Disgusted today...

If you don't like that huge mark up stop shaming shops that modestly raise prices, and there won't be empty shelves and Mr Evil Tenner Chaser has to sell for less.

Shops that modestly raise prices??? :tearsofjoy: That's not what this conversation is about.

Shops that modestly raise prices??? :tearsofjoy: That's not what this conversation is about.

Well it is, as the only reason people can charge high mark ups is because there is little to no competition.

That's because the shelves were emptying in supermarkets. That increased demand led to more demand, which led to emptier shelves, which increase demand... A negative feedback loop.

If supermarkets raised prices early a lot of that early demand would have been quelled - people would have preferred to buy summat other than a gargantuan load of bog roll - so the subsequent iterations of panic never happen.

But supermarkets cannot raise prices as people would be all over Twitter wetting the bed as they'd prefer a low price tag on an empty shelf. Morals, innit guv.

Price is a very useful way of aggregating information. When you fix prices you lose that info. Some info is important. Like who needs baby milk the most. Or that NHS workers would like to wipe their arse after a 12hr shift

Having different prices across a range of products ensures they will NEVER disappear.
People on Facebook that caused all this shite saying "empty shelves at asda" want 28p soup and 40p milk then cry on social media that their babies are starving.
Go your local shop, he's got tons of 50p milk and 50p soup because he's a theif

Just go to a farmers field and milk a few cows if in desperate need of milk easy to do so I've been told svaes getting fleeced and paying extortion prices pmsl just remember :mask::mask::mask:

My first post in this thread could be mis read, and was read in different ways as text always can be. So here is a bit of text with two meanings:

I helped my friend jack off a horse.

What does that mean :love:

Last edited:
People seem to be blinded with panic buying that they have failed to realise that whilst supermarkets aren't necessarily raising prices they are removing promotions which effect still hits consumers in the pocket.

Examples noticed today compared with purchases on Thursday....

Large bottles of beer 4 for £6. Today £2 each.

Large bottles of coke 2 for £3.50. Today £1.85

5 cans of small pop used to be £1.50. Today 40p each.

Point is simple if you think it's only small retailers taking the p!ss than you are stupid.

None of the above had buy limits and I accept they are not essential items but these promotions are typically year round so why change it now? Oh wait they are still a business and out to make as much money as possible without facing backlash from consumers. Co op no different in removing discounts

Last edited:
My local shop has put a limit on one of everything today so like 1 4pt milk 1 loaf of bread 1 pizza ect

I was in Booker's cash and carry today which is trade only. There were no eggs, bread, nappies, hand sanitizer, milk etc because they had all been bought by non English speaking convenience store shopkeepers. The warehouse opened at 6.am but the shopkeepers were queuing at 5.15 am to buy all of those. A carton of six eggs trade price is 65p with £1.00 marked on the box, which gives a profit of 35p per carton. The shopkeepers were selling the eggs for £4.50 per carton which is a profit of £3.85
All the other products were similarly marked up with hand sanitizer at £9.00!!

One of the corner shops customers called the councils trading standards to complain about profiteering. An officer went to speak to one of the shopkeepers who said Booker's cash and carry had trebled their normal trade prices. No they hadn't. :rage:

The prices in Booker's hadn't gone up at all. The shopkeepers are liars and profiteers.
i bet they only tell the taxman they sold them for retail as well

I went twice to supervalu to get what i needed as previous visits they had not got my flavoured water.Stock came in that day and was able to get my 8 packs of 250ml at same price at e 3.50 so grabbed 4.Rice krispies plenty of but my sardines were still not there but have salmon instead for sambos.
At a later date might have to go back for more stock but need to have more protection on as things are still upgrading on the virus.

Back