Covid19 Vaccination

it will get to a point where you wont be able to cross a border without having the vaccine
quite a few countries have already stipulated you must have a negative test within 72hrs of entry,
I know of some colleagues who were turned back at Denmarks border as their test was over by a few hours, simply because they had connections and flight delays.
the same will happen with vaccines after a while.

Anyone that doesn't take the vaccine just think - this is a virus you have probably NEVER had. Your body does NOT know how to respond to it, it is a new threat. The vaccine is not going to stop you from ever getting the virus, it is going to give your immune system a much much better chance of fighting the virus off quickly without any severe effects. Don't be one of these people who wish they took the vaccine, take it and improve your chances to live and fight another day.

it will get to a point where you wont be able to cross a border without having the vaccine
quite a few countries have already stipulated you must have a negative test within 72hrs of entry,
I know of some colleagues who were turned back at Denmarks border as their test was over by a few hours, simply because they had connections and flight delays.
the same will happen with vaccines after a while.

Welcome to the new dawn of travelling. The ease in which we are able to travel accelerated the spread of this virus and now it is going to have the responsibility will stop with them to prevent it spreading again. Can you imagine a new variant of the COVID virus emerging that is immune to the vaccine spreading throughout the world again - that will be us all back to square one.

What a strange thing to say. It's preventative, it's not a treatment, it's to stop the illness not to cure it.
If you mean you are healthy enough to survive it then that's a different matter. Just so long as everyone you are related to and work with are equally as healthy then no one has anything to worry about
It's not a strange thing to say, why would I and others take something we won't need,, I have had the flu before, nothing I can't handle. Average age for deaths is 81,,all with 2.35 other life threatening illness, you would think no one ever died before covid came along.

It's not a strange thing to say, why would I and others take something we won't need,, I have had the flu before, nothing I can't handle. Average age for deaths is 81,,all with 2.35 other life threatening illness, you would think no one ever died before covid came along.
Cancer and dementia aren't contagious.
Average age of deaths may be 81 but all those tens of thousands of people in hospital aren't in their eighties, they range from 50 to 100 and each one of them needs a bed

as with most vaccines the idea is to achieve a level of immunity within a population such that the virus is eradicated.

it's not a simple question of 'do i need it' - most will not 'need' it per se

it's more a question of 'am i civic-minded enough to take it'? : are the risks small enough, the inconvenience low enough that i will carry those costs for the protection of those closest to me, and for the wider good.

it's big game of prisoners dilemma where if you are one of a tiny number of abstainers you can freeload off other's immunity without the inconvenience/risk, such that they exist. you cannot catch the virus as others around you have taken the vaccine

but if there are too many abstainers you do not get to freeload and the abstainers impose costs onto society as a whole through overloaded hospitals, lockdowns, etc etc. and you also carry risk as you most certainly can catch a potentially debilitating virus, or pass it onto a loved one.

we recently saw the reemergence of measles due to enough parents being swayed by bad science to lower the immunity such that the disease could make a comeback

my guess is that the negative externalities imposed by people not taking the vaccine will not be simply absorbed by others. there will be costs imposed on abstainers through companies not wanting to have their custom, insurers reflecting the extra risk in their calculations etc

we may also see incentives going the other way.

Last edited:
Uptake amongst care home staff anecdotally has not been great and if it's a barometer of how Facebook members generally see the vaccine then it's not promising for herd immunity being achieved

My sister in law works in a care home in the offices. She's an anti-vaxer but the pressure from her management team to take the vaccine was absolutely intense. She caved in the end and had it. In this situation, it won't be as simple as staff saying 'I'm not taking it'. They're under huge pressure to 'get with the program'.

edit: just read another of your posts. It's obvious that it depends from care home to care home.

Last edited:
Anyone that doesn't take the vaccine just think - this is a virus you have probably NEVER had. Your body does NOT know how to respond to it, it is a new threat. The vaccine is not going to stop you from ever getting the virus, it is going to give your immune system a much much better chance of fighting the virus off quickly without any severe effects. Don't be one of these people who wish they took the vaccine, take it and improve your chances to live and fight another day.

The message should not be 'think of what might happen to you if you don't have it', it should be 'think of someone other than yourself'.

Sorry if that offends anyone. I'm sure people have different reasons for either taking it or not taking it and it's personal choice. Regardless of that, the amount of selfishness I've seen throughout the pandemic is really depressing.

My sister in law works in a care home in the offices. She's an anti-vaxer but the pressure from her management team to take the vaccine was absolutely intense. She caved in the end and had it. In this situation, it won't be as simple as staff saying 'I'm not taking it'. They're under huge pressure to 'get with the program'.
Thanks for that, interesting the different approaches.

