span123

I tried to go back from Windows 11 to 10, put my bitlocker code in but keeps saying automatic repair failed, and computer did not start property. Any ideas. TIA

I tried to go back from Windows 11 to 10, put my bitlocker code in but keeps saying automatic repair failed, and computer did not start property. Any ideas. TIA
sorry never used bitlocker on windows I did try windows 11 but I made backup of windows 10 with acronis first.

have you got a bootable windows image? either USB or CD? should be able to reach a Command promt with the repair tool on the Windows image and disable bitlocker that way

Or can't remember off the top of my head but either reboot your machine and spam either the f8 or f11 key that should start windows in recovery mode

once you get the recovery menu go to Adavnced Options , Command prompt and type the following

Manage-bde –status This will check the status of Bitlocker.

Then remove bitlocker from the Drive.. i assume it will be the C: drive if its the bootable drive by typing

manage-bde -off C:

Do one final Status check to make this bitlocker is now disabled

Manage-bde –status

Reboot and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Ok try
manage-bde -unlock C: -rp 123456-123456-123456-123456-123456-123456 the last bit is the recovery key.

If that works and unlocks it then try

manage-bde -off C:

and then check the status

Manage-bde –status

might take a while to decrypt depending on how big the drive is, Once decrypted run the status check

Manage-bde –status

Should say

Fully decrypted
Protection off
Unlocked

and then try your windows repair

yeah could take a while.

Take into fact

Disk Size
Disk type (Sata,SSD)
Read/write speed Cpu load etc.

I Think Microsoft said something like 1 minute per every GB to decrypt