Guide A guide to the best boxes for IPTV 2021

Just seen formuler have brought out a z mini, has mol3 on. Interesting to see what the price point will be. Could be a good time with all the talk around the fire sticks.

Just seen formuler have brought out a z mini, has mol3 on. Interesting to see what the price point will be. Could be a good time with all the talk around the fire sticks.
Talking of formuler has there market place gone from here or is my phone playing up and not showing.

Yip exactly, had a look on eBay recently and it was very hard to get the shield pro without going for crazy prices. I think people are expecting the Fire stick issue to be a killer, but a tip for someone is, you can pick up shield pros at cex second hand,but price’s vary. C.

I’ve just bought a brand new Nvidia Shield Pro,and it’s absolutely brilliant when I compared it to some other Android device’s,it left the Fire Stick 4 k Max in its wake,Upscaling was brilliant,playing Tomb Raider on it was glitch free,and watching Netflix 4K and Prime movies was really super clear and with the sound put through my soundbar was a knockout, it seems to handle anything you throw at it,it’s this tiny small box with a backlit toblerone shape remote. Now it wasn’t cheap I paid the full price for it,I tried to get one from Amazon and got the reply they were out of stock. So my advice is if you can get your hands on a really good second hand or brand new one grab it,as in a couple of months it will be nigh impossible. Now there are loads of other top whack android boxes out there guy’s the choice is yours,but this is only my humble take on it,but I’ve tried loads of kit from the latest Canadian boxes,Humax,all the Fire sticks,but so far the Shield Pro is way out in front,I think it’s the ease of use,as the remote has only a few buttons and the AI upscale makes your tv experience brilliant picture quality. After that’s all said,if you don’t like it after you’ve bought it,you’ll have no problem what so ever selling it…….C

Is it really worth buying a Shield just for streaming tv?? I have a FS and have no problems with picture, sound or lagging. Sure I have to empty cache every now and again but that is not really a huge problem for me.

Is it really worth buying a Shield just for streaming tv?? I have a FS and have no problems with picture, sound or lagging. Sure I have to empty cache every now and again but that is not really a huge problem for me.
I think it's all a matter of personal preference.
If the Fire Stick is perfect for your needs and you're happy then its all good!
Some may prefer other QOL things like responsiveness, backlit remote, upscaling etc.
Each to their own I say :)

I think it's all a matter of personal preference.
If the Fire Stick is perfect for your needs and you're happy then its all good!
Some may prefer other QOL things like responsiveness, backlit remote, upscaling etc.
Each to their own I say :)

Thanks for the reply!
Responsivness is nothing I've noticed on my FS to be honest, but I guess it 's just a matter of time.

TBH I would like a box, since everyone says it's the way to go but I'm worried about so much money and not *that* much in difference. The price between the Shield and the Formuler is negligible but the consensus seems to be that the shield is the better device. The fact that it's from 2019 worries me a little, that in the near future it will be unusable or will cause problems. Really stumped to be honest :grin:

Thanks for the reply!
Responsivness is nothing I've noticed on my FS to be honest, but I guess it 's just a matter of time.

TBH I would like a box, since everyone says it's the way to go but I'm worried about so much money and not *that* much in difference. The price between the Shield and the Formuler is negligible but the consensus seems to be that the shield is the better device. The fact that it's from 2019 worries me a little, that in the near future it will be unusable or will cause problems. Really stumped to be honest :grin:
Nvidia update the software regularly, the 2017 model is still being updated.
I don't think that is the case for the Formuler boxes.

Thanks for the reply!

The only real reported issue’s that the Shield has is it can’t play HDR YouTube videos and it doesn’t support AV1 codec.

and it doesn’t support AV1 codec.

Isn't this a strong negative? sorry, I know what AV1 is, but how that plays into streaming services/providers in the present and near future I don't know. It's things like this that make me hesitate. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing?

Isn't this a strong negative? sorry, I know what AV1 is, but how that plays into streaming services/providers in the present and near future I don't know. It's things like this that make me hesitate. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing?
That will make no difference in the future, You can work round the YouTube issue with Vance if that was a thing.
I'm happy with 4k YouTube which it provides.
There are more negatives to the Formuler with Netflix and other Google approved apps ! You will have to side loads mobile versions of crappy SD apps

Didn't know it couldn't do HDR YouTube.
I think it just plays them in SDR but not something I have tested because I don’t own one. But it has been discussed on Reddit, as has the AV1 codec issue.
I not a deal breaker for many looking how many people own Shields and are still buying them. Also think many are hoping that Nvidia brings a new Shield out.
There would definitely be a market for them.

Isn't this a strong negative? sorry, I know what AV1 is, but how that plays into streaming services/providers in the present and near future I don't know. It's things like this that make me hesitate. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.
Not something to worry about really. YouTube and Netflix use AV1 codec on supported devices.

Back