Dark Motor for my 95 cm dish

The only scale markings i ever go by is on the motor elevation or latitude. Set that according to your coordinates from dish pointer.

The dish declination given to you in the motors table use it only as a starting point dont trust it as gospel.

With the above 2 set and usuals setup for your location in the receiver make sure the dish is mounted 100% central on the motors stub there should be a mark or a central casting line and send the motor to 0.8 west.

Now turn the whole rig around the motors clamping point left to right to maximise signal. I use a app on my phone these days since my meter broke called signalmeter available on the app store.

After you max the signal left to right around the motors mount move on to dish declination.

Loosen the dish elevation declination bolts and move the dish up and down slightly to max the signal.

Every time you tighten the nuts either on the motor or dish keep an eye on the signal strength to make sure the maximum signal you had does not weaken. On the four motor nuts tighten each one in a diagonal sequence one turn at a time to keep the pressure applied to each equal.

Every bit of the dish setting information has been said time and time again on this thread you need to let it sink in and dont adlib when your up the ladder stick to it.

If you miss any or the above steps you are going to struggle.

Its a Motech sg2100q motor, and it has table that tells you the exact settings for elevation of the motor and the dish. In fact the motech has elevation on one side and latitude on the other. Its done in steps of 1 %. And with dishpointer you can drag the green marker to exactly where your dish is located and it will equal google maps. The reason one adjusts the elevation on the motor and dish is not because the settings given on dishpointer are wrong but markings on dish and motor are not accurate enough.

I would like to see a few photos showing the elevation on dish and elevation on motor. And bear in mind that tuner in the zgemma may be poor. And are you sure the rig is dead straight? When on 0.8w and on gospel rock rig back and forth and watch signal if it goes up rig is off.

NB you can tweak the dish using USALS just change the settings, say its 009.990w and 53.778 north you can put in 009. 590 and 53.220 and this also tells you if rig is crooked. And so on.

You can nudge rig/dish by going to positioner, then fine movement, then in opeantv you use colour buttons. Don't mess with other settings until you are sorted. NB these are only a guide and you cant save them.
Good evening thanks for your reply, today weather was better and was able to make final adjustments.
I got South then moved to 0.8 west and looked for Gospel and Aljazera and now am pleased to say I have better signal than i did before and better than before last motor died on me.
will tune in further satellites this weekend and see what I get, I am lucky rnough that woody is sending me a more reliable box than the Zgemma I have, so will keep you all updated on process of eventually changing from Zgemma to newer box.
Thank you all for you well thought and very helpful advice but I think I have got it all sorted for now anyway.
I will post photos on here during the weekend
Many Thanks
Carmine

When you tighten the bolts you pull the rig back towards the pole so you can put elevation out, just adjust either dish or motor elevation and you may even have to twist rig, it takes practice.
Ok, so my motor latitude is set between 51 and 52.

I lose signal when tightening up as the motor is straightening up.

If I change the motor latitude to anything between 49-52 and I get a better signal, will it still track the arc?

Ok, so my motor latitude is set between 51 and 52.

I lose signal when tightening up as the motor is straightening up.

If I change the motor latitude to anything between 49-52 and I get a better signal, will it still track the arc?
It should do, suck it and see . You have nothing to lose and can revert if it wont.(y)

To me that says something else is out dish declination possibly or pole it mounted to is not plumb.

What is your actual latitude ?

If your signal is not peaked at 0.8west
Readjust the declination angle setting on the dish very slightly and repeat the whole process
until the signal level is peaked for all satellites
The adjustments are all interdependent

Attachments

• 16627583075346564767394224952121.jpg
    16627583075346564767394224952121.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Just an update to all you lovely people that helped me with re setting my new motor and dish for my motorized set up, up and until today I was getting all satellites i needed from 42 east to 30 west but just went to move dish with remote through my Zgemma and Suprise Suprise it now doesn't move from 0.8 west to any satellites on east but does move to westerly sats so guessing Zgemma needs to go asap as motor is new.

I forgot to mention dish only moves westerly not east must be zgemma prob

Last edited:
My old zgemma h2h, then a h5 both moved my dish ok, but I only use 1w, 13e, 16e, and 19e, I have 28e from an ordinary sat dish, I dont use the zgemmas any longer, but they can drive a motor, but I have seen others on here having trouble with them, for me it could have been because I wasnt moving the dish that far.

I used a zgemma H1 for years with no issues,I think you need the power brick type of power supply with 3 amps or more,I thought woody had sorted a box for you?

From the start of your motor issues i suspected the Zgemma.

I guess with the motor been new it is the only other option providing the coax and f connectors are sound.
Yes that's right, but at least I have a new motor and it can't be that anymore lol
Coax and F connectors are fine but will check again before I try anything else lol

My old zgemma h2h, then a h5 both moved my dish ok, but I only use 1w, 13e, 16e, and 19e, I have 28e from an ordinary sat dish, I dont use the zgemmas any longer, but they can drive a motor, but I have seen others on here having trouble with them, for me it could have been because I wasnt moving the dish that far.
yes that's right but trying another box is the next option

I used a zgemma H1 for years with no issues,I think you need the power brick type of power supply with 3 amps or more,I thought woody had sorted a box for you?
lt is parcelled up awaiting collection by my daughter as it is her day off thursday, and will be posted then. l am house bound as carmine knows so have to be patient if l need any thing doing. lt is worth waiting for(y)

The problem started a few years ago with the drivers of Zgemma recievers The pure 2 team stated they had fixed the isue
I am referring to threads like this, in Zgemma section: http://www.hd-digital-satcrew.…by-pure2-code/#post112844

"If you have a motor, a small problem has been fixed by PurE2 code...

I do not have a motor but.... A small bug in drivers has been fixed by PurE2 code. To activate the code and get the signal, these are the steps to follow...

1) Tuner config > Simple > Mode > Positioner > Use Power Measurement > YES (So, not DiSEqC but "Positioner"...)

or

2) Mode > Positioner (selecting satellites)... Now, one chooses satellites one can have and then > SAVE, which shows up as USALS, as one gets out (possibly by using EXIT button).

3) After that, one goes to > Positioner setup > (...) Etc. etc. Who knows more, please fill in the gaps... I haven't dealt with a motor in a long time..."

Then, Delfi, or chief coder, says this:

"Seems, it is fixed, besides USALS for diseqc 1.2 as well."

Back