System Low on Virtual Memory

just kept at it dan, needs to clip in, it will make a noise like a click. put all the leeds back in it started a treat.G`s info on the RAM last night works a treat. way faster.

i havent yet dan, as it was 9pm wen i got it started again. so looking m8, ebay, amazon.

STUPID question will the more cash i spend on the 1 gig be better, or keep it to a mid range as i don`t download or owt. lol

not really dee its up to you want to spend my advice is find your local pc shop and ask what he will chard you for the ram

My uncle has 512 mb ram, ive noticed that Windows loads faster for him than my laptop does, i only have 256mb ram. The time after logging onto windows is greatly reduced compared to both of our laptops, and their isnt much difference between the processors either. Since you dont download alot 512mb will be alright, but just think ahead :), what if things change later and you require more ram. its good to have as much as you can, might come in handy later. ;)

as im no pc expert had, il just keep it simple m8. :)

1gig of amazon starts at £12

The main reasons id want to upgrade RAM is so i can use the PC more efficiently when i have a few programs open at once, and so i can change my antivirus from a standalone to a total security solution like BitDefender. Might buy it off ebay, but will have to be careful of fake RAM Sticks.

look at amazon dan, il let you no as il have a look at pc world in the morning. all i wont is a faster re-sponce,

Be careful dee when you are ordering ram,Specify that you will need "184 pin" ram - this is for older motherboards.
The more common ram nowadays is "240 pin" ram. (or 200 pin in laptops)
i don`t think i ever came across 1gig sticks, biggest i recall is 512mb
I did a search on amazon for your ram,but because it was the older version you need there was none there,But i did find 2x512mb second hand on fleabay,
second hand ram is no different to new ram as most ram will last a lifetime.
The link is below hope it helps

eBay.ie: 2 x 512MB DDR 333MHz PC2700 SAMSUNG M368L6423ETN-CB3 (item 320410925367 end time 09-Sep-09 22:47:40 BST)

Last edited:
sorry dee ignore the last post 1 gig ram available pc2700 is available on amazon and it is 184 pin,
Sorry for the mis information,

now do i go for a cheaper option from amazon, they range between £22, £40, also do i get 1, or 2 of them. or is 2 being greedy.

now do i go for a cheaper option from amazon, they range between £22, £40, also do i get 1, or 2 of them. or is 2 being greedy.

OK dee, so you have 2 memory slots in total on your Desktop & one of them has a 256 stick.

If you do buy one new stick of RAM, you can get an even better result if you place the new(1GB) stick into the first slot (currently populated by your 256MB stick) nearest the processor by removing you existing(256) stick & moving it to slot 2 (currently the empty slot).

The way a computer reads memory is this,

It will read the stick nearest the processor first & if more is required to carry out a particular process it will call from banks 2, 3 & so on. If you have the higher value stick in the first it is more likely to be able to process without having to call in bank 2 & 3 unless you are doing something really demanding. That in itself will add to your performance improvement.

So if you were to buy one new 1GB stick you would put it were your existing stick is & put you existing 256 stick into the currently empty slot to maximize performance.

If you decide to buy two new 1GB sticks? the order won't matter because you will be using two sticks of the same value in both slots.

While running XP, a 1GB plus a 256MB of RAM is quite good & would more than likely be good enough for your needs.

However, you can never have too much memory, so the more the merrier. Either way, if you go from 256 to either 1256 or 2GB the difference is going to be fantastic.

-

cheers G il order one then thanx for all the help, im sure il have a few more questions in the future.(y)

Good luck Dee,remember to strap on your safety belt for your new speeds! LOL

Also thanks Gman for a very well described post on how the cpu calls on resources from ram

Back