Setup your own OpenVPN Server for using IPTV

on putty, user is root (lowercase) and no password, just press enter.

If you still can't get in, I suggest you flash your box with a vanilla image which will be root / no pass.

That's exactly what I've been trying. If I flash with another image will I lose all my settings, add my line and reinstall IPTV ?

Bump - Several people asking about VPN.
Why not have your own, and link in your Phone, iPad, etc.
Help your friends and family, chip in togther for a server.

most providers wont allow private vpns eg on OVH

a lot are making you ask permission to use commercial vpns like PIA.

That is so they can send you their referal link to earn money for themselves.

They cannot stop you using a VPN, you are just an IP address to them, they are probably using OVH or Hertzner anyway.

they most definately can stop you using a VPN, and do. the ones bannign usage are the ones you dont need a vpn for, its not for referrals as they dont really want you to use one/. its people sharing accounts / selling streams on / restreaming on kodi etc that they are worried about

when i renewed my last sub they forgot to renew my vpn access and my streams went black until i got them to whitelist my vpn servers.

bbc iplayer / netflix / real-debrid all block vpn access as a routine [debrid allow you to whitelist on request, but wont allow you to use a private server]

Virmin stop access to all my IPTV when premier league live matches are played so I installed a VPN (IPVanish) on my Mut@nt HD51 and hey presto no problems now!

they most definately can stop you using a VPN, and do. the ones bannign usage are the ones you dont need a vpn for, its not for referrals as they dont really want you to use one/. its people sharing accounts / selling streams on / restreaming on kodi etc that they are worried about

when i renewed my last sub they forgot to renew my vpn access and my streams went black until i got them to whitelist my vpn servers.

bbc iplayer / netflix / real-debrid all block vpn access as a routine [debrid allow you to whitelist on request, but wont allow you to use a private server]

Hi,
What I am saying, is using your own VPN (not a paid service like vanish etc.) they CANNOT block it, as they do not know it is a vpn.
It is just an IP address, the reverse DNS does not say "uk-vpn-server-01.ipvanish.com" it is just IP address.
They know by username logged in what channel you are viewing.
If you use VPN all the time, then they see it is as a stable normal user.

My vpn has fallen over. It was working fine for ca. 6 months after SnowManUK very kindly set it up for me. Any help/assistance would be really appreciated!
I have not changed anything, so perhaps some automatic update has screwed things up. My vpv server is running fine and openvpn is running on my boxes.

Today, my ISP appears to have been blocking the provider servers, blocking access for to streams, during footie coverage. The provider suggested main ISPs were doing this now. As the vpn was not working, the streams could not be accessed.

It appears that my box is picking up a local ip address 198.168.... rather than a vpn one 10.xxxxxx

Last edited:
My e2 boxes do not appear to be talking to my vpn any more. I logged in to vultr & it said my version of Ubuntu was no longer supported.
I updated to the most recent version (Ubuntu 18.04 x64), followed your guide to return the interfaces file to it's previous state. I regenerated the certificates & uploaded them to the boxes, my pc & phone. My pc & phone connect fine to the vpn. I start openvpn on the boxes, but neither write anything to the log, so it looks like they are probably not connecting. Any ideas?

I know this is a bit of an old thread - but rather than open a new thread - thought best to reply to this one.

After pissing about for hours and wondering why my zgemma H2S (on Woosh Infinity) would activate the OpenVPN plugin, show as running and then still show the same external IP (checking with IP Checker) - don't have more than one zgemma on the network and keep uploading files to the wrong one - I've got things working.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on a VPS (UK) with OpenVPN server.

My server.conf is

port 443
proto udp
dev tun
sndbuf 0
rcvbuf 0
ca ca.crt
cert server.crt
key server.key
dh dh.pem
mode server
tls-server
#auth SHA1
tls-auth ta.key 0
topology subnet
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8"
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4"
keepalive 10 120
cipher AES-256-CBC
user nobody
group nogroup
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-status.log
verb 3
crl-verify crl.pem

and my client conf is

tls-client
dev tun
proto udp
sndbuf 0
rcvbuf 0
remote 123.45.67.89 443
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
remote-cert-tls server
#auth SHA1
cipher AES-256-CBC
setenv opt block-outside-dns
key-direction 1
fast-io
pull
route-delay 2
redirect-gateway
mssfix 1432
verb 3
log /etc/openvpn/openvpn.log
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
M..=
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>
<cert>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
M...c
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</cert>
<key>
-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
M...........==
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----
</key>
<tls-auth>
-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1-----
6............c19
-----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----
</tls-auth>

where 123.45.67.79 is the VPS external IP and 443 is the port. The client configuration created by the server will be have a few rows less - check the above client conf and add them into yours. It will be called xxxxx.ovpn - where xxxxx is the name you typed in when you run the install script and it asks you for the client name.

This will need copying down to your local PC - making to look like the one I've posted. Only the bit above where it says "verb 3". Leave the bits below (the certificate & key) alone. You'll need to add the log line below "verb 3" as well.

Once you FTP to your zgemma - go to etc and if there isn't a folder called openvpn, create one. If there is one there already - go into it. Copy the xxxxx.ovpn file into it. Rename it to client.conf - or rename it whilst it's on your PC.

On your remote, press\select

Menu - Setup - System - Network - OpenVPN Setup

Current Status should be stopped. Press Green and it should start and stay running. You can download IP Checker plugin and run it & it should display the IP of your VPS.

The original guide by Snowman was tested on