GrogBuild How to install grogbuild without usb mounted hdd

I forgot to say, do not rename the zipped image file. Your post had a different name on it, so I am assuming you are renaming it.

forgive me if it's shown earlier in this thread but recently purchased zgemma h82h enigma box - comes with homebuild pli - trying to flash to openatv - previously flashed on a zgemma h2s without any problems - followed instructions and extracted zip file to usb stick then powered on and press power button on the remote - it won't let me flash - even within pli says no updates available. Network setup fine - is there a way of flashing openatv through putty or another method.

forgive me if it's shown earlier in this thread but recently purchased zgemma h82h enigma box - comes with homebuild pli - trying to flash to openatv - previously flashed on a zgemma h2s without any problems - followed instructions and extracted zip file to usb stick then powered on and press power button on the remote - it won't let me flash - even within pli says no updates available. Network setup fine - is there a way of flashing openatv through putty or another method.
If you follow the Grogbuild setup guide it will flash openatv 6.4 to the box and add Grogbuild enhancements

if not showing in mount manager at all then that would suggest the stick can't see it.

If you click on file list, how much free space does it say you have, if it's something silly like 64kb then it's looking at the internal space and not your usb stick

if not showing in mount manager at all then that would suggest the stick can't see it.

If you click on file list, how much free space does it say you have, if it's something silly like 64kb then it's looking at the internal space and not your usb stick

yeah media/usb showing 64kb - free disk space - prior to inserting in the device I've formatted it as fat32 in windows - also tried initialized disk option in openpli - so how do I get round that.

You can't use grogs script to flash if on OpenPLi. You will have to flash OpenATV first.

Which version of OpenPLi do you have. Version and date please. You can find details in Menu, Information, About.

Best you download the 6.4 OpenATV image ( if you want to use Grogbuild) and flash by USB. The USB stick must be in fat32 format for this process and preferrably smaller than 8GB. Just leave that USB stick to one side for USB flashing. Don't faff about with formatting it in linux file system (initialising) it.

You must have a storage device in linux file system mounted for the grog customisation process.

You can't use grogs script to flash if on OpenPLi. You will have to flash OpenATV first.

Which version of OpenPLi do you have. Version and date please. You can find details in Menu, Information, About.
Thanks for all the replies so far - I bought this device second hand - I've used Zgemma H2s before and that was easy to flash but the H82H more difficult

Build Date & Last update the same - 2020-07-08
Enigma Version same date (develop)
Kernel Version: 4.4.345
Image Openpli homebuild.

Even on the information page it detects SanDisk 14.9 as detected HDD

I could use as is - but would like to be able to software update - it won't let me do that. Network test fine.

The way storage devices are mounted is different across the images. OpenVix/OpenATV will mount a USB device as hdd if it is the only device. OpenPLi mounts it as USB or the device name. Grog's script uses boxbraning to download the image and then flash it, PLI do not have boxbranding, so it won't work. Grog's script checks for /media/hdd in linux file system to do the unzipping then flashing.

Please forget the mounting/initialisation for now. If you are in autopilot you are not going to progress. The way some terms are misused or mean different things in different context does not make things easier

Do the following:
Flash OpenATV 6.4 by USB.

Or
if your box has a recovery mode, you can flash from there.

Or
Use Dimitrij's automtic full backup plugin to flash the image
automatic-full-backup/enigma2-plugin-extensions-automatic-fullbackup_7.0_all.ipk at master · Dima73/automatic-full-backup

Once you are on OpenATV 6.4, then go forward with the grogbuild customisation process

The way storage devices are mounted is different across the images. OpenVix/OpenATV will mount a USB device as hdd if it is the only device. OpenPLi mounts it as USB or the device name. Grog's script uses boxbraning to download the image and then flash it, PLI do not have boxbranding, so it won't work. Grog's script checks for /media/hdd in linux file system to do the unzipping then flashing.

Please forget the mounting/initialisation for now. If you are in autopilot you are not going to progress. The way some terms are misused or mean different things in different context does not make things easier

Do the following:
Flash OpenATV 6.4 by USB.

Or
if your box has a recovery mode, you can flash from there.

Or
Use Dimitrij's automtic full backup plugin to flash the image
automatic-full-backup/enigma2-plugin-extensions-automatic-fullbackup_7.0_all.ipk at master · Dima73/automatic-full-backup

Once you are on OpenATV 6.4, then go forward with the grogbuild customisation process

thanks but it won't allow me to flash by usb - I've put image on usb, turned on device and pressed power/menu buttons but it will not flash - reason why I was hoping to flash through putty. How is Dimitrij automatic backup work - I guess still through usb which seems to be the problem.

thanks but it won't allow me to flash by usb - I've put image on usb, turned on device and pressed power/menu buttons but it will not flash - reason why I was hoping to flash through putty. How is Dimitrij automatic backup work - I guess still through usb which seems to be the problem.
Try a different usb, some are not recognised by the box, just format it with FAT32 and put the unzipped image on it and then into the box

With Dimitrij plugin, you unzip the image, Transfer it to storage device and then select it to flash.

His plugin only works on devices supported by OpenPLi.

Please reboot box, then issue this command using putty/terminal and post back result.

df -Th

I find genuine SanDisk 16 GB or less are bomb proof for flashing zgemma boxes.

With Dimitrij plugin, you unzip the image, Transfer it to storage device and then select it to flash.

His plugin only works on devices supported by OpenPLi.

Please reboot box, then issue this command using putty/terminal and post back result.

df -Th
transferred the image and flashed it - says done but is there a way of finding if it's installed the image or not.

when I enter the command - it just shows me the filesystem directory 1673277557805.png

Your screenshot still says homebuild PLI. Your USB stick is not in Linux file system ( just for information at this stage).

How did you flash it? Post a screenshot of Menu, Information, About.

Are you in expert mode, if not, please enable it. Then check if you have a flash image option.

In the standby menu, do you have a multi boot image selector option?

I didn't flash it - bought second hand and this was the image I guess that was flashed to it.

On the setup menu there is a flash image option - when I try to use this - cannot find images please try later. I've unzipped the open atv file and it creates a folder on the usb stick with a name of h8 and files within that folder.

Screenshot

1673294081597.png

Back