Broadband Retentions leaving Virgin question - Price increase

I thought they would come out with this price increase, as this week they have scrapped most of their SD channels and switched them to HD ones, channels such as itv 2, 3 and 4, sky showcase, arts, comedy, sky max, sci fi and a few more are now all in HD, so looks like this is their excuse to squeeze a few extra quid from customers.

Is that right ? I thought they had it in new contracts that inflation prices rises could be issued.

Virgin Media to hike broadband and TV prices by 13.8% - adding £80 a year to bills​

Virgin Media says it will start telling customers how much extra they will pay and when to expect their bills to rise in the coming weeks and those who do not want to stay can cancel their contract within 30 days of the notice

That’s what it says in the article and happened last year when they put it up £3.50,you had 30 days to cancel once you got notice of the increase

Virgin Media to hike broadband and TV prices by 13.8% - adding £80 a year to bills​

Virgin Media says it will start telling customers how much extra they will pay and when to expect their bills to rise in the coming weeks and those who do not want to stay can cancel their contract within 30 days of the notice

That’s what it says in the article and happened last year when they put it up £3.50,you had 30 days to cancel once you got notice of the increase
(y) Right, they will need to barter or im gone.

Has anyone had any emails yet about the price increase I’m still waiting on mine to come through currently on 250MB £26.00 a month’ youfibre FTTP is live in my area now and been offered 1GB £25 a month.

(y) Right, they will need to barter or im gone.
Last time this happened it was for existing customers who were not on new cortract well what I am trying to say we were on 18 month contract for 200mb at £29.90 and ours did not go up but after our 18 months it was going uo to £50. so once our 18 months were up we just canceled and started another 18 month contract even in same name.

Edit: just read the info on link posted this is basicly the same as the other year depends on you package how much it goes up. But the 18 month contract was like offer for new users and even then it was only going up by about £5 a month for normal users.

Last edited:
Similar here, hate being held to ransom by Virgin so decided to test the Three 4G+ router, no 5G here yet either. Tbh I wasn't expecting much and thought I'd be sending it back however I was pleasantly surprised. Been testing it for 2 weeks now and pretty much getting 170mb download and 20mb upload speeds. Only drawback is the router only has 2 lan ports if you'd rather have a wired connection.
So now I've got a decent alternative it'll be two fingers to virgin when my contract runs out and may consider going back in a couple of years if the price is right, with a bit of luck 5G might be around by then too.
you can always stick a small 4 port hub on , theyre cheap

I've just cancelled my Virgin 500mb connection, my last bill was £65.25, my contract had ended in November so I should have called to negotiate a better deal, I was paying around £45.

Retentions offered to drop my bill to £35 for 500mb.

Hyperoptic are in my area offering 1Gb for £35.
They came out next day and installed it. Getting 800-900mb average.

Also really happy that I've just got it running into my own router rather than having to run a separate modem.

Just had virgin installed £20 for 530mbps plus there streaming box and the hub 5 router.
Going to look see if I can put it modem mode and use my deco system as the main router.
The streaming box is smaller than an android box lol

Just had virgin installed £20 for 530mbps plus there streaming box and the hub 5 router.
Going to look see if I can put it modem mode and use my deco system as the main router.
The streaming box is smaller than an android box lol
£20 for 530mbps?! How did you manage that? Quality deal.

Say to retention's that your partner will take out the new customer deal if you cancel. Just say you don't want to cancel but willing to as you can simply get the missus or husband or get the better new customer deal. Say you can't be bothered going through the hassle of sending the router back only for VM to send a similar one out with the new contract. Seems a waste of time for you and them.
Worked like a dream for me as how can they argue with that. Remember to be nice and friendly with them too.

I just had email from Virgin Media increasing price by £7 a month from 1st May
my 18-month contract ends in August I pay £29 a month for broadband M250 and telephone talk weekend do I have to pay this increase?

Our prices are increasing from 1st May 2023. Plus, we're making some changes to our services and pricing terms.
Hello ********​
We're writing to tell you about some changes that'll affect your package price, our services, and the way our price rises will work from 2024 onwards. Please make sure you read this email carefully.

