Network setup

Timbro

Help needed, I have a mag322, when I start it up I get Waiting for network setup. It the counts down to the network failure page. I have done a factory reset but still the same problem.

Hi Everyone,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place! I have a zGemma h2s running Wooshbuild via openATV and when I look at the network settings I am seeing the IP address is different to Primary DNS.
Please see the 2 photos attached. I think this might somehow be related to me havinga WIFI extender in use in this room and this needing to be reset but please can anyone think of another reason? (Until recently - before our internet went down last week - the box was linked to a different IP address altogether).

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• Primary DNS different to IP address on zGeamma w Wooshbuild.JPG
    Primary DNS different to IP address on zGeamma w Wooshbuild.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 15
  • IP address different to Primary DNS on zGeamma w Wooshbuild.JPG
    IP address different to Primary DNS on zGeamma w Wooshbuild.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 12
Hi everyone, there's no need to answer the above thing I posted 2 days ago - I managed to get both the box IP address and the Primary DNS shown back matching each other by simply restarting my WIFI network and rebooting the zGemma box. All seems ok for the moment but I noticed the IP / primary DNS went back to the address it was before this issue happened, so it's a bit of a pain with it changing sometimes.

Does anyone know how to stop the IP address from changing? And if I do this, is there anything negative about fixing the IP of the box?

Thanks

The IP address and Primary DNS should be different, they are two completely different things.

If you really wanted to keep the IP address of your box the same at all times you would need to turn off DHCP and manually assign an IP.

Hi Delboy,

Sorry I know what you mean about how they are meant to differ - I was getting confused because what I could see at the time I posted that question above was completely wrong (you can see in the photos I attached that they both ended with 3 numbers and this was a first! So it made no sense to me. After I restarted my WIFI network and rebooted the zGemma box (at the same time), the primary DNS went back to normal (i.e. the same IP of the wireless router) and the box IP address also went back to what it was before.

I guess these kind of issues only happen when the internet goes down (which luckily for me, happens only quite rarely).

Out of interest, could there be any benefit in turning off DHCP and manually assigning a static IP?

Not really. Unless you have things mapped such as NAS drives, connecting to other boxes or accessing remotely then there is no reason not to just leave it set to DHCP.

Unless you are constantly unplugging box and router you should find the IP stays the same anyway.

I see. Well I have two zGemma h2s boxes and I like to have both connected to each other and to my PC / network (so I can watch recorded TV shows on my laptop). I also have box that I had the issue with connected to a WIFI extender so that might have gone down at some point too (it's in the bedroom).

On the flip side, can you think of any bad points of me turning off DHCP and manually assigning a static IP? (To one or both boxes).

If not, I'll probably do this on the box in the bedroom to see if it helps but can I literally choose any IP address I like, as long as it's in the same format as how it is today? And I guess it's only the last 2 digits I could change?

Back