Covid-19 the second wave

His view, I think, is that the economy should be started again at all costs and that anyone who voices concerns about their particular industry is workshy and using fears as an excuse as he seems to have decided everyone is off work being paid.

I don't know what his perspective is on the whole thing - whether he's a parent who wants to get his children back into education so they don't miss out on their learning, or a business owner who wants to get consumers back, but he does seem completely over obsessed.
Supermarket workers encounter 200-300 different adult and kids every day. I've never seen any if them wearing ppe.
Teachers work with the same 20 kids each day although you won't understand or respond to this point.

I'm old enough to remember when we had 5m unemployed and it took the country 15 years to recover, this pandemic will leave 15m unemployed - when there's mass unemployment wages and house prices go down. Crime goes up, burglaries are very common, taxes and prices skyrocket as does social unrest. We've been in lockdown less than 2 months and it's cost 300bn and you casually say leave it til September? - we're looking at 10-15 years of severe recession and unemployment if it ends today. The kids going back to school now may be 30 before they get a job paying a proper wage - that 300bn has to be paid back and you just want to wait 4 more months because one kid has died from 100 kids affected by a condition that may have nothing to do with covid, one from 10m kids? - it seems to me that you just want the government to fail so that labour or some other minority political party gains power, your wasting your time with that one

Supermarket workers encounter 200-300 different adult and kids every day. I've never seen any if them wearing ppe.
Teachers work with the same 20 kids each day although you won't understand or respond to this point.

Supermarket workers don't wipe customers noses like primary school teachers have to do for their pupils, although you won't understand this point because you don't understand children.

Whatever what decisions are made regarding schools! The pandemic will die out, and afraid so will some of the so called responsible public!
The economy will always be the important factor.
As soon as some restrictions are lifted everybody wants a party!
I think as an old git I will carry on shielding till I think it's safe!

well, it doesn't happen often but I do agree alot with some of what @pabloescaban has said.

1. People think this is all about the economy, without an economy how are those being furloughed going to get money to LIVE on? how are those too sick to work going to get their benefits? how are the elderly going to get a pension? All of those that don't work for whatever reason will not get a penny as the county wont have money to pay them.

2. If we're kept on a lockdown as many here are suggesting, we will see far more mental illness cases which could well lead to deaths. My 78 year old mother only last week saw one of her neighbours jump from the top of the multistory car park next to her block of flats. No one knows if lockdown was the cause but if you already have issues being sat in doors on your own due to the lockdown aint helping. That event not only had an effect on the person but also those residents, like my mother, that saw it. What about those in a volotile relationship who can't escape it because they are not allowed out.

3. all through this lockdown there are many people that have had to carry on going to work, not just the NHS and care workers, shop staff, cleaners, bus and lorry drivers, a lot of manufacturing workers. They all have to risk their lives while those earning much more can sit in their gardens getting paid 80% of their salary doing sweet fanny adams. Now some of them are being asked to return to work there is uproar.

4. dont get me started on care homes, the majority are private and the rest are local authority all charging astronomical amounts for their services. Yet the media make out it is Borris who is responsible for getting them the PPE, if I am able to get face masks and hand sanitizer from china within 2 weeks why can't the owners of these care homes, be it the rich home owner or local authority. It is THEIR responsibility to ensure THEIR staff have PPE.

5. As for schools reopening, as I said above other people have had to continue to work, why not teachers? My kids have all gone through schoolnow so it's not a decision I have to make but I think I would be sending them back when the schools open,. MANY parents will have no choice because they can't use childcare at the moment so need their kids to return to school so they can return to work to pay the bills. Others will decide to send their kids to school because they think the risk is low and the kids will benefit from being back in a school (albeit different from before), others will decide not to send their kids. Whichever decision they make it is their decision and no one else has the right to say they are right or wrong.

We have to remember, not everyone is in a position to survive on their savings,nor be entitled to be furloughed and NEED TO WORK to be able to pay their bills.