We have a few staff not taking the vaccine, most down to fears about things that they have read on social media. A few have vulnerable family members, and have been very upset about not being able to see them, so for those to decline the vaccine having seen first hand the impact it can have on young and old (we had a couple of staff hit hard, as well as service users) does not bode well for the public roll out imo

edit: just read another of your posts. It's obvious that it depends from care home to care home.
It wouldn't surprise me if "vaccinated only" starts appearing in job adverts, not just in care sector but across the entire job market

The message should not be 'think of what might happen to you if you don't have it', it should be 'think of someone other than yourself'.

Sorry if that offends anyone. I'm sure people have different reasons for either taking it or not taking it and it's personal choice. Regardless of that, the amount of selfishness I've seen throughout the pandemic is really depressing.
Usually yes but regardless of having the vaccine or not the virus can still spread.

Usually yes but regardless of having the vaccine or not the virus can still spread.
You're not getting this, it's not about stopping the virus spreading,
It's about stopping it affecting people so badly that they need hospital treatment.
That's what the vaccine does, prewarn your body as to what to look out for, and attack on sight,
If your body doesn't know what the virus looks like it may take too long to build up the anti-vodies to fight it, and you may well be hospitalised before then.

You're not getting this, it's not about stopping the virus spreading,
It's about stopping it affecting people so badly that they need hospital treatment.
That's what the vaccine does, prewarn your body as to what to look out for, and attack on sight,
If your body doesn't know what the virus looks like it may take too long to build up the anti-vodies to fight it, and you may well be hospitalised before then.

What are you on about? I never said anything different - read my post before the one you quoted.

My post was an opinion on @RapidDevil approach to the vaccine. The poster talked about how selfish people have been during the pandemic, something we have all observed no doubt and most selfish behaviour for me stems from those not wearing masks, not isolating when they should have and flouting the lockdown rules. Sending out the message 'think of someone other than yourself' is not an approach that is going to work because they have already shown they do not care. Instead make them think about their decisions take the vaccine and protect yourself rather than put yourself at risk of dying.

Sending out the message 'think of someone other than yourself' is not an approach that is going to work because they have already shown they do not care. Instead make them think about their decisions take the vaccine and protect yourself rather than put yourself at risk of dying.

I respectfully disagree. Those you speak of will not have the vaccine for any reason imo. But there will be an awful lot of people out there that do follow the rules but still don't think they need it personally. These are the kind of people I hope will respond to this message.

I respectfully disagree. Those you speak of will not have the vaccine for any reason imo. But there will be an awful lot of people out there that do follow the rules but still don't think they need it personally. These are the kind of people I hope will respond to this message.
Personally I don't think there will be a huge uptake on the vaccine through either approach if I am honest. If you look at it from our very basic necessities such as self-preservation - if people aren't willing to get the vaccine on that basis then they are definitely not going to get it thinking of someone else. However, you could've meant think of someone other than yourself in terms of a parent - get the vaccine so your children grow up with their parents still around perspective.

Covid-19: Oxford-AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine approved for use in UK
The coronavirus vaccine designed by scientists at the University of Oxford has been approved for use in the UK.
It marks a major turning point and will lead to a massive expansion in the UK's immunisation campaign, which is aimed at getting life back to normal.
The UK has ordered 100 million doses from the manufacturer AstraZeneca - enough to vaccinate 50 million people
Covid-19: Oxford-AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine approved for use in UK

The sooner the better , the horror videos of overrun hospital emergency departments are popping up all over social media and YT , thats before we see the fall out from the stupid decision to allow mixing on christmas day.
Hopefully the PM will act faster this time given that the worst affected area appears to be the south east. We need an immediate and properly policed severe lockdown.
Anybody showing up at super spreader anti mask/vax protests should be arrested and fined heavily.

You can dress it up whatever way you like, at the end of the day we all have the right to refuse,,the big pharma companies should be held liable for there products like everyone else. "no matter what your government does or agrees to " any rational thinking person would see that. pfizer is one of the largest drug companies on the planet and one of the most corrupt ,they have been buying there way for years ,local authorities,gp,s, ect..only intereted in the dollar.being classed as selfish for refusing to a vaccine that has yet to be proven safe "nothing selfish about that" , what is selfish is letting your families buy into this, who knows how it will affect them down the line, if thats a chance your willing to take so be it..or maybe people just want that holiday in the sun " that would not surprise me at all " people have becom oblivious the everything around them , the very reason the greater population are so easy led up the garden path.

Personally I think the uptake will be very high and imo should be, with the present situation with Hospital capacity and infection rates!
I understand there will be people who will refuse it! But the only way out of this mess is mass vaccination! I welcomed Spain's statement of keeping a non vaccine register!
The only exception should be people with allergies etc!! IMO of course!

Back