Motorised dish setup problem no signals

I may have confused you, when I say rig I mean the whole set up, ie dish and motor. Something has happened to make you lose those channels. You start off with the readings in the manual for dish and motor but when you align to 0.8w you peak the signal by adjusting elevation on motor first and you may have to move the whole rig as well to get 70% or better on al jazeera, and gospel. so when you have finished with motor and moving you can try dish BUT I very rarely get an improvement when adjusting dish. Then when you have best possible at 0.6w you are sure of dish and motor. Tighten up and check digi, c more etc. No point trying others if 0.8 is out. If you can open digi you could peak on that instead of gospel. Here is a pic of a motor fixing, note the bit in the middle that is where pole goes, you should check pole has not been tightened too much as that will cause problems as well.

I did say your installer may have compemsated for poor wall bracket by adjusting dish and motor. You could do the same until after xmas.

On usals you had messed about before putting in 2.333 etc you can do same now. And that bracket from the wall may be uneven as well but you are picking what you need to do but learning the hard way. Because of the wonky bracket it's causing you grief in that you cant use correct settings.

Yes do lnb from side like my pic but as you got most channels in the beginning its probably ok. As a matter of interest do you know how you lost the channels?

motor grooveIMG_6771.JPG

I may have confused you, when I say rig I mean the whole set up, ie dish and motor. Something has happened to make you lose those channels. You start off with the readings in the manual for dish and motor but when you align to 0.8w you peak the signal by adjusting elevation on motor first and you may have to move the whole rig as well to get 70% or better on al jazeera, and gospel. so when you have finished with motor and moving you can try dish BUT I very rarely get an improvement when adjusting dish. Then when you have best possible at 0.6w you are sure of dish and motor. Tighten up and check digi, c more etc. No point trying others if 0.8 is out. If you can open digi you could peak on that instead of gospel. Here is a pic of a motor fixing, note the bit in the middle that is where pole goes, you should check pole has not been tightened too much as that will cause problems as well.

I did say your installer may have compemsated for poor wall bracket by adjusting dish and motor. You could do the same until after xmas.

On usals you had messed about before putting in 2.333 etc you can do same now. And that bracket from the wall may be uneven as well but you are picking what you need to do but learning the hard way. Because of the wonky bracket it's causing you grief in that you cant use correct settings.

Yes do lnb from side like my pic but as you got most channels in the beginning its probably ok. As a matter of interest do you know how you lost the channels?

View attachment 57060
Oh I got it now. I will do the adjustments but I think I'm better off to get L shaped bracket after Xmas and go from there.

When I do the adjustments, do I have to adjust on the motor elevation only?

As for the back of the stub to the motor and to the dish, do I have to take the pics when my dish is on 0.8west?

The only one I found on my phone app the dead straight for my dish is on 28.2east. If you want me to take the pics on 0.8west then I'm afraid to say that it is not straight. The 0.8west is on the right side, the 28.2east is on the east but it is on the centre. If you want me to take the pics when I move my dish to 28.2east on dead centre then I will do but please be aware the motor bracket is not on straight position.

If you want me to take the pics when my dish is on 0.8west or 28.2east then please let me know.

As for the lost of channels, no I don't know how.

ha ha, I walked into my garage earlier this week and found a new small magnetic spirit levels stuck to my tool cabernet. Seems the missis got it as part of a kit that included a distance meter. When she changed jobs she did not give it back. Its got a laser level and pointer on each end. It's my new favorite toy. The cat loves it too.

Last edited:
Where would chris buy a good l bracket that would take a motor? I would rather the t&k brackets but...

Hi chris,

Just something that may help you out a little, If your box is connected to your home internet network either via wifi or cabled then if you have a smart phone such as an android phone and you are connected to the same network you can use your phone as a satellite meter. You need to find the ip address of your box by getting the network settings. Menu, setup, system, network, device set up then either lan connection or wifi depending on how your set up. Click adapter settings and it will give you your boxes ip address. Then exit out. On your mobile phone when connected to the wifi network type your boxes ip address into your browser. It will open a page and the second tab from the bottom is sat finder. This will show you your sat signal when not at the tv. Be carefull using it up a ladder.