Supermarket workers don't wipe customers noses like primary school teachers have to do for their pupils, although you won't understand this point because you don't understand children.
They have these new inventions now called disposable gloves, you may have seen them on TV.
Only a simpleton would think that teachers would go around wiping snotty noses without them, and besides that, they have phones in schools these days so they ring the parents and say,"can you pick up your child as he's unwell and shouldn't be in school, he's leaving a trail like a slug" it's all very straightforward.
In Aldi. , Lidl., asda and all the others, the cashiers touch about 3 or 4 hundred customers hands every day, taking money and giving change, also touching every item on the belt that has been handled by every customer.
And you are trying to suggest that one kid with the virus will kill everyone in school
I've never seen any of them supermarkets cashiers wearing gloves

You think it's too risky for ten million kids to go back to school until September.
By which time the country will have debt of one trillion pounds.
The kids staying away will live in poverty for the next sixty years as a result.
You are suggesting it's not safe for them to go back

There are many people saying that lockdown should not be lifted until there is a vaccine or the virus is eliminated. There is no vaccine for the HIV virus and in the 1980's it was almost 100% fatal yet I don't remember anyone mandating a ban on unprotected sex, it was recommended but never mandated. How many people consider the reward worth the risk?

It's a similar position with Covid, risk v reward. if you contract the virus, the risk of death is about the same as the risk of getting serious complications from elective surgery. If you take some precautions (like social distancing), then work is reasonably safe.

You think it's too risky for ten million kids to go back to school until September.
By which time the country will have debt of one trillion pounds.
The kids staying away will live in poverty for the next sixty years as a result.
You are suggesting it's not safe for them to go back

I'll give you my view in simple terms

The govt say it is still important to maintain social distancing

The teachers say they cannot have children back at school on the terms the govt have suggested just yet, and maintain social distancing

I therefore think that it is unwise to send children back to school just yet

Waste another 600bn, that's all

I also said childcare provision can be given to parents of children who go back to work, the same as it has for children of key workers.

You don't have children, do you? And you base most of your argument on your vast life experience of things you've seen in the supermarket.

Somebody will have to make the decision when they go back, I hope that it is on scientific and medical advice and not monetary!

I'll give you my view in simple terms

The govt say it is still important to maintain social distancing

The teachers say they cannot have children back at school on the terms the govt have suggested just yet, and maintain social distancing

I therefore think that it is unwise to send children back to school just yet
Teachers (well the unions) said it couldn't be done before they even had time to think about how it could be done. So are they not at good at organising kids as teachers are in other countries where it has been clearly demonstrated how the kids in their schools are social distancing?

How many reports has there been on TV about kids who have remained at school dying of the virus? very few and their parents are still our working. Now they need to adapt to take another 2 year classes but keeping to same social distancing procedures.

They can adapt, plan and prepare for a September return much easier than June 1st.
and in the mean time the kids lose out on 6+ months of education. Other countries didn't need months of notice why is it ours do?

There are thousands of work places/offices that need to organise for self distancing etc, do you think they are all going to say give us another 3 months to sort out.

There are thousands of work places/offices that need to organise for self distancing etc, do you think they are all going to say give us another 3 months to sort out.

Yes, I think the Government have very generously extended furlough to ensure employers have sufficient time to make their workplaces what they're calling "Covid-19 Safe."

Don't you think teachers deserve the same protection in their workplace?

Last edited:
Yes, I think the Government have very generously extended furlough to ensure employers have sufficient time to make their workplaces what they're calling "Covid-19 Safe."

Don't you think teachers deserve the same protection in their workplace?
No the government have extended furlough so the employers that can't have their staff back because social distancing is not possible, ie the hospitality sector for one don't lay off their staff. NOT so employers can drag their feet and take 5 months to get their house in order. There is a difference.

No the government have extended furlough so the employers that can't have their staff back because social distancing is not possible, ie the hospitality sector for one don't lay off their staff.

This is exactly the case in some schools. Social distancing is not physically possible.

Back