Internet speeds

mine is still the same, is this because i have two other computers linked to the net while i did the test?

[url]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1286036936.png[/URL]

mine is still the same, is this because i have two other computers linked to the net while i did the test?

Other computers connected at the same time should not affect your speed test as such but depending on what they were doing they could.

If either or both of them were performing tasks requiring bandwidth such as downloading or streaming Youtube videos then they most certainly would put pressure on the connection and effect the result of your speed tests. If they were only surfing at the time it shouldn't really effect it.

Other computers connected at the same time should not affect your speed test as such but depending on what they were doing they could.

If either or both of them were performing tasks requiring bandwidth such as downloading or streaming Youtube videos then they most certainly would put pressure on the connection and effect the result of your speed tests. If they were only surfing at the time it shouldn't really effect it.

i'll have to perform a test when they are not using it then

just come in and tried again and speeds of almost 17 but i will ring them tomorrow and find out why site says i should be getting 30 for the price im paying and why they have not upped it on my account, so if i am meant to be getting 30 then 17 is not to good :(

Have you restarted the router since the upgrade to 30?

Restart it let it Sync up and make sure no one else in the house is active, then run a speed test.

i did have to restart router last week but not sure yet til i ring vm if they have upgraded me to 30
well what a load of old BULL!!

Just rang vm and asked about the 30mb and was told i had to pay a 1 off £30 charge to get connected. WTF??? i told him im paying the same price for 20meg as new customers are for 30 meg, Apparently they need to send me a new modem and have it installed - erm i had one of those about a yr aog so why do i need another new one!! They have 2 packages ( the 20meg they dont advertise) so basically old customers if we want an upgrade we have to PAY!!
just looked on thier site and it shows this
OUTRAGEOUS!!! they want to charge me to upgrade - well my package ends in a few weeks for my TV L at the promotional cost - which means that will go up. So might leave it a week or so and tell them where they can stuff thier package - THAT should get me an upgrade!! ive been loyal for over 20 yrs - even when i used "other means" i still paid the basic!
Upgrade from 20Mb to 30Mb for just £30

Upgrade from 20Mb to 30Mb broadband and get the first 6 months for no extra monthly cost, just a one-off payment of £30. For that, we’ll upgrade your wireless router to our new Virgin Media Super Hub so everyone can be online at the same time, in any part of the house.

If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30 and you'll get £5 off your bill for 6 months.

More speed, more of the good stuff
Here's what's included:

* Virgin Media Super Hub wireless modem and router
* Increased speed and reliability
* 10GB of online storage space (plenty for 4000 photos, 2000 music tracks, 16 videos or 800 documents)
* Up to 50 free photo prints each month
* Unlimited downloads of music, films and photos
HTML:
http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

Last edited:
I used to use a programe called Doctor TCP,it was able to increase my download and upload speeds considerable,it analyzes your connection and recomends what adjustments to make,i havent used it since i moved to windows 7,i got it from dsl reports if you want to check it out

Oh darn, I'm looking to upgrade my 10MB connection to 30MB, the guy i spoke too, he left me his number so i can call back again and continue where I left off, he didn't mention a £30 connection free/upgrade charge. But i bet he forgot to mention it and will tell me the next time i call. :whacko:

Oh darn, I'm looking to upgrade my 10MB connection to 30MB, the guy i spoke too, he left me his number so i can call back again and continue where I left off, he didn't mention a £30 connection free/upgrade charge. But i bet he forgot to mention it and will tell me the next time i call. :whacko:

almost certainly will

i got 3 months free internet, without paying from a past problem, i shafted them good and proper, ive had a re pull done my own box in front of my house. they are a joke when you ring them up

well you can see it there in black and white ( so to speak) on their website! if your going for 10 to 30 youll get £5 off your bill for 6 months! tell them you want to upgrade to 20 and see what they say, if they say there is no 20 tell them you have friends that have it lol!
also they didnt mention to me that id get it free for y6 months then i have to pay the extra - BUT there is no extra as 30 is the same price as 20 UNLESS they intend on putting the price up in 6 months!
Plus i have a very good expensive router and can already use it all around the house - so why would i want a new 1 - its only a yr or so old as is the new modem they sent me about a yr ago that i wouldnt need to change for many yrs. The old one i had had for ever 10 yrs.

almost certainly will

i got 3 months free internet, without paying from a past problem, i shafted them good and proper, ive had a re pull done my own box in front of my house. they are a joke when you ring them up

What ticks me off about this entire situation is, if you decide to revert back to your previous internet connection package, they will ask for the equiptment back, and on top of that they charge a fee of £30 for the setup, when all you've to do is replace your old setup with the new one. Its a joke.