Thanks for bmitie for the help

As for the L bracket Your best to try
Satellite Areil suppliers some will supply
To the general public Others will only
Trade with installers that have Trade card
If you can't afford a satellite meter
You could try this It has been covered on
The fourm Before

£11.73 49%OFF | Hellobox B1 Satellite Finder Support Android System Satellite Meter Bluetooth Satellite Finder Meter
US $15.25 49% OFF|Hellobox B1 Satellite Finder Support Android System Satellite Meter Bluetooth Satellite Finder Meter|Satellite TV Receiver| - AliExpress

These are the 4 nuts you loosen to move whole rig when motor indicator is at 0.8w. dont make too loose and dont try for other sats untill you have tightened everything up. 42e8c607-e100-4206-a5ac-3f7b3c116133.JPG

This thread just shows you how complex setting up a motorised system correctly can be. Many dish installers won't touch motorised and stick to fixed as A) they don't have a clue, B) they don't want the hassle of being called back out to correct problems.

Chris has been given some good advice, seems it's rather a learning curve, as already been said, get the wall mount and motor totally plumb first, on fixed dishes you can get away with it slightly out, but not on motorised, also don't go as gospel exactly on what the motor bracket and dish bracket says. Also double check your Latitude & Longitude, some years ago when setting up a system I had my east mixed up with my west, and whole sytem was off.

Point dish at due south and gently adjust on 1 west, a decent signal meter will help you, this satellite is the top of your arc, so get the optinum signal, check strongest and weakest transponders, as already said don't skew your lnb, keep it dead straigt in bracket, though you can adjust focal point. Once 1 west is spot on then try going down the arc east and west, see if you get the sats straight away using Usals, if not you can do manually, if rig is setup well you should get the majority of sats in your arc.

I've been going through with bmitie as I am getting alot of good help from him. He went through with me to check everything to make sure it have setup correctly.

I've setup the motorised dish perfectly, the dish and LNB is on dead straight, the stub is on vertical, the dish and motor elevation is in the correct settings so now I need to get the signals for 16east.

This is the signals for 0.8west:

gospel channel: 11357 H 69%
Al jazeera english: 12418 V 50%

I need to improve the signals for al jazeera so I can get the signals on 16east. The maximum s.n.r I can get for gospel is 77%. I believe that the motor elevation need to adjust it but I'm not sure about the dish elevation. If I only need to adjust the motor elevation then I won't touch the dish elevation only the motor.

I've been going through with bmitie as I am getting alot of good help from him. He went through with me to check everything to make sure it have setup correctly.

I've setup the motorised dish perfectly, the dish is on dead straight, the stub is on vertical, the dish and motor elevation is in the correct settings so now I need to get the signals for 16east.

This is the signals for 0.8west:

gospel channel: 11357 H 69%
Al jazeera english: 12418 V 50%

If you're only getting 50% on AlJaz at 1 west my guess is you have more signal to gain, it's a 80cm dish you have?

If you're only getting 50% on AlJaz at 1 west my guess is you have more signal to gain, it's a 80cm dish you have?
Yes, this is why i said I need to improve it. If I don't improve it then I won't get the signals for 16east otherwise I will get it when the Aljaz at 1 West have good signal. Yes it's a 80cm dish that I have and it should work.

Yes, this is why i said I need to improve it. If I don't improve it then I won't get the signals for 16east otherwise I will get it when the Aljaz at 1 West have good signal. Yes it's a 80cm dish that I have and it should work.

Do you have a signal meter? You just need to tweek the signal on 1 west, fine tune manually east west, and loosen dish elevation nuts and tweek till you get the best signal, then you should be setup for the rest of your arc, 16 east is weaker, previously I had a warped 110cm dish, and I could only get half of the transponders on 16e, you should be able to get some TPs with a 80cm dish though.

No, but I can use my phone to get access to openwebif to see the signals. I did it today and it works great.

OK I will adjust on dish elevation but I thought I was told I should only adjust motor elevation not the dish elevation?

No, but I can use my phone to get access to openwebif to see the signals. I did it today and it works great.

OK I will adjust on dish elevation but I thought I was told I should only adjust motor elevation not the dish elevation?

Well just tweek a tiny bit to see if your signal boosts, the dish and motor angles are not 100% exact, it's a case of trial and error.

Back