Laptop fan won't work dell E6510

Well that's not a surprise.
It could be the PSU/ motherboard but I'd try a new fan first but you may want to test the output to the fan before you order one

i powered laptop down then pressed power button laptop powered up pressed power button again fan burst on laptop shut down
sneaky feeling it might be board

Everything that can be done to troubleshoot it is mentioned in this thread. You need to start with all these things mentioned. After that you can't go any further without a multimeter.

Reset the BIOS to default settings.
try boot f12 and run diag on the fan if there's an option.
I'd also try taking the battery out of the motherboard with the lead and battery unplugged and holding down the power button to drain any power left in the board for 30 second. Then back together and try again.
I'd be tempted to also try earlier versions of the BIOS failing all above

i powered laptop down then pressed power button laptop powered up pressed power button again fan burst on laptop shut down
Board = £200
Fan = £20
Why would you want to change the motherboard without first trying everything else and trying a cheap fan if required

Everything that can be done to troubleshoot it is mentioned in this thread. You need to start with all these things mentioned. After that you can't go any further without a multimeter.
try boot f12 and run diag on the fan if there's an option. there is no fan option just mem. test
will let you know later thanx

there is no fan option just mem. test
will let you know later thanx

I presume you plugged it back in before running that test.

Just to add. Also look through the BIOS settings. I'm sure there's an option for the fan settings being set to "passive". Try changing that around save and exit.

Failing all that above, multimeter.

I presume you plugged it back in before running that test.
yip
Just to add. Also look through the BIOS settings. I'm sure there's an option for the fan settings being set to "passive". Try changing that around save and exit.
not got them in bios but set active in win power options
Failing all that above, multimeter.
looks like it
thanx for help guys any more ideas feel free to post

Are you really sure fan is not working as HiTecK said sometimes on certain laptops you will hear fan spinning up at bios stage the it will go quiet I also had the same with HP desktop , have you tried removing battery from laptop then power it up it could power supply but cheaper to buy new fan first try that . seen it a good few times on desktops you could just short two pins on power supply to test it fan would spin but when you plugged it back into mother board nothing not enough power.

hi again guys thanx for info so far
i got a fan in pc shop in glasgow yesterday but when i plug it in it does same as original fan , wont work same symptoms

hi again guys thanx for info so far
i got a fan in pc shop in glasgow yesterday but when i plug it in it does same as original fan , wont work same symptoms

I didn't think it was the fan myself. Bios or motherboard. You need a multimeter.

Back