Internet speeds

The speeds I get are what I pay for Time Warner's Roadrunner Turbo service. I pay $44.99 for high speed internet, plus an additional $9.99 for the turbo package. The high speed internet package includes speeds up to 15mbs and the Turbo gives me bursts up to 25mbs.

Bit the bullet..

Went for the 30MB upgrade, my superdud, sorry my superhub should be arriving in the next few days. *Praying to God that it does not screw me around, but if it does, i'm free so I can deal with it, patiently, i hope...*

Dans shame:

Getting charged that £30 activation fee :(, been wondering whether or not to upgrade, and i got fed up and went for it. :)

Will keep you all up to update. :)

oh well hope its worth it!
out of curiosity i just done a speed test - not done one for a while
not bad for a saturday afternoon

Recieved my superdud today at 7:30 PM. :)

Going to set it up and phone them tomorrow, i want this evening to be peaceful without any issues, tomorrow i will face the wrath of this. :)

The box does feel really light. Can easily hold it in one hand.

Will update you all tomorrow, if i make it back to the world wide web. lol

Update: The size of two bricks together (side by side) on a stand. Certainly feels light, roll on tomorrow. (y)

Last edited:
[url]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1286914917.png[/URL]
just come in and tried again and speeds of almost 17 but i will ring them tomorrow and find out why site says i should be getting 30 for the price im paying and why they have not upped it on my account, so if i am meant to be getting 30 then 17 is not to good :(
I used to be with bell and I was only getting 2mb/s when I was suppose to be getting 5mb/s (yeah we have slow internet in Canada), I called up bell about the slow speeds and how they get away with not providing the full 5mb/s is by adding "up to" in the fine print, bunch of feckers, I dumped them right there and then and signed up with another ISP, now I'm getting 5.5mb/s, I guess my point is that some of these ISP's can be pretty sneaky and they know how to screw their customers over.

yes trouble is we often go with the bigwigs and then your stuck with then for the contract or if like me i have various email addresses and some for people i dont use on a regular basis so to change them all ( around 10+ i think lol) from vm to something else would be to much of a pain in the rear

All setup, i was a little confused as to why Google wouldnt load then realised, my manually configured IP isnt going to do the trick anymore, set it to DHCP and away we go.

I got 22MS Ping

16.88MB - DOWNLOAD
300 KBp/s - UPLOAD

I'm quite glad about the upload, but the download is definitley still on the poor side.

Update

OMG! Forget Speed Tests! I just downloaded a file from a direct server and i'm getting 3.9MB and 4.0MB download speeds, this is amazing!

It all depends on where you are. The site My Broadband Speed - Broadband Speed Tester would always give me my 10MB connection on the speed test. However now on the 30MB it only gives me 18MB. Sometimes i only get 6MB on speedtest.net But those tests dont mean a damn thing anymore if i can download from my preferred hosts at speeds of more than 3.0MBp/s! :grin:

Now i'm only half way there. Going to test the wireless. On my blackberry earlier i could get a signal in the dining room, two floors down. Also on the PS3 i got 3 bars. Will keep you updated, jumping with joy here, if the wireless works a treat then im heading to the VM forums. :)

WOO!! After 2 hours my testing is done!

Wireless in all the usual places, its great for surfing!

The PS3 is doing exceptionally well with the demos from PSN. Around 2.2 MBp/s

I'm pretty sure if i never had 3 floors then the speeds would've been alot better, but considering my house build, the SuperHub has done pretty well.

Worries are over, and i'm happy. :)

Just to add

The interface for the Hub is pretty cool! Nice layout..

There is also a page that tells you exactly how much you have downloaded and uploaded in the current session i.e. since your router was turned on.

Will help to try and stay away from being throttled, especially those moments where you are less than a minute away from leaving the peak period, and find that you go just over one megabyte from your fair allowance and then your pretty much hammered for the next 5 hours with crappy speeds. :)

If i were to be throttled now on my 30 MB connecton, I would download max at 700KBp/s which would be equivalent to a 7MB connection for 5 hours, which considering the circumstances, is still pretty decent to download "legit stuff" ;)

Last edited:
Is that where you stream stuff over from a client (laptop/PC) to the PS3?

