Freesat V8 series

Haven't tried uploading new channel list yet but installed latest firmware and found some channels had no sound. Any ideas?

You will have to adjust the audio track via the audio button on the remote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there

I also have v8 super and was wondering how you go about getting Decades, Movies! and Heroes & Icons ? Cheers

Hello Mack,

I'm sorry, I've been awful busy and over looked your question, then my actuator died. I just bought a new one and FedEx delivered it down the street yesterday. It's all going now. If you are in the US and can see SES-1 at 101w then you should be able to get Decades, Movies!, and Heroes & Icons. They're on C-band. Just scan 101w and they should scan in. But, none of our other receivers would get them stable. The V7 HD and the V8's get them. They're 4MHz apart and apparently the S9's etc are not stable enough. My V8 Super gets them solid as a rock. Also, Laff & Grit etc are really good (on Galaxy 19 97w) but they have audio skips on the V7. The V8 doesn't have any problems with them. Just scan G19 C-band.

The line where it has the misspelling of “Longtitude” was not changed to TRUE!!
I even attempted to change the spelling correctly but it made no difference.
If you change this line it will cause you problems when sending your user file back to the receiver.

Hello,

Yes, I noticed that misspelling too "longtitude". I tried changing it and saving the DB file and then I compared them with a hex editor. Nothing changed, but I didn't load it to the receiver. I'm still waiting on an answer from Rambo about it. Do you know if Longitude (longtitude) is for USALS only? All of my sats have a position, 101w, 103w, 105w etc, but when I enable "longtitude" to view them they all say 360. I really wish I could see the 101 etc to put them in order, can't remember the exact order of all of them but I like them in order in the editor. I've also looked for a sat number and you can turn it on to show it, but it doesn't show in the editor satellite list, you have to edit a sat to see it.

Also, you can change the open="false" to readonly="true" if you just want to view the setting but not change it. I really like having "Motor Type" enabled. It gives you Disque 1.2 or Disque 1.3 options. I have no idea why these were not enabled to begin with. They make adding sats much easier and reduces the amount of remote button pushing when you do the scanning etc.

I've went through all of the files/bins etc with a hex editor and inside DBEditor.exe there is a string that says "All Satellites" and one that says "All Favorites" but the editor doesn't show all favs like the ALI editor. I think there is a command line switch to turn on a lot more options for the "admin" user, but I haven't figured it out.

I'm sure you've seen the ALI Editor for the S9 etc. It has import/export and you can mix-n-match DB files. You can export a sat and import it into another list to complete an incomplete list or import sats you didn't have. A while back they said they would release a new editor in about a week but I suspect the new forum took a lot of time and they'll get to it soon. I hope they make it more like the ALI editor. I'd sure like to have the source code! ;)

Last edited:
Latitude and longitude are incorporated for USALS only.
The editor is being sorted by engineer but progress slow due to forum set up and a somewhat lack of english in the engineering network lol
Reaper.

Latitude and longitude are incorporated for USALS only.
The editor is being sorted by engineer but progress slow due to forum set up and a somewhat lack of english in the engineering network
Reaper.

I assumed as much. You can only ask so much of a guy and if they released it early everyone would complain it's buggy so there you go. You just can't make some people happy! ;)

I finally got mine running like it's supposed to. My actuator stripped the acme nut and I ran out of parts! I collected parts forever and finally had to buy a brand new one for $225. But the good news is it'll last 20 years and that's a lot cheaper than 6 months worth of cable! My second Super should be here but they're playing with it at the post office in Chicago, it has been there for 3 days. The first Super got stuck at customs for 4 days.

