Dark Motor for my 95 cm dish

Use this calculator site You will see the difference between 0.8 west and true south

s://satlex.de/en/azel_calc.html

Just to update you all I received new motor yesterday late afternoon and as weather was bad left it until today to try and install new one. I managed to get old motor and dish down, have installed new motor bang centre to dish. I looked at manual for motor and elevation of dish had to be changed from 27.5 to 22.5 so I did I tightened everything up. Checked main pole that dish and motor go on and its all level spot on. Anyway tried my other box ie Humax and could get 19.2 east and 13 east using discq but with Usals nothing. So connected my Zgemma and unable to get any satellite yet, but moving from 0.8 west and 13 hotbird and 19.2 east amd 28.2 east and motor turns from Humax and Zgemma but using signal meter app I notice that just before motor reaches position I get a strong signal then disappears so I`m guessing a little adjustment needed still. So as its raining again will try again tomorrow any further advice or hints then please post here.

Many many thanks in advance
Carmine

You missed a few bits out, did you use dishpointer.com to get exact motor and dish settings, did you put motor at zero and then select a channel at 0.8w ie gospel or al jezzera, then did you move the whole rig until you got a strong signal at gospel and aljeezera. But you must put in correct USALS to both boxes BEFORE you select 0.8WEST.

When you set up motor and dish did you then ensure that the rig is exactly straight, ie an exact line its called the 3 dots. If you don't set rig up straight before selecting 0.8west you are wasting your time.

And make sure lnb is dead straight. When you get a signal on 0.8west you tweak it by adjusting elevation on motor and move rig left or right. You can always try adjusting dish elevation but if dish is dead square I very seldom got a better signal by adjusting elevation on dish. There is one other tweak and that is FOCAL length, this is the distance the front of the lnb is from the dish face, you move it in and out and watch signal. I dont have openpli on a box just now but with openatv and openvix I get 78% and 93%. Is your sat meter basic.

I would not use diseq as USALS is much better.

What you are trying to do is very easy but people tend to improvise and that cocks up everything. Have you a good view of the sky? Can you remind me the lnb you are using?

have a look at pic, its a still from a u tube vid from 2006 but its still best guide ever. so thanks to them

And finally I would get a better box.

Attachments

• IMG_1186.PNG
    IMG_1186.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 9
You missed a few bits out, did you use dishpointer.com to get exact motor and dish settings, did you put motor at zero and then select a channel at 0.8w ie gospel or al jezzera, then did you move the whole rig until you got a strong signal at gospel and aljeezera. But you must put in correct USALS to both boxes BEFORE you select 0.8WEST.

When you set up motor and dish did you then ensure that the rig is exactly straight, ie an exact line its called the 3 dots. If you don't set rig up straight before selecting 0.8west you are wasting your time.

And make sure lnb is dead straight. When you get a signal on 0.8west you tweak it by adjusting elevation on motor and move rig left or right. You can always try adjusting dish elevation but if dish is dead square I very seldom got a better signal by adjusting elevation on dish. There is one other tweak and that is FOCAL length, this is the distance the front of the lnb is from the dish face, you move it in and out and watch signal. I dont have openpli on a box just now but with openatv and openvix I get 78% and 93%. Is your sat meter basic.

I would not use diseq as USALS is much better.

What you are trying to do is very easy but people tend to improvise and that cocks up everything. Have you a good view of the sky? Can you remind me the lnb you are using?

have a look at pic, its a still from a u tube vid from 2006 but its still best guide ever. so thanks to them

And finally I would get a better box.
Wow that's great info will try and check everything you mentioned so trying to get 0 south there is an app I can use what's that and is there a link

Wow that's great info will try and check everything you mentioned so trying to get 0 south there is an app I can use what's that and is there a link
Thats the Video give it a watch,it might help you out,i watched it when doing mine and with help from here got set up.Good Luck with it

don't worry about true south, just point rig at sun at 12 noon, and as long as you have motor at zero when you select 0.8w it will be fine. When you have found gospel channel then that means rig is ready to be tweaked. By the way the movement from 0 to 0.8w is miniscule it less than 1 degree. To help you a bit better, say you had the rig pointing at 30west and motor at 0 and you select 0.8w, dish just moves but you have to swing the whole rig all the way around to the left to get 0.8. That means rig has to move a long way and can drop on pole etc. By starting at due south the distance to move is minimal. But if you move rig too quick you can miss the signal.

And the video is good.

i expect a good result now.

Last edited:
Just a quick update
I got south and got it on 0.8 west on gospel channel was only getting 42% signal so tried tweaking dish height was getting stronger didn't tighten everything before and lost signal lol school boy error. At least I know I'm there or there abouts. Just started tipping down have to wait for it to stop bloody weather lol

You don,t say enough, did you use dishpointer.com, are you using usals, did you move whole rig by hand, etc you need to use Aljeezera as well as you need good signal on V and H. And when you get signal its the motor elevation you tweak first. Rain is good as signal is weak. Take your time. Say box and image so I know how to interpret. Say make of lnb if you know as it may be poor. The more we know the easier it is to help. Due south is sun at 12 noon but as explained above its no longer needed.

