Setup your own OpenVPN Server for using IPTV

Followed this to the letter (a little too literally earlier, as we discovered) but it isn't working for me. I set up a client file for my PC to test it out but it keeps timing out.

Did you create Firewall Group and assign to the VPS with 22/TCP , 443/UDP and config OpenVPN to use UDP 443 in setup?
Can you SSH onto the VPS ok?
if you type "netstat -tupln" do you see OpenVPN running on 443/UDP?
Where did you download OpenVPN from on your PC? Did it install OK/reboot afterwards?
What does the OpenVPN client log say?

Thanks very much to SnowManUK for posting this guide. I have set up an Ubuntu server as described, but there are a number of things I don't understand.

Firewall group
I added a firewall group and added some ipv4 rules. I assumed that I should be adding protocol SSH, the given port number and then ipaddress/port number, where the ip addresses were those of the e2 devices

When I select SSH protocol and source as custom and my ipaddress/port number, the rule gets added, but the protocol of the rule is shown as TCP. Is this a problem?

If I try to add IPv6 rules, I get the error Unable to add rule: Invalid IPv6 address

When I connected to my e2 box with putty and displayed the ip address & other details, there was no IPv6 info displayed. Does this mean IPv6 is not setup? Do the e2 boxes mac address have any part to play in this?

When you go the settings page for your server and Sample Network Configuration page it shows /etc/network/interfaces setup similar to the image on page 6 of your guide. Are those the settings you need to enter into your /etc/network/interfaces. Other than the ip address of your server, the rest is greek to me!

How do you change the password for your server? I only seem to be able to view it & copy it on the server information page.

Server Hostname & label
Your guide displays the server hostname as myproxy.mydomain.net. If you desired to name this something else, what kind of format do you need to stick to?

I created the openvpn folder and uploaded openvpn.conf to my e2 box. Where do you download from and how do you get OpenVPN on to your e2 box so that openvpn setup appears in your network options?

Thanks

Hi Webby99,
I think you are confusing your E2 box and your Vultr vps.
PM me here with your e-mail/skype and I can walk you through it easier.

You can only have 1 VPN config on the OpenVix/ATV setup at a time yes.
This is because the box would get confused what to do.
With a single VPN, all traffic goes that way and is hidden from your ISP.
The Guide above DOES NOT work fully on OpenVIX, you have to use Certificate Login and merge certs into the config for it to work.
I was unable to get outside user & pass to work with any combination of config.
Also known VPN services are the ones that Sky, Virgin, BT, TalkTalk are going to be allowed to block on Match day's.
The ISP's and PFA have been gathering intel on these services to block them, and as a result people paying for VPN's will not be able to watch IPTV for football.
Using your own VPN will not make it onto PFA/ISP watchlists and blocklists.

Mine is still working. These are the files that I used ca.crt. Client.conf and login.txt which is my user and pass word. Enc pic.

Attachments

• 20170813_173045_1502644499850_resized.jpg
    20170813_173045_1502644499850_resized.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 70
Has anybody tried this for openatv? I have followed the instructions step by step but the openvpn setup on my box still has 'stopped' in red :(

Any ideas?

Does your openvpn set up look like this and what files has your provider sent you.

Attachments

• 20170726_155752_1501137779850_resized.jpg
    20170726_155752_1501137779850_resized.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 85
The most common reason for it not starting is file name on the box.
On OpenVIX, it had to be spelt EXACTLY as I put in guide.
You should have a "Show Log" option, what does the log say?
That might give you a pointer to start troubleshooting.
I have extended my VPN by adding iPad, iPhone, Laptop config's to keep my browsing and watching on the go, but still being safe.
I have not tried OpenATV on my boxes, so not 100% sure, but they look the same at the base level, so 97% should be the same, might be something like filename, or something little.

Mine is still working. These are the files that I used ca.crt. Client.conf and login.txt which is my user and pass word. Enc pic.

I am on openATV and use the same config as you but cant get it to start so I removed it. I cannot get ANY IPTV channels when a Premier Game is on TV such as last week. Using VM router by the way.

Hi
Thanks for the great guide BTW - it worked a treat, first time.
I'm UK based, but I've setup my Vultr server in the Netherlands to avoid IPTV being blocked when the Premier Football is on. My question is, is having Netherlands server really needed for this purpose or would I be better off with a London one?

thanks.

Hi,
Test the PING/TRACERT stats to the server.
NL is well connected to UK at Multi-100Gb Optical fibre, Most providers are in FR/NL/DE themselves, very few are UK servers due to the law.
So from NL your traffic is not VPN into Providers server, then back to NL put into VPN and sent to you.
I have tested a NL and DE today and works fine for me, as server in FR.
Give it a go, on Vultr you pay by hour/day anyway, so if it poor, spin up another (or do SNAPSHOT, then restore to another location, retains keys etc.)
London would be good if provider in UK, but doubt they are.

thx

Hello All,

I have created a PDF guide (attached to this post) that will walk you through setting up your VPS, installing OpenVPN, creating config files, uploading to E2 box and running the VPN.

It should take around 30 mins to 1 hour, depending on your skill level.

I use Vultr (Referal Link: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=7163474 if you want to say thanks please follow this link and signup!), as they have UK, Paris, Amsterdam, Germany & USA VPS locations for $5 month for 1Tb bandwidth.

Most IPTV providers are using 5 providers in 1 of these locations, all my tests have shown sub 4ms pings to their servers from Vultr VPS's.
If your provider is using OVH, SYS etc. you might be better getting OVH SSD VPS, but I do not like their control panel or billing system. Vultr accept BitCoin, PayPal and Credit/Debit Card.

If you have any questions, please post here (remove IP's/User/Pass etc.) as they Q&A might help other users too. If you have a personal question you can PM me.

I can setup for you a specific config, add Squid Proxy for example as I do on my own, for a small fee.

You should also look into growing your knowledge of looking after the server, you do not need a firewall as the Vultr platform does that for you in the portal, but keeping it up to date (see guide), using for other things like torrents (needs port forwarding +other config changes), friends & family etc.

Hope this helps you guys.

Mate thanks for this i use filezilla and putty i take it thats all i need ?? i have dabbled with these and been pretty successful via tutorials like yours. Would you say that Vultr is fast and wouldn't slow my speed down too much? Also do i pick UK on there website???

when I try to connect to my box I get this:
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: USER root
Response: 331 Please specify the password.
Command: PASS
Response: 530 Login incorrect.
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server
any advice?

thanks snowmanuk for the reply.
That the issue, regardless of how I try to connect to the box it fails, incorrect password,
Iv'e tried PuTTY, filezilla, echannelizer and I get could not connect, access denied errors for all attempts
I havent changed any passwords or login details
don't know what's going on

Back