I'm using loop out of the Super to the V7 in the other room and it works great! That's why I bought it instead of the Golden. The T2 tuner isn't any good over here and the loop out is. I'd sure like a have one with a ATSC T2 tuner but they'll probably never make one. I can buy a Linux box with plug-in tuners but I don't need it that bad...still I might so I can record OTA TV. The V8 and V7 both run great once you stop jacking with them (programming them). When you get everything all set up and just leave it alone they just work! At the price I'd think you'd be selling more of these then you could get but I guess times are tough and people will use what they have as long as it works. My S9 quit getting some of my favorite channels so I went looking for one that would work! Boy am I ever glad I did! We still don't know why our receivers quit getting Decades etc, something we can't see, not even in the stream.

I see you're on the computer in the mornings, me too, usually not at 4am though. I'm sort of turned around on my sleep over medical reasons, you sleep when you can and you're awake when you are! I'll try and get a little sleep in a while. I've been all over China looking for info on these boxes, and software tools. I found some older Montage tools but nothing that'll work with these. I run Linux and tried out the tools I found in Wine, sure enough, got a virus in Wine! I just deleted the folder and it's running clean again. I do have a Windows virtual machine but it's not as easy to disinfect unless you just delete the VM folder and replace it with a copy. I haven't made a copy of it in a while so I need to do that, I've beefed it up a bit since the last backup copy was made. I hardly ever use it and I'm, glad that EBEditor runs in Wine. I try to avoid anything that I must run full blown Windows for. I do have a Linux version of the S9 editor somewhere but it won't edit the V7/V8 files. I don't know where it came from but I'd sure like to find one for the Freesats! I've been hacking this one trying to get it to show the Sat ID next to the name but not having much luck even though I can get the ID displayed when I edit a sat. Ok, I'll talk to ya later, take care...

Do you know if Longitude (longtitude) is for USALS only?

Sorry, by the time I saw this I see your answer is already given. "Yes".

The reason I modified the editor was because there was no other way to get completed what I wanted to do.
Even though the original editor did not seem fancy I really wish they would have kept it posted so anyone new coming in would at least be able to get the most out of their receivers.
Modifying it as much as I did really helped and now it is doing what I wanted except for the longitude setting problem if that is turned on.
Using the remote to change those settings is not that bad as once done you need to make a backup copy just in case something ever goes wrong.
Having the editor is a must in North America due to many channels needing manual input to get them to work.

Found out today that the V8 Super when installing the new firmware The V8_Super_V347 the old satellite /channel list was no longer able to load back into the receiver. Said it was not compatible or something to that effect. Had to use the satellite list from the V347 firmware to re-create a new North American satellite list.
That was a pain!

---------- Post Merged at 12:32 AM ----------

:druming:yeehaa

They all work! Decades, Movies!, H&I, Laff, Grit and Bounce.

That's not all that works with the latest firmware! I was surprised at what I saw !!! :pop smiley:

Thanks Yankee 495 just picked up your reply. Unfortunately I am in the Uk so I am assuming I won't be able to pick up decades, movies, heroes & icons....

The latest firmware I have is mid July is there much difference with the newest firmware ?

Thanks again

Remember to take a back-up of favourites/lines etc then download firmware--unzip---put .bin file onto usb and load as per norm.
Reaper.

No not at the moment-I will reiterate what I said before--V7 Max and V7 HD use different firmware---there is a channel list for the V8 Golden and Super but once again firmware is different.
Reaper.

No not at the moment-I will reiterate what I said before--V7 Max and V7 HD use different firmware---there is a channel list for the V8 Golden and Super but once again firmware is different.
Reaper.

new firmware and channel list has been released on freest.cn for v7's, everything updated successfully but wifi doesn't seem to be connecting, any solutions to this?

Try a reboot of system without wifi dongle then try to reconnect with dongle in.
Firmware has only just been released so there may or may not be a bug but need more responses from V7 owners.
Reaper.

I have loaded the new f/w for the V7 Max into 10 stock boxes without problem---wifi connects straight away--I won't load the channel list as it was edited for the V7 hd and not the max but otherwise, absolutely no trouble. Firmware for V8 Golden/Super and V7 hd is good to go.
You will hear a small noise [if you have loaded channel list] when you turn over channels, this is the audio self locating set language ie--english, so no worries.

Back