darcyyy97

I'm contemplating starting off my own home plex server.

I'd also like to take use of HRTunerProxy on my VU+ and have the ability to stream live TV via my E2Box through my home server to any of my away from home devices.

So the NAS or PC Server will need to be capable of transcoding (so I gather an SSD or a shed load of RAM) would make this flawless ?

Anyway that's why I've created this thread to try and ascertain what would be best value for money. Obviously with a PC server you're using a lot more electricity whereas, a NAS is more energy efficient. I just want something that is going to enable me to do what's said above and ideally I'd like it to be as cheap as possible. (I've already tried reviving old computers, laptops and I could only stream 360p on my own WLAN)

If anyone has a consistent set up, with either NAS or PC server, comment your set-up and let me know your NAS brand / HDD's / SSD's and PC just quote what performance you get and how much I'd be looking at.

If you can afford it I would go for a Nas. Expensive though.
With the nas you can load all your films,music and anything you record from your box can go straight in to the nas. You can then connect most devices (tv,laptop, e2 boxes, tablets)in the house to watch what you have on the nas.
For plex You need to make sure the nas is capable of running plex as a server.
Not sure why you need a ssd but I would say at least 8gb of ram is required.
I personally don’t use hrtunerproxy and plex. I found using the vu+ app or en2Player to connect to my boxes on iPad or iPhone.

As far as running a plex server on a Pc/laptop I found it not to be the best solution.
I have the nas hidden away in a cupboard

If you can afford it I would go for a Nas. Expensive though.
With the nas you can load all your films,music and anything you record from your box can go straight in to the nas. You can then connect most devices (tv,laptop, e2 boxes, tablets)in the house to watch what you have on the nas.
For plex You need to make sure the nas is capable of running plex as a server.
Not sure why you need a ssd but I would say at least 8gb of ram is required.
I personally don’t use hrtunerproxy and plex. I found using the vu+ app or en2Player to connect to my boxes on iPad or iPhone.

As far as running a plex server on a Pc/laptop I found it not to be the best solution.
I have the nas hidden away in a cupboard
Sounds good, so I gather you do not watch TV when you're away from home ? I have the VU app and it streams fine. But I want it to work over 4G or free wifi. I know there is a way of doing this but I don't want to open up ports on my router or change my dns etc.. I'd rather it run via HRTunerproxy straight through Plex's new live tv function. And also obviously have all my E2 recordings on my plex server. So 8GB of ram on the NAS ? man that is pricey. The SSD got a mention as I didn't know what the NAS used for transcoding LIVE content (For example, Watching bbc1 live via 4G using plex's live dvr would need fast R/W speeds)

Did you buy your NAS with 8GB or upgrade it yourself ? also what brand / model is yours... Thanks

I've got a DS916+ with 8gb of ram and it handles a plex server nicely. I tried it when I first got the NAS but don't actually bother with plex anymore. I use the Movie Browser plugin to scrape my movie collection.

Qnap TS251+. (Note the +). It’s cheaper to buy the 2gb of ram model and upgrade to 8 gb yourself.
You get no advantage in having a ssd.

I've got a DS916+ with 8gb of ram and it handles a plex server nicely. I tried it when I first got the NAS but don't actually bother with plex anymore. I use the Movie Browser plugin to scrape my movie collection.
Quick query, When I last took a movie from my HDD connected to my Vu+ It would only play with audio description.. Watching directly from my vu+ it played 5.1 DD yet when I extracted it from the HDD no matter what movie player I used on my PC it had AD. And when streaming the movie through plex it also only used AD. Any guidance ?

Sorry, I'm not sure. I tend to just download movies from 1337x or TPB and just put them on the NAS and then I can watch them from any of my E2 boxes.

Back