Setup your own OpenVPN Server for using IPTV

SnowManUK

Hello All,

I have created a PDF guide (attached to this post) that will walk you through setting up your VPS, installing OpenVPN, creating config files, uploading to E2 box and running the VPN.

It should take around 30 mins to 1 hour, depending on your skill level.

I use Vultr (Referal Link: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=7163474 if you want to say thanks please follow this link and signup!), as they have UK, Paris, Amsterdam, Germany & USA VPS locations for $5 month for 1Tb bandwidth.

Most IPTV providers are using 5 providers in 1 of these locations, all my tests have shown sub 4ms pings to their servers from Vultr VPS's.
If your provider is using OVH, SYS etc. you might be better getting OVH SSD VPS, but I do not like their control panel or billing system. Vultr accept BitCoin, PayPal and Credit/Debit Card.

If you have any questions, please post here (remove IP's/User/Pass etc.) as they Q&A might help other users too. If you have a personal question you can PM me.

I can setup for you a specific config, add Squid Proxy for example as I do on my own, for a small fee.

You should also look into growing your knowledge of looking after the server, you do not need a firewall as the Vultr platform does that for you in the portal, but keeping it up to date (see guide), using for other things like torrents (needs port forwarding +other config changes), friends & family etc.

Hope this helps you guys.

Attachments

• OpenVPN and OpenVIX v0-1.pdf
    996.3 KB · Views: 846
I'm just getting command not found when I do the first command line...

Last edited:
Hi, do you have to use putty to do these commands in instructions? Will it work On Windows or Ubuntu only

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Hi, Did you deploy as Ubuntu 16.04/16.10/17.04 ?
Can you paste a screen shot?

Mine looks just like yours, except I don't have the firewall group setting as option 7, my option 7 is the server hostname and label. I did it with 17.04 though.

Regarding the server host name, could I put a ddns in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, you need to define a firewall group to get access etc. If you want I can setup for you, PM me your email / skype. Will be Monday or Tuesday, but will not take long.

I'm in the firewall tab on my server and I've added a group, have added my IP as an IPv4 rule. Do I need to add an IPv6 rule too? And is there anything else I need to do?

Ah, seems to be working now on putty whatever I did. But yeah, do I need to do anything else for my firewall?

And one more thing.. I put the command in for OpenVPN but it won't install.
f563474b15b6625020a546d058b7e63f.jpg

Last edited:
22/TCP = SSH , 443/UDP = OpenVPN , 10000/TCP = Webmin - Is all you need to get going.

Paste whole command "wget git.io............... "
Do not need sudo as you already root user.

First you need to do :

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt autoremove
reboot
login again then do openvpn command

[emoji23] wouldn't have noticed if you'd not pointed that out. At least it'll hopefully stop others making the same cock up :)

Excellent, thanks SnowMan. I used the link and got the double deposit. Setup was easy with the only oddity the cut and paste for the wget command which dropped the 't' in certificate. I put the VPN config on a router so all my IPTV devices go through the VPN. The VPN router connects into an open router which takes the rest of my traffic. What this has shown me is that I need to find another provider as the slow downs are on there end.

Is it my account login or the server login? I was using the server login and now you've said that I have a feeling it's where I went wrong...

Hi,

Use FileZilla FTP, it can do SFTP (FTP over SSH) on port 22, NEVER enable FTP server anymore, security hole.

Hi, that is why TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, buy 1 month before commiting to a provider is IMPORTANT.
Glad it all worked easily for you, not sure why the copy/paste drops the t, I pasted in and it shows in PDF as with t. - Strange!

Excellent, thanks SnowMan. I used the link and got the double deposit. Setup was easy with the only oddity the cut and paste for the wget command which dropped the 't' in certificate. I put the VPN config on a router so all my IPTV devices go through the VPN. The VPN router connects into an open router which takes the rest of my traffic. What this has shown me is that I need to find another provider as the slow downs are on there end.

Back