moving house broadband hell

Could someone advise me on this it's got really messy.

Bt allowed me to cancel and told me Friday I can go with whoever I want now from that day. Waived all charges. Account closes 21st may

So went with sky did it all over the internet Friday all ok. Sky phoned today and said it's been delayed because bt have put a block on my account to stop me going with anyone else and they have blocked me taking my number anywhere else I've had that number for ages. Sky we're due to take over the 27th may

So phoned bt and they said it's to stop me going with anyone else before my end date. I told them sky said they can cancel that for me and they can do a instant transfer on the 27th may. Bt trying to say it's not possible. Passed around the office.

Manager said he's cancelled the block now and I can go with sky anytime. But now there saying I owe them the year for cancelling the block?

How do I stop this happening?

I've cancelled the direct debit not sure what else I can do. I explained I've not stopped complaining on how poor there service is since I've had it but they just prolonged it so I went past my cooling off period.

Scared now that im going to have a huge bill
No isp can put a block on you moving to a different provider some operatives don't know what there talking about when it comes to isp providers easiest thing to do is ring bt back and wrangle it with them saying why am I been charged a final bill when I was told I could leave for free.
But on the other hand you put the cancellation in with bt I would've just gone to sky and had it as a take over

I went with sky as a new order. So confused I've saved emails saying that I can leave free.

Sky said the orders failed as bt have set up a new order on the line to stop me going anywhere

Bt confirmed this is what they have done

I went with sky as a new order. So confused I've saved emails saying that I can leave free.

Sky said the orders failed as bt have set up a new order on the line to stop me going anywhere

I'm not sure then bud hope you get it sorted tho

Im similiar atm mate.

As I had cancelled TT but couldnt move my line across which wanted to keep with VM until notice was cancelled which it was in the end.

So VM could move/transfer across the line to their end and said they intiated the process but still no update which is concerning me tbh.

If BT did infact remove your notice and keep the line active for another provider to take over they cant then take a uturn and stop that. They cant do that at all so will if I were you keep at it with them.

Bt just said I'll remove the block it had to be a supervisor. He did that and then said I've looked and because you have asked for this you will be charged. Because im out of cooling off period. But I've asked to cancel for weeks they said I had to keep waiting and trying things which took me over the cooling off period.

I've got all emails from Friday saying I won't be charged though so I've got proof

They started saying stay with us it won't be faster any we're else. Shocking company

Bt just said I'll remove the block it had to be a supervisor. He did that and then said I've looked and because you have asked for this you will be charged. Because im out of cooling off period. But I've asked to cancel for weeks they said I had to keep waiting and trying things which took me over the cooling off period.

I've got all emails from Friday saying I won't be charged though so I've got proof

They started saying stay with us it won't be faster any we're else. Shocking company

That is really sneaky from them trying to make you go around in circles and they bring charges into play when you want to leave.

TT said simliar to me but the guy clearly was talking out of his backside as few other TT reps I spoke to said I wouldnt be charged for removing the cancellation and leaving. So wait and see atm.

If you have the proof you have nothing to worry about. They wont be able enforce any charges at all on you.

I've told bank to refuse any payments from bt. Sky was saying they were refusing the give my old number aswell. Proper sneaky stuff putting a new order on the line so I cant go to anyone else.

Even though they said Friday phone up another provider now and order with them

I think your issue is you want to port your number, how I understand it they can keep your number for the term of the contract, but can't stop you from moving, so they are trying to use that as leverage, and, I don't think there is anything you can do about that tbh.

When I moved to virgin from BT they didn't realise my number on time. I think they do it on purpose.

Last edited:
Changing provider

While millions of people successfully switch phone and broadband provider each year, we understand that not everyone enjoys a trouble-free switching experience.

Here is some advice on what you need to do if you are having problems switching your phone or broadband.

Slamming
(being switched from your provider to another without your knowledge or consent)

If you think you have been switched to a new provider without your knowledge or consent, contact your old provider and ask that they switch your service back as soon as possible.

You should also contact the provider who has taken over your service and tell them you did not agree to the switch.

Explain the situation and ask them to investigate this for you.

If this does not resolve your problem, follow the steps under ‘Problems changing broadband provider’.

Attempted slamming
If you think someone is attempting to switch you to a new provider without your knowledge or consent, ask your current provider to cancel the order.

This should be possible up to 24 hours before the switch is due to take place. You should also tell the provider who is trying to take over your service that you wish to cancel.

If this does not resolve your problem, follow the steps under ‘Problems changing broadband provider’.

Tell Ofcom
You play a vital role in helping us tackle slamming.

Although we can't investigate individual cases, your complaints about slamming or mis-selling can lead to us launching investigations and ultimately to us taking action.

Complain to Ofcom

Problems changing broadband provider
Ofcom wants everyone to be confident that they can switch their broadband provider without unnecessary fuss.

When switching broadband providers, your new provider will be able to give you accurate information and advice on the steps you will need to take. All providers are required to do this.

For help with your individual complaint, follow these steps.

Contact your provider’s customer services team and explain your problem.
If this doesn’t resolve the issue, make a formal complaint to the company. You should find details of how to do this on the back of your bill, on their website or ask their customer services.
If your provider is unable to resolve your complaint, ask for a deadlock letter. This will allow you to take your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.
ADR schemes act as an independent middleman. They will examine the case from both sides and reach a decision they think fair. If eight weeks have passed since you first formally complained you can contact the ADR scheme directly.

There are two ADR schemes: Ombudsman Services: Communications, and the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS). Every service provider must belong to one of the schemes. Your provider will tell you which scheme it is a member of, or you can use our ADR checker.

