Internet speeds

I may just be aborting the entire idea of going for that upgrade now, i've spent an entire hour doing abit of research and reading some customer reviews about the VM hub, and the reviews have been absolutely appauling! First i thought, there are alot of people with problems, maybe they just got the bad batch of routers, or they're all running out of luck....

Then i came across this with pretty much sealed the deal:

Code:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/02/22/virgin-media-uk-admits-to-broadband-speed-problems-with-new-superhub-routers.html

I remember being upgraded from 2mb to 10MB for nothing? Maybe they will move there 10MB customers up now, since 10MB is now the lowest available package.... Think i'll hang in there for a bit.

good find Dan! well think like you ill stick to me 20 for now as i only have the odd problem with speeds - usually when im trying to do to much at once - impatient thats me lol! i dont usually download as much as i had done over the last few days ( boredom )!!!

Virgin Media Super Hub.....SHAME!

Code:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Virgin-Superhub-NOT-Major-problems-and-now-getting-very-annoyed/td-p/478895

I just stumble on these one after another after another, its not just Virgin Medias community forum that is being flooded with dissatisfied customers but the entire internet is buzzing...

I truly do feel sorry for those undergoing this problem. They continue to dish this sh*t out, continue to upgrade there internet speeds, continue to promise more and more, they know that the hubs are totally crapping out on them, and yet they continue to use it.

I dont know why they dont supply there customers with the 50MB modems instead, as most households that have an internet connection always have a wireless router, and more than likely, one that will perform alot better than this CRAPPY SUPERHUB..!

Would say it seems as though the score is:

Customers: 1
Virgin Media: 0

But as of right now, they are doing nothing but ripping of those who are upgrading, and hardly not doing anything about it.!

Virgin Media should be acting as fast as Sony had to with the attack on their servers, but nooooo, they seem to be very relaxed...

well at least people on here that read this will know NOT to upgrade until they sort it out!
Exactly as you say i would say most of the people on here even have a decent router and for fast internet speed all we need is a modem that can cope! Not much to ask for what we pay is it??

interesting reading that page Dan!
so no upgrade for us then - at least we know what we are getting with what we already have!

Usually find I get what I pay for with VM, you can't better the speeds anywhere in the UK.

This is with my son online upstairs playing WOW.

1291314295.png

Yeah I have the superhub Dan, I have had it for around 2 months now without any problems.

I have had 4.90 out of it before now but as said my son is playing WOW upstairs.

Yeah I have the superhub Dan, I have had it for around 2 months now without any problems.

I have had 4.90 out of it before now but as said my son is playing WOW upstairs.

Awesome, just the guy to ask. (y)

How is the wireless coverage on it?

I'm going to go for the 30MB one after my last exam this month. :)

Coverage is okay, I can take the lappy out to the end of the garden which is about 18 meters away and still get about 55% signal.

My sons bedroom is just above this PC so obviously thats up at 95%,

I just tried my sons now and sent it to myself via email and this is his result

1291366325.png

Pretty good for wireless lol.

Ahh, that is alright, mostly i be near the conservatory, that included with my garden is a staggering 40+ foot, probably more. :(

You have just upgraded 2 months ago, did you have a router before this Super Hub, if so, did your previous router have a stronger signal than this Super Hub or vice versa? :)

Dans asking Q's for both of us! :)

H you seem to be the only one thats not been affected by the dodgy hubs! I get good wireless signal on Georges pc directly under my pc but other pcs in other side of house ( stairs in middle) are not always as good and dining room downstairs other side of house can be hit and miss.
I think ill see how it goes over the next few months. I was going to upgrade last year to 50 but never got round to it as i was told they had to come in and install new hub/cable ect and id just bought my new Belkin N+
If they are phasing out the 20 and expecting people to upgrade to 30 they may drop the charge in a few months - especially if they are having so many problems!
Dan if you do go for 30 keep us updated x

Oops, think i submitted the same message twice. lol

The router that i have now is a Dynamode BR6004 WG-1, I've had it for around two years now. One of the functionality that i like is the built in dyndns registration, so i can have my own little webserver spaces powered by my own computer and connection for sharing files with others, only bad point is that the speed is slow with a 10MB connection.

Last edited:
Initially I was on 50 to start I was being cut off the internet all the time, VM engineer told me there were to many connections in the cabinet, basically they have over sold my area.

They agreed a good deal with me and I downgraded to 30mb temp until they had put up a new cabinate with plenty of space for me.

We had a new cab placed at the end of our road recently so I moved back to 50 and we are now connected to that,

If you get 30 or above you have to have the SH, before that I was 20mb on a crappy hub and the range was poor.

Make sure you get this off the engineer NETGEAR USB WIRELESS ADAPTER (11N DUAL BAND WNDA3200).. | eBay UK

I had to ask him for it then I rang VM and told them it was broken so got another free for the lappy (I know i'm bad) :no no: lol.

I think what allot forget that is people only usually post rants etc when they have bad experiences, not many make a thread saying how good a service is.

Take for eg this new superhub, we read reports of how bad it is and you will only see these because a person is frustrated and rightly so.

I did have problems from the start and after many hours and reporting every issue they did respond and do something about it.

Been with VM for over 10 years now and would never change my BB services because they are the best in the UK fact.
There customer services however are not but with persistence I seem to have got what I wanted now and I am sure thousands of other's have too, as said we only hear of the bad news, imagine if all the satisfied customers posted ;).

Yes you are right H. That totally slipped my mind. :)

Ah, do i absolutely have to use to use that dongle when connecting to the Superhub wirelessly? I dont know why but i hate things sticking out of my laptop, when i'm working, i find that i transfer files to my laptop, once i've finished working on it, i then transfer them back onto the USB drive.

Will my existing broadcom adapter work with the SuperHub?

What is with the /G vs /N transmission type anyway? [I haven't quite clearly grasped it yet]

Did you have to pay any activation fee when you got on the 50MB package initially?

You dont have to use there's but my lappy will only get 20mb downloads via the inbuilt wifi, with there's I get the full 50mb download. It depends on what you have onbaord but your better off asking the engineer when he comes round if you have what's needed.

It has never bothered me so haven't gone down that route before.

The new deal they have atm the activation is free, they tried to charge me 30 quid back then but I got that taken off with a quick phone call and a rant.

Awesome. :)

I have read that some people were not told about the activation fee and then out of the blue, when everything was set, they suddenly were asked for £30.

Not to worry, my rant mode is always with me. (y)

Ah, another thing, when they send the Super Hub over, do they mean that they send an engineer over or just send the Super Hub through the post?

Oh, hmm, i think i will just suck it up.

If i get just 20MB on my laptop, then i'll be alright with that, the Super Hub will be wired to my computer in the attic, thats where i do all my downloading, its like my little crib. (y) So if i can get the full 30MB on the PC then i'm happy.

Laptop has some crappy specs, so i'll be shooting myself in the foot by downloading stuff on this. :) Its strictly for working/surfing purposes.

But you are right aswell, i'll keep one with me just incase. :)

Update:

Ah yeah, how long did it take for the Super Hub to arrive? [rough estimate]

Last edited:
They had to send out an engineer to arrive with the SH and activate it via phone call, I think they need to alter something in the cab also, but I could be mistaken on that point.

With 30 I always got around 31mb and around 3.20 upload.

P.s sorry Linny if we hijacked your thread and hope you get sorted out!.

Back