As you can probably imagine, with costs like energy bills rising fast, our running costs are increasing too. So to make sure we can keep giving you the quality of service you expect from us, the price of your package will go up by £7.00 a month from 1st May 2023.

If you’re not happy with this or any of the other changes announced in this email, you can change or cancel your package. For more information, please scroll to the bottom of this email.

We know a price rise is never welcome news, so please read on or head to our online help page to find out how we've been making your Virgin Media experience better.​
Just some of the ways we give you more
Icons_set_Rocket_AW.png
We've given you a speed boost
To give you even more power to share, stream and download, we recently boosted your broadband speed from 200Mbps to 250Mbps.​
Icons_set_Tickets_AW.png
Perks and prizes with Priority from O₂
You get access to Priority from O₂ – so if you haven’t already, why not download the Priority app now? It gives you loads of benefits at no extra cost, including exclusive prize draws, ticket pre-sales for gigs and events, and regular rewards from brands like Greggs, Prezzo and Disney+.​
Icons_set_Secure_WiFi_AW.png
Hop on to the web worry-free
Built to keep internet nasties away from your home devices, Virgin Media Web Safe comes with your broadband package at no extra cost. So whether you’re working, gaming or chatting, your household is always fully protected online.​
Other changes you need to know about
We're making a couple of changes that'll affect the services you'll receive from us and your pricing terms and conditions.​
We’re retiring our out of home WiFi
From 1st November 2023, we'll be closing our out of home WiFi hotspots. If you've gone onto one of our WiFi hotspot lately, you'll probably have noticed it's easier just to use 4G or 5G.

That's because investment in 4G and 5G has come a long way in the last few years - offering wider coverage, faster speeds, and cheaper data.

Before we close down the service fully, some WiFi hotspots may be removed. This is normal and part of any variable service that we provide.​
We're changing our pricing terms
Currently, we usually change our prices each year, and will write to let you know how much any increase is and provide you with a right to cancel.

From April 2024, we are changing our approach so any price rise to your package is always made at the same time every year, and it’ll be linked to the Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation plus an additional 3.9%, so the amount of any increase will be clearer, sooner. To do this, we need to change our terms and conditions. The key features of these new rules are:​
icon_bullet_red.png
The monthly subscription price for your services will increase every April starting from April 2024.​
icon_bullet_red.png
The amount the monthly price will increase will be RPI rate of inflation plus an additional 3.9%. This increase will apply to the monthly subscription price you're paying at the time and also (if applicable) to the monthly price payable after subsequent expiry of any applicable offer or discount.​
icon_bullet_red.png
The RPI rate will be the amount that is announced in the preceding February of that year, so you will be able to work out the exact increase from that date.​
icon_bullet_red.png
If the RPI is 0% or less, then your price will increase by 3.9%.​
icon_bullet_red.png
We will publish the relevant RPI rate on our website as soon as it becomes available.​
icon_bullet_red.png
As this annual price increase is provided for in your terms, there is no right to cancel given for this price increase from April 2024.​
icon_bullet_red.png
Please note that these rules will apply to any optional add-ons you've chosen in addition to your core package, excluding Netflix Add to Bill, Disney+, Lionsgate+ or Stream Entertainment subscriptions. These excluded add-ons, as well as admin charges (e.g., paper billing) and any other out-of-allowance charges (e.g., non-inclusive calls) you incur, shall continue to be subject to same terms and conditions in respect of price changes as applied before this change to your terms and conditions.​
These changes to your terms and conditions will come into effect from 1st May 2023, even though the first price rise they relate to won't be until April 2024. To see your new terms and conditions, along with our FAQs page, head here
What are my options now
We understand these are tough times. And if you’re struggling, we’ll do everything we can to help you. That could be giving you extra time to pay your bill, reviewing your package, or working out a payment plan.

If you're not happy with any of the changes announced in this email, including those to our out of home WiFi hotspots and pricing terms and conditions, you can change or cancel your package, any time before 31st March 2023, without paying any cancellation fees.

If you have any questions:​
icon_bullet_red.png
Head to our online help page
icon_bullet_red.png
Call us on 0345 454 1111 from any phone or 150 from your Virgin Media landline or Virgin Mobile​
Thank you for understanding and for continuing to choose Virgin Media.

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media Team

Back