Zgemma replacement

tommiekly

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my zgemma h7s. I need a box with that can receive 1 saorview cable and possibly 2 satellite cables, but one would probably do. It will need to also run openatv. All recommendations appreciated

Tjanks

Hi I actually have of of those boxes. I have I 3 years. Is starting to act up a bit so I'm looking to replace it with something a bit better

Is soarview dvbt or T2

There are VU+ boxes and Gigablue boxes with spare tuner slots, both have dvbt/2 tuner options but the snag is those tuners seem to be out of stock in most places.

So id go with a Gigablue UE and fill the tuner slot with a DVBt2 tuner if you can find one.

If Soarview is just DVBT as i suspect go with a Gigablue UE and a usb playstation dvbt tuner.

Is soarview dvbt or T2

There are VU+ boxes and Gigablue boxes with spare tuner slots, both have dvbt/2 tuner options but the snag is those tuners seem to be out of stock in most places.

So id go with a Gigablue UE and fill the tuner slot with a DVBt2 tuner if you can find one.

If Soarview is just DVBT as i suspect go with a Gigablue UE and a usb playstation dvbt tuner.
USB tuners do not work on the Gigablue 4K receivers. They stopped working when they changed the driver software.
They apparently still work in Germany.

He might be better off just using a USB tuner on his Zgemma. The playstation one you mentioned is cheap and is two tuners, so perfect for Saorview.

Thanks ferret, yes it's for Saorview. I was looking at the gigablue ue. Not too sure on the ps tuner to be honest. Is there one with 1 satellite tuner and 1 dvb-t tuner. The zgemma is good but it has its few issues

Saorview is T2 , what issues have you got with it ?

Correct location and transmitter in use?

Tried an internal aerial if close to transmitter to rule out bad cable.

Saorview is T2 , what issues have you got with it ?

Correct location and transmitter in use?

Tried an internal aerial if close to transmitter to rule out bad cable.
I tried it with a TV in the kit that has perfect signal, it still is jumpy, I tried a fresh cable also from the booster as well

Thanks ferret, yes it's for Saorview. I was looking at the gigablue ue. Not too sure on the ps tuner to be honest. Is there one with 1 satellite tuner and 1 dvb-t tuner. The zgemma is good but it has its few issues
Is that the Gigablue UHD trio your talking about ?

I'd have that lower than the H7.

Take a look Octagon SF8008 combo have 1 sat and a dvbc-t tuner.

He might be better off just using a USB tuner on his Zgemma. The playstation one you mentioned is cheap and is two tuners, so perfect for Saorview.
Apparently Saorview is DVBT2 so the Playstation tuner is no good either

I would blame the software first then the hardware. Can you say what version of openatv you are using and why you prefer it? Also did you move box recently and is it well ventilated? Have you set it up as multiboot and tried an another image like Openvix? These boxes are very good and for the money hard to beat.

Last edited:
I would blame the software first then the hardware. Can you say what version of openatv you are using and why you prefer it? Also did you move box recently and is it well venti;ated? Have you set it up as multiboot and tried an another image like Openvix? These boxes are very good and for the money hard to beat.
Om on openatv 7.2, I have never used anything else if I'm honest.

OK are you sure the aerial is good enough and did you check the connection at rear of box i.e the coax plug, no bits of outer braid touching the inner core. Then you should check and make sure the tuneR is fiTted snugly on the board, means opening the box and look carefully at seating and then press firmly but not too firm.

Then I would try another image i.e vix and use 6.4 dont use 6.5. Go menu, setup, software management, flash online, press yellow distribution, then openvix and follow onscreen prompts, box will make a backup and when flashing will ask if you want to restore but if you are handy do a clean install, its straightforward BUT make sure you select an empty slot and not the current one as it will overwrite 7.2 so be careful.

If SAORVIEW still poor after all that then you can assume dtt TUNER is duff. I would then get a sony playtv usb tuner, I have 4 of them, and disable the onboard tuner, set up the USB one and voila you now have a TWIN TUNER for SAORVIEW. A lot cheaper than buying another box.

Last edited:
OK are you sure the aerial is good enough and did you check the connection at rear of box i.e the coax plug, no bits of outer braid touching the inner core. Then you should check and make sure the tuneR is fiTted snugly on the board, means opening the box and look carefully at seating and then press firmly but not too firm.

Then I would try another image i.e vix and use 6.4 dont use 6.5. Go menu, setup, software management, flash online, press yellow distribution, then openvix and follow onscreen prompts, box will make a backup and when flashing will ask if you want to restore but if you are handy do a clean install, its straightforward BUT make sure you select an empty slot and not the current one as it will overwrite 7.3 so be careful.

If SAORVIEW still poor after all that then you can assume dtt TUNER is duff. I would then get a sony playtv usb tuner, I have 4 of them, and disable the onboard tuner, set up the USB one and voila you now have a TWIN TUNER for SAORVIEW. A lot cheaper than buying another box.
Thanks for the info I will give it a go in the next few days. Thanks

Back