Reception issues using CWAITE list

I have just moved into a new rental way up north in Scotland and the house has no DTV antenna, but has a minidish from the owner's sly subscription - important - he had sly working.

I bought an openbox (cheap one to make sure it would do what I wanted before I invest any real money in - but following the guide it does appear to be genuine?) and have a couple of issues.

I downloaded the sat/TPS list from CWAITEs but don't get any signal on freesat channels (signal 45% and quality 10%).

I can scan the 28.2 sat (added by TPS) and pick up a lot of non-freesat channels (like the jebus channels and sales etc) and can pick up scrambled sly channels, but can't pick up any freesat at all.

I've had a look at dish alignment and as far as I can tell without a tester it is pointing in the right direction and has what looks to be the right skew for my location.

I've tried a test cline and can only get a few scrambled channels to unlock so I'm not sure if I can get all the sly channels - I'm trying to get a few more test lines from different supps but no love yet.

Any tips or pointers what I should be looking at? I'd be happy enough with just the freesat channels to start with, but it looks like i won't be needing a telly licence at this rate..

If the last tenant had sky in I would check your lnb cables and re strip them back i have this problem a couple of times and I found stripping the cable back and re doing the lnbs generally worked for me

Have you checked the cabling and connectors coming from the lnb etc also can you reach the dish to move it slightly with a brush handle or something out a window if nearby to see if the signal intensifies the dish could have moved slightly with the storms the country has had over the last couple of months etc :(y):

If the last tenant had sky in I would check your lnb cables and re strip them back i have this problem a couple of times and I found stripping the cable back and re doing the lnbs generally worked for me

So I had a quick look at the connections - i have these terminals https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/product/ppc-compression-f-type-connectors/PG4384/798591
Are they reusable? i don't have any crimping tools any more but I can make do with the tools I have, otherwise I'll have to buy a couple more connectors before I can reterminate.

Yeah they good quality connectors but dont think they can be reused once they crimped on ive never seen a tool to remove compression fittings but i may be wrong does the cabling look really old and can you see where it goes through brickwork etc to check for rubbing etc

I'm surprised he got a signal with that dish tbh and a couple of mm out of alignment on the dish is miles out of alignment by the time you extrapolate that up into the atmosphere. Dish might need an alignment check but I'd double check the connectors first.

As stated don't know if the connectors can be re-used as crimped have you tried moving the dish slightly there is something you can use on your phone which uses camera for alignment but aint got a clue what it's called

Yeah they good quality connectors but dont think they can be reused once they crimped on ive never seen a tool to remove compression fittings but i may be wrong does the cabling look really old and can you see where it goes through brickwork etc to check for rubbing etc

It is visible where it goes through the bricks but I will have to wait for the weather to calm down a little. Its blowing a gale at the moment.

The cable is in generally good condition but I haven't done an inspection per se, just a look over.

I might have the larger dish - it is the same as everyone else's in town (theres plenty around). I know you need to target a satelite 35000km away but does the alignment need to be millimetre accurate? the satellite is sending a spread signal over 1000km wide, and its; a parabolic dish, so surely it would get a reasonable signal?

Yeah if it was working on a sly box before then would definatly say alignment issue or lnb and cable problems etc the dish will have to be bang on alignment due to your location and such a small dish being used etc

Shame your not friendly with anyone local with a dish to plug your box in to test the box this would rule out a problem with the box tuner and you could see what signal levels are on a different dish etc but dont think its your box but you just never know :(y):

i would imagine if he got sky that their dish would have worked,do they use bigger ones? my thinking its out of alignment with 45%

Like i said earlier try and gain access to the dish and move it slightly with whatever you need to reach if possible and see if your signal intensifies or not i used washing line prop when i didnt have ladders lol but this depends how high up your dish is ok :(y):

Like i said earlier try and gain access to the dish and move it slightly with whatever you need to reach if possible and see if your signal intensifies or not i used washing line prop when i didnt have ladders lol but this depends how high up your dish is ok :(y):
Weve all been there and done that lol I once did it with a spade big mistake that's before I knew what I know now

Yeah its the only thing i could find to reach at sons house because ladders were at my house so had to improvise a little bit did the trick :(y):

Back