NB and this is important, when you tighten everyting up its VITAL you check signal readings at 0.8west on both Al jeezera and Gospel before selecting any other sats as pressure on the fixxings can misalign dish and when you tighten you should see an IMPROVEMENT in signal as dish is now rock solid.

You could try using Disqec 1.2 and fine tune each individual transponder You can also buy
Mini Positioner which is powered by your reciever ,has East west manual buttons
With Usals your installation has to be totally accurate My advise when your Alignment is
Totally correct take a permanent marker and mark where the elevation lines meet up incase your installation moves again

You don,t say enough, did you use dishpointer.com, are you using usals, did you move whole rig by hand, etc you need to use Aljeezera as well as you need good signal on V and H. And when you get signal its the motor elevation you tweak first. Rain is good as signal is weak. Take your time. Say box and image so I know how to interpret. Say make of lnb if you know as it may be poor. The more we know the easier it is to help. Due south is sun at 12 noon but as explained above its no longer needed.

NB and this is important, when you tighten everyting up its VITAL you check signal readings at 0.8west on both Al jeezera and Gospel before selecting any other sats as pressure on the fixxings can misalign dish and when you tighten you should see an IMPROVEMENT in signal as dish is now rock solid.
Yes I used dishpointer.com plus have used compass to get true South. But as I am replacing motor south etc was literally there but as I said have re checked for South and yes am using USALS . YES I did move whole rig by hand but like I said did not tighten everything up when I had signal strength then when I turned on Zgemma because it remembers last satellite position that worked it moved to 13 east that also worked so moved back to o.8 west and tries slight adjustment, that when I made mistake but adjusting dish upwards but because I had not tightened everything with rig lost signal. Silly mistake lol

You could try using Disqec 1.2 and fine tune each individual transponder You can also buy
Mini Positioner which is powered by your reciever ,has East west manual buttons
With Usals your installation has to be totally accurate My advise when your Alignment is
Totally correct take a permanent marker and mark where the elevation lines meet up incase your installation moves again
Thank you
I have always used USALS was told it's better no sure.
Can I not use mini positioner with USALS ?

Okay just managed to tighten things up and put dish adjustment ie up or down to where it was before and listed in manual for new motor ie the dish's elevation and using Zgemma. Now get 0.8 west 13 east 19.2 east and 28 astra east as they were already on Zgemma. Only thing is signal is not as strong as it was before use to get about 65% on sky news on 0.8 west and signal is about 40% on gospel and aljazera.
What adjustment do you guys recommend I try to get back to 60% ?
Also the lnb was replaced 2 years ago and its a RT inverto black ultra single HGLN 40mm LNB
And one last thing some frequencies come up as tune failed as signal is not strong enough but tried H and V frequencies and they work but not all of them. I hope that all makes sense

Last edited:
Grab the dish from the back and turn it slightly either way as if was a steering wheel and see if signal improves as well as up and down and left to right,move the lnb closer to the dish and try further away.

@carmine

Set motor latitude according to your location (51.55 for me)

Set rough dish bracket angle (around 27 degrees for me)

Send motor to 0.8w and see if you can pick up Aljazeera.

Reaalllyyyy slowly move the motor left and right to get the best signal. Tighten up the nuts

Then all you have to do is move the dish up or down to get the best signal. Then tighten up the dish

DM me if you need more help

With motorised satellite dish There is slight correction error of 1° with your elevation settings on the motor If your not increasing the s.n.r with
the dish bracket elevation and moving the dish left or right When you move the dish to 0.8 west
Slightly losen the nuts on the motor bracket let it move the slightest bit to see if it improves the snr

You will also find if you drop doint your house
using Google earth Your latitude longitude will
be correct compared to dish pointer

Its a Motech sg2100q motor, and it has table that tells you the exact settings for elevation of the motor and the dish. In fact the motech has elevation on one side and latitude on the other. Its done in steps of 1 %. And with dishpointer you can drag the green marker to exactly where your dish is located and it will equal google maps. The reason one adjusts the elevation on the motor and dish is not because the settings given on dishpointer are wrong but markings on dish and motor are not accurate enough.

I would like to see a few photos showing the elevation on dish and elevation on motor. And bear in mind that tuner in the zgemma may be poor. And are you sure the rig is dead straight? When on 0.8w and on gospel rock rig back and forth and watch signal if it goes up rig is off.

NB you can tweak the dish using USALS just change the settings, say its 009.990w and 53.778 north you can put in 009. 590 and 53.220 and this also tells you if rig is crooked. And so on.

You can nudge rig/dish by going to positioner, then fine movement, then in opeantv you use colour buttons. Don't mess with other settings until you are sorted. NB these are only a guide and you cant save them.

With motorised satellite dish There is slight correction error of 1° with your elevation settings on the motor If your not increasing the s.n.r with
the dish bracket elevation and moving the dish left or right When you move the dish to 0.8 west
Slightly losen the nuts on the motor bracket let it move the slightest bit to see if it improves the snr
I noticed that when I tightened the nuts, the signal weakened. Why would that be?

When you tighten the bolts you pull the rig back towards the pole so you can put elevation out, just adjust either dish or motor elevation and you may even have to twist rig, it takes practice.

Back