If it is, i think it might not be for me. :(

I have a thing about streaming. I dont know, but i think it was the way my mind was designed. lol

I rather download content and play it directly on the PS3, or in my case my WDTV media player, than have a computer running upstairs just to stream to another console downstairs, and think that it requires more juice, so i should just download it and watch. :)

Right now, downloading a show in 720p, going to watch it on my WDTV media player tomorrow. Hardly have any content on here, and prefer taking files with me here and there on a USB drive. :)

But that's the nice thing about the PS3 media server, you don't have to stream from your pc/laptop, you can download movies and music and then upload them to your PS3's hard drive and watch them on your TV, I download blu-ray rips and just upload to the PS3 and you get full hi-def. video.

Ah right, gotchya. I understood now.

Before I purchased a PS3, i had the WDTV media player for viewing all my standard and hi-definiton shows. I still prefer the WDTV because of the remote. The PS3 controller can become a pain for me. There are some release groups that encode in a way that the PS3 cannot decode so i often find that majority of the releases i download will work on my WDTV but not on my PS3. But that is a neat idea still.

Glad your happy with it Dan, just to gloat a little more lol,

579.jpg
:p

WOW! 8MS ping?!

You must be really close to that server or your Superhub must be liking its new home. lol

I actually get dreadful results on speed tests, but my downloads are always peaking 2.9MBps to 3.0Mbps. Sometimes i even get 4mbp/s downloading from servers in Europe. It is insane. lol But yeah, I am glad its working fine, now that shiny HP G62 will be the SuperHubs new friend. ;)

Ah right, gotchya. I understood now.

Before I purchased a PS3, i had the WDTV media player for viewing all my standard and hi-definiton shows. I still prefer the WDTV because of the remote. The PS3 controller can become a pain for me. There are some release groups that encode in a way that the PS3 cannot decode so i often find that majority of the releases i download will work on my WDTV but not on my PS3. But that is a neat idea still.

I know what you mean Dan there are certain files that the PS3 cannot play or won't play without having to recode them to a different file format, just stick to divx, xvid, wmv and mt2s and you'll be fine.

I know what you mean Dan there are certain files that the PS3 cannot play or won't play without having to recode them to a different file format, just stick to divx, xvid, wmv and mt2s and you'll be fine.

Yep. I tend to favour the 720p/HD more now that i have the WDTV media player, so beginning to walk away from just the .avi container. I believe sooner or later "mp4" will become the new "avi" so to speak.

Yep. I tend to favour the 720p/HD more now that i have the WDTV media player, so beginning to walk away from just the .avi container. I believe sooner or later "mp4" will become the new "avi" so to speak.

I've downloaded a few movies in 1080p and they look pretty sweet, they don't seem to look quite as good as playing straight from a blu-ray, I'm pretty sure there is some compression going on, but if they didn't the files would be well into the 9 to 10 Gb/s range.

Bit the bullet..

Went for the 30MB upgrade, my superdud, sorry my superhub should be arriving in the next few days. *Praying to God that it does not screw me around, but if it does, i'm free so I can deal with it, patiently, i hope...*

Dans shame:

Getting charged that £30 activation fee :(, been wondering whether or not to upgrade, and i got fed up and went for it. :)

Will keep you all up to update. :)

OK i think Dan you started a new thread re upgrading, cant find it but found this. I too now have the superhub, just installed it. Had to ring them up to activate it, and well ive just done a speedtest and its reading

will do a speed test again in a few days as i wont have pc on much after today for a few days!
But lets hope my speed picks up as like Dan i should now be on 30mb - begrudged paying the £30 activation but lets hope its worth it. TBH all i had to do was plug it in ring them and within minutes it was all working - not checked the wireless side yet - but not heard no screams saying its not working lol!

Last edited:
Back