Laptop fan won't work dell E6510

I didn't think it was the fan myself. Bios or motherboard. You need a multi meter info i just trying to work with what i have but your info is noted.
thanx HiTecK , im not ignoring your your multi meter info just trying to work with what i have
cheers, will multimeter tell me if its a mb. fault ?

I assume you know fan cuts it on a set temperature and does not run all the time so is there a way of knowing what temperature is laptop running.
My laptop downstairs is on and off all the time and possibly needs a good blow as must be due a cleanout.

Try using laptop longer to see what happens as i could be on 1/2 hr with a usb light on laptop screen running.

Last edited:
Intel Core i5 560M @ 2.67GHz 39 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD)) 30 °C
temp can rise to 60oc
298GB Hitachi HTS723232A7A364 SCSI Disk Device (SATA ) 26 °C
the temp. varies depending how much usage i use but im using a cooling tray at mo .

Intel Core i5 560M @ 2.67GHz 39 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD)) 30 °C
temp can rise to 60oc
298GB Hitachi HTS723232A7A364 SCSI Disk Device (SATA ) 26 °C
the temp. varies depending how much usage i use but im using a cooling tray at mo .
Put the fan in and boot it up.
It goes through a fan test at bootup then goes off, this is normal.
Once fully booted up, open YouTube or open a video file and this will use the processor which should cause the fan to fire up after a few minutes.
If it does, it's working as normal

I assume you know fan cuts it on a set temperature and does not run all the time so is there a way of knowing what temperature is laptop running.
My laptop downstairs is on and off all the time and possibly needs a good blow as must be due a cleanout.

Try using laptop longer to see what happens as i could be on 1/2 hr with a usb light on laptop screen running.
i can have laptop on all day it doesnt cut out

it cuts out if to warm

would my hibenate settings in windows cause this
Hi! I'm been faced with same issue, got a new fan but it doesn't fix the problem. I had to Run a gnd wire on my laptop make the fan run but I'm looking for a permanent fix. Where able to come up with a solution?

Hi! I'm been faced with same issue, got a new fan but it doesn't fix the problem. I had to Run a gnd wire on my laptop make the fan run but I'm looking for a permanent fix. Where able to come up with a solution?

no fix yet still the same ,ended up buying new laptop although old one still works but cant trust it keep as a spare

no fix yet still the same ,ended up buying new laptop although old one still works but cant trust it keep as a spare
Okay thank you, guess the problem lies with the motherboard. Felt I could fix it up but haven't found any solution, I would have to stick to my bypass wiring of the fan.

Okay thank you, guess the problem lies with the motherboard. Felt I could fix it up but haven't found any solution, I would have to stick to my bypass wiring of the fan.

i updated the BIOS and reset it to default but still the same
i use a cooling tray

Back