If you are still unable to resolve the problem, complain to Ofcom.
Although we can’t investigate individual cases, your complaints can lead to us launching investigations and ultimately to us taking action.
Automatic compensation
From 1 April 2019, broadband and home phone customers will receive compensation from their service provider for delayed repairs, missed engineer appointments and delays with the start of a new service.

For more information on automatic compensation, see our guide.

Text to switch
You can now leave your mobile network by sending a simple, free text message, under new Ofcom rules.

Previously if you wanted to switch mobile network and keep your phone number, you usually needed to call your provider to ask for your porting authorisation code (PAC). This is the number you need to give to a new provider for the switching process to take place.

However, when calling their provider, customers were often frustrated by their unwanted attempts to persuade them to stay.

Our new ‘text-to-switch’ process makes it quicker and easier to leave your mobile company, by giving you more control over how much contact you have with your existing provider.

Read our guide to find out more.

Refused number porting
Phone providers must allow you to take their telephone number with you to a new provider when you switch. This is known as ‘number porting’.

If you think your provider is preventing or delaying you from porting your number, contact your new provider.

You may be asked to give them an Ofcom complaint reference number to start a short investigation. You can get this number by submitting a complaint via the Ofcom website.

An independent industry panel will then assess your case, and can override your old provider to complete the porting of your number.

Compensation
Phone providers must offer compensation if they block or delay you from porting your number when switching.

They must also explain clearly how you can claim this compensation. Ask your provider for details.

From 15 February 2020, broadband, phone and pay-TV customers must be told about their provider’s best deals when their initial contract is coming to an end, and every year after that if they remain out of contract.

For more information on these notifications,

Changing provider

I think your issue is you want to port your number, how I understand it they can keep your number for the term of the contract, but can't stop you from moving, so they are trying to use that as leverage, and, I don't think there is anything you can do about that tbh.
It's more likely to be that a cancellation order was placed to stop his services. If the number is part of a cease order it can't be transferred out.

The person he spoke to who said he'd put a stop on the block is probably cancelling the cancellation order so that a working line takeover can be done which will then allow the number to be kept.

Either way it sounds like it should have been explained and dealt with in a better way!

It's more likely to be that a cancellation order was placed to stop his services. If the number is part of a cease order it can't be transferred out.

The person he spoke to who said he'd put a stop on the block is probably cancelling the cancellation order so that a working line takeover can be done which will then allow the number to be kept.

Either way it sounds like it should have been explained and dealt with in a better way!

Yep 100% spot on there and how it works.

Wasn't told this by the sneaky first rep.

Thought something was fishy so rang back and different rep explained what you stated.

Some reps purposely don't explain the procedure correctly just so you don't leave.

Are you changing BB provider?

Im assuming that question is aimed at me?

No I am not I just want to get rid of TT and them robbing us blind. I am trying to get everything with VM which in turn is not really willing to budge.

But things seem to be heading in the right direction with VM so lets see. I need to make sure extra charges are not imposed by TT which I fear it may well be.

Im assuming that question is aimed at me?

No I am not I just want to get rid of TT and them robbing us blind. I am trying to get everything with VM which in turn is not really willing to budge.

But things seem to be heading in the right direction with VM so lets see. I need to make sure extra charges are not imposed by TT which I fear it may well be.
May seem like there robbing you but when you look at it you have 2 seperate providers so price is going to be more trust me I've been there and had it with bt and sly

May seem like there robbing you but when you look at it you have 2 seperate providers so price is going to be more trust me I've been there and had it with bt and sly

Ye I get that but I am trying to get it so less burden for my bro who has the contracts. He dont give a toss but I do.

I never wanted TT or landline with them but when you have stubborn people in the house nothing can be done. But this time enough was enough and was last chance to leave them with price increase they had and I am now close to fully leaving TT.

I just hope VM is a bit fairer with anytime calls package if have landline with them.

Ye I get that but I am trying to get it so less burden for my bro who has the contracts. He dont give a toss but I do.

I never wanted TT or landline with them but when you have stubborn people in the house nothing can be done. But this time enough was enough and was last chance to leave them with price increase they had and I am now close to fully leaving TT.

I just hope VM is a bit fairer with anytime calls package if have landline with them.
500 meg speeds and anytime talk is cheaper with TT it is around £44 a month if you can get it.

500 meg speeds and anytime talk is cheaper with TT it is around £44 a month if you can get it.

Didnt know they do such speeds and if they do its certainly not available to most of the UK.

In my area max I can get with them is 65mb or 72mb somewhere in that range.

I dont need 350mb or 500mb speeds tbh. Its silly speeds and not something I need.

Wouldnt ever reccomend TT even if they are prices for certain services maybe "cheaper" than other providers. Plus there CS has to be the worst I have encountered. Rude and disrespectful people.

I am currently talking to VM and hope to get it all finalised this week see if they can give me 200mb and any time calls for under £30.

Didnt know they do such speeds and if they do its certainly not available to most of the UK.

In my area max I can get with them is 65mb or 72mb somewhere in that range.

I dont need 350mb or 500mb speeds tbh. Its silly speeds and not something I need.

Wouldnt ever reccomend TT even if they are prices for certain services maybe "cheaper" than other providers. Plus there CS has to be the worst I have encountered. Rude and disrespectful people.

I am currently talking to VM and hope to get it all finalised this week see if they can give me 200mb and any time calls for under £30.
I get off VM
200 meg
Basic TV
Free call weekends
SIM unlimited mintues, texts and 5 gig of data £35.00 a month.

Just noticed with TT data cap 150 gig

Back