Updating smart TV software

Hi
First time in this area of Techkings, hope I'm in the right place.

I have an old but hardly used Panasonic TX-L42 TV with a hard-wired connection to my router.
The Panasonic Viera software is badly outdated. Some of the apps no longer exist, and others like BBC iplayer work for a few minutes and then freeze, in fact Netflix is the only app that works OK.

Last night I tried to log into my Google account to try and at least update the Google browser and Gmail, but It only allows me to enter my username. but then it freezes and puts up an error message before I can enter the password. The inbuilt software updater tell me that it's all up to date....

So my question is, is there anyway of updating the software and adding more apps like ITV player etc. Thanks in anticipation

Last edited:
My Viera never updated as it uses Saorview tuner only.

Does cache need to be reset in yours as remember Q102 would not work in my Sony and it fixed the issue.

My Viera never updated as it uses Saorview tuner only.

Does cache need to be reset in yours as remember Q102 would not work in my Sony and it fixed the issue.
Thanks for your reply. I am not an expert but I would have thought that updates are done over the Internet. Is Saorview not the ROI version of Freeview/Freesat? Have no idea how to clear the cache on the TV if anyone knows please share

Yes Saorview is Ireland but dont have lan as its dumb.
Possibly google your model for help in fixing freezing issues,same goes for the old kodi boxes.

Apps might need updating to work.

Found this.

How do you reset apps on a Panasonic TV?
Press Menu on the remote. Press the "arrow down" and "arrow up" to select Setup then OK. Press the "arrow down" and "arrow up" to select System then OK. Press the "arrow down" and "arrow up" to select Factory Default then OK.

Last edited:
"Apps might need updating to work"
Aye its how to do it is the problem, given that I can't even login to Google from the TV. I reckon that the Google browser itself is outdated, but many thanks for your help and suggestions. I was surprised that there were no other replies other than yours on the Forum. Might repost in a few days

Maybe you need to update the firmware for
The apps to work correctly I had old samsung t.v which needed the firmware updated Took the model number from the t.v Went on the Samsung website download
Section Downloaded the file unzipped transfered to formated to 32 u.s.b stick
Inserted into the u.s.b port rear of T.v followed online instructions All apps are now working fine Not sure if Panasonic
Works the same firmware process

I added to previous post of what google says, Used laptop.
I'll certainly give that a go. Thanks again

Maybe you need to update the firmware for
The apps to work correctly I had old samsung t.v which needed the firmware updated Took the model number from the t.v Went on the Samsung website download
Section Downloaded the file unzipped transfered to formated to 32 u.s.b stick
Inserted into the u.s.b port rear of T.v followed online instructions All apps are now working fine Not sure if Panasonic
Works the same firmware process
I'll certainly give that a go. Thanks again

Well tried that today , in theory there is a similar process for updating Panasonic TV, but when I tried it seems the the last software/firmware release for my model (TX L42E6B) is dated Nov 2014 and thats the version thats installed on my box. Really poor Panasonic!!
Thanks for your interest anyway

I added to previous post of what google says, Used laptop.
Well tried that today , in theory there is a similar process for updating Panasonic TV, but when I tried it seems the the last software/firmware release for my model (TX L42E6B) is dated Nov 2014 and thats the version thats installed on my box. Really poor Panasonic!!
Thanks for your interest anyway

Im sure this is a silly follow-on question but is it possible to dump Panasonics Viera software and load an android system instead, In the same way you could dump Windows and install Linux on a PC ???

Im sure this is a silly follow-on question but is it possible to dump Panasonics Viera software and load an android system instead, In the same way you could dump Windows and install Linux on a PC ???
I would say no,
I'd imagine it is closed source
although, with the right knowhow and time, anything would be possible,
but viable,? seriously doubt it

Don’t think companies care to much about supporting older TVs with software updates the industry is evolving too quickly and they would rather people spend more ££££s to buy the latest all singing all dancing models even when there is nothing wrong with the older TV.

Don’t think companies care to much about supporting older TVs with software updates the industry is evolving too quickly and they would rather people spend more ££££s to buy the latest all singing all dancing models even when there is nothing wrong with the older TV.

Where it is with modern technology unfortunately.

Alot fall for such new gimmicks that come out even when what they have suffice.

Back