The last time my old modem stopped working, they were kind enough to send me a new one.

What did i do with the old one? Put it aside?
kej0qs.jpg

*Picture taken by me..!*

VM certainly do not help sometimes with my temper issues....

Last edited:
There new "modem" that they provide is a modem and router in one. I'm going to confirm this again with that bloke and see if a charge is in place, i'm pretty sure the charge will apply to me like it did with Linny.

Nice Linny..!

Just read this and wish i hadn't:

"If you're on 10Mb broadband you can upgrade for a one-off payment of £30 and you'll get £5 off your bill for 6 months."

So yep, there goes another £30 if we go for the upgrade. I've got the modem thats in the picture i posted [replacement was the same model], I'm using it with a Dynamode BR6004WG-1 which i bought off the price-drop.tv channel. lol It works pretty good, goes through all the rooms just fine, including the attic.

Currently i'm paying £13.50 for 10MB broadband. Since they knock off £5 for 6 months and the price for that is £18.50 a month. This'll mean i'll continue to pay £13.50 for 6 months, and then it'll jump to £18.50 thereafter.

£13.50 + £13.50 + £13.50 = £40.50

Thats like an additional 3 months of payment, they sure know how to make the money of us customers..!

I have the cheek of demanding £30 from them if they want there router back after 6 months... haha, and if they retalliate it will just suffer the same fate as my previous modem.

Update:
If you already have one of these modems from Virgin Media, then the activation fee does not apply. I guess its the only way of getting onto there 30MB service and keeping your existing router. Unless it also acts as a router, but i doubt it does?

vmng300.jpg

Update 2:

Excuse my sudden burst of fury.

But i cant believe what i've just ***** worked out..!

If i take myself for an example.

"Same" price for 6 months
£13.50 x 6 monthly installments = £81!

Standard:
£18.50 x 6 monthly installments = £111

£81 + £30 connection = £111

What clever b*stards! Either way you pay the same thing!

Then they talk about honesty, what bullsh*tters!!

Why beat around the bush and just say, your going to 30MB broadband for £18.50 a month starting next month? :smiley devil:

Last edited:
I know that UPC (one of our providers in Ireland) have announced new speeds and packages here in the last few days and to avail of them you have to change your router.

The speeds I'm talking about are 50 - 100Mbs and require equipment with a wider bandwidth
In this case they are using EuroDOCSIS 3 Modem\Routers.

Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) (often pronounced /ˈdɒksɪs/) is an international telecommunications standard that permits the addition of high-speed data transfer to an existing cable TV (CATV) system. It is employed by many cable television operators to provide Internet access (see cable Internet) over their existing hybrid fiber-coaxial (HFC) infrastructure.

I know that UPC (one of our providers in Ireland) have announced new speeds and packages here in the last few days and to avail of them you have to change your router.

The speeds I'm talking about are 50 - 100Mbs and require equipment with a wider bandwidth
In this case they are using EuroDOCSIS 3 Modem\Routers.

Its the same case with Virmin M3dia aswell. :) Wish i could use my old router and upgrade, want the 30MB connection but hate having to change my router...

Added after 22 minutes:

Here is the routers page that mentions DOCSIS3

How much does it cost?

Code:
http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html

New and existing customers:
Free when you add or upgrade to 30Mb broadband,
50Mb broadband or 100Mb broadband
£75 when taken with 10Mb broadband

WOW! Either my understanding has just gone through the roof, or these guys just like to take you around in circles...

I guess there is only one way this can be solved, a phone call..!

Last edited:
Back