Retired Sparky free advice

Hi folks, just thought would offer my services as now retired but was a fully qualified 17th edition part P and all that crap lol feel free to ask for any help you need only too happy to help

Wey hey thats techkings for ya.Greetings mate.Maybe you can help tis quite trivial but hey ho.I have an electric fire and surround at the mo which has 1 single wire for the fire wired into a socket (not plug in).Got a new one coming which has wire for fire and wire for downlights.Im think putting the 2 wires together and wiring in to the socket is not a good idea and potentially dangerous.I have plug sockets i could use at the other end off the room but it means running wires where as the wired in socket is right next to the fire.Anywayz do i have any options?
Thanks in advance;)
Wanna try do myself as they wanted £200 for installation:eyes:

Last edited:
Cheers ok definitely DO NOT wire them together as lighting cable will be under rated and fire risk. I would suggest either adding a fused spur next to the socket with a max 3a fuse in it for the lights and plug in fire or change socket to two fused spurs one for each 13a for fire and 3a for lights. Cheapest way is to put a plug on each 13a for fire 3a for lights and get a double adaptor fir socket total cost about a tenner. Hows that?

Yeh thats enlightened me cheers.The idea was to try and get both in 1 wired in socket seems not feasable.Would have to change it for a double spur i beleve?.Think ill put 3a plug on the downlights and run it round skirting board to the other plug socket and wire in the fire to the socket thats catering for the fire thats already there.
Cheers matey;)
Btw ill let you know when the wife gets bored of the new fire and wants the house rewiring lol.

hi bumbletwitch,
im looking to put a tv in my bedroom and running the power from the loft, i will also have a freesat box, small pc in the loft. what precautions do i need to take. is it safe to keep that equipment in the loft?

electrical help

ok no probs with overheating etc as long as cables arent wrapped inloft insulation etc. Are you doing it properly by extending the ring or just using an extension cable?
ROFL

hi bumbletwitch,
im looking to put a tv in my bedroom and running the power from the loft, i will also have a freesat box, small pc in the loft. what precautions do i need to take. is it safe to keep that equipment in the loft?

will be extending the ring i think. wont be using an extension lead.
how do you suggest protecting the cable? should i put it in plastic trunking or is this overkill, there is tons of insulation in my loft.

trunking is not there just for protection it ids routing etc. You can either run it in trunking or oval or even clip direct. If run through joists must be at least 50mm from either side. DO NOT clip to top of floor joists. If extending ring make sure you do it properly and dont create a ring within a ring as this is a major cause of faults/fires you will need to crimp and join cables in socket. feel free to ask away

Spotted a box set of 4 "Lightway heavy duty light bulbs" in Aldi today for €1.99. They have the common BC22 type fitting and are available in both 60W 610 Lumen and 100W 1210 Lumen. They have the worst energy rating of 'E' but what really caught my attention was that the box clearly stated that they were "Not Suitable for Household Room Illumination"

What exactly are they supposed to be for? and what do they mean by "Not Suitable for Household Room Illumination?"

-

Spotted a box set of 4 "Lightway heavy duty light bulbs" in Aldi today for €1.99. They have the common BC22 type fitting and are available in both 60W 610 Lumen and 100W 1210 Lumen. They have the worst energy rating of 'E' but what really caught my attention was that the box clearly stated that they were "Not Suitable for Household Room Illumination"

What exactly are they supposed to be for? and what do they mean by "Not Suitable for Household Room Illumination?"

-

It has bee suggested to me on another Forum that this is what it's all about. LOL

It's a way to circumvent the EU ban on sale of incandescent bulbs as the ban only effects 'domestic' use

Hello,

I put a ceiling light up in the bedroom recently, it has been ok and nothing has sparked and I have not been blown up (Yet) But just want to run this by you (New one installed - Can't post link but Argos item number is 4325420)

The cube the cables go into has a part for an earth wire, but there was no earth on the previous light (Old light - 4322942)

Should I get a spark out to have a look?

I didn't look at the Argos item but if the light has metal an earth would be advisable I would think.

You may have an earth going to other lights such as the bathroom? If you had you could run an earth wire from that light to the new one in the attic.

I didn't look at the Argos item but if the light has metal an earth would be advisable I would think.

You may have an earth going to other lights such as the bathroom? If you had you could run an earth wire from that light to the new one in the attic.

Yeah it is metal, old one plastic, but as it isn't going to be touched I thought it might be ok.

I'm not too sure about the earth in the other lights but have another one of those lights to put up so will check it out.

I'm not too sure about the earth in the other lights but have another one of those lights to put up so will check it out.

I don't know if you live in a house, flat or apartment or whether you have access to the attic area? If you have access to the attic? have a look at the ceiling roses for the other lights in the attic and see if any of them have a Green\Yellow striped wire (That's the earth wire) or you might even have an earth wire from another source such as the hot press? or a copper pipe in the bathroom sink or even a socket or immersion in the hot press etc. Any earth will do and all you need to do is tap into one with a new earth wire and run it back to your light(s)

Back