If not? go back to my previous post and adjust your Virtual Memory manually.

-

Back