PS3 Jail break hack guide and software

Ill second that, you can also get an external hard drive to connect to the PS3 to save all those games to the hard drive.
Wont take long for the PS3's hard drive to fill. Of course it wont be long before the newer games come equipped with the update built in so you wont have any option but to update or else not play online, unless they have a workaround for this already, i dont think they do though.

so is it just a game iso you dump to external hd and will any external hd plug into ps3 any links for the games much appreciated if its allowed:) i got to check what firmware on my ps3 i aint played it for ages xbox 360 fan myself thought that could now change lol and do you have to have usb stick in all time when playing backups?

so is it just a game iso you dump to external hd and will any external hd plug into ps3 any links for the games much appreciated if its allowed:) i got to check what firmware on my ps3 i aint played it for ages xbox 360 fan myself thought that could now change lol and do you have to have usb stick in all time when playing backups?

I don't have mine done yet, so i can't tell you if you just dump an ISO on and play; but i think that is the case. I've been seeing some downloads, in fact i think Dan-Ger-Ous has some posted in the downloads area here at TK. I do know the hack allows for copying the game to your HDD.

Also, not sure if the USB stick has to remain inserted or not. When i get a hold of mine and get it hacked...um...i mean modded, i'll have more information to share.

Been holding of on this until i tested a bit,i got myself one of the minimus avr boards and programed it with psgroove,i have backup manager 1.1,first off i have one of the first launch day ps3 with the measly 60gb harddrive,that will not cut it,i swapped it over for a 250gb 2.5hdd 5400rpm,i backed up i think its eleven of my games to it and its full,needless to say a 500gb is on its way,a externall hdd will have to be formatted to fat32 for the ps3 to read it so you will have problems with a lot of ps3 games as they are nearly all well over 4gb in size,there is a new method on the horizon which seems promising it splits the files onto the external but re assembles them on the internal,Ntfs support is going to be like the holy grail

Between your friends and renting im sure its cheaper,i for one am trying to get away from discs,the laser in the ps3 is not the best for a long life

Between your friends and renting im sure its cheaper,i for one am trying to get away from discs,the laser in the ps3 is not the best for a long life

true, best to play the games off the HDD. I dont trust discs, plus it will cost more as well investing in the discs etc

Sinno have you tried EXFat on the hdd? The limitations break the 4 gig limit. Im sure you probably would have heard if it did work or not but sure its worth a shot!

Yea axxxo,the playstation files can get upto 20 0r 30gb in some cases,they do not return in process or sync to be playable of the hdd,thats why they work on the internal,there is another way by opening up the game and taking out the parsc file which is a compression sony have been using for the games to get them to work on the external but game compatibility is not great,its early days at the moment,things are looking good thou,this nut has only begun to be cracked

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Kakaroto has got psfreedom to port to firmware 3.01
Code:
http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/

is there anyway the PS3 can get fried if you jailbreak it incorrectly?

or is it 100% straightforward no problems at all?

the mod is a softmod as in it is done without opening up the machine,all these mods have dangers and there are no garantees,you do this at your own risk

the mod is a softmod as in it is done without opening up the machine,all these mods have dangers and there are no garantees,you do this at your own risk

so best to buy a 2nd hand ps3 console and try it on that???

right i finally got my brother to check the firmware on his ps3... its version 3.21 so i guess it is available to jailbreak as long as i dont upgrade?

btw, the backup bit, is it 100% necessary to back it up if you only have saved data from the games played on there?

My firmware is 3.41 and i downloaded the jailbreak but i cant get "backup manager" to work... any ideas?

My firmware is 3.41 and i downloaded the jailbreak but i cant get "backup manager" to work... any ideas?

you can play games though cant you without the backup manager???

what does it say when you try running backup manager, any error messages??

you can play games though cant you without the backup manager???

what does it say when you try running backup manager, any error messages??

The story is i have my PS3 for two years now and it broke.... I think its the laser reader because it wont even read any game i insert into it... so i decided to jailbreak it so i can play games.

I downloaded the jailbreak in this tread but it said i needed the backup manager too... so i clicked on the link and the download but it didn't work...it said something like "windows does not recognise this" (something along them lines). Then i noticed in the jailbreak folder however, it has a folder that says "backup manger". I went into that and it has a file which is titled "manager.pkg"

I copied it to my external hard drive which is formatted to FAT32. I followed the steps and nothing happens. When im at the "game" menu "install package files" does not show.

Any ideas?:dunno:

6. On main system menu go to "Game", then "Install Package Files", and click to install Backup Manager.

i cant find the Install Package Files under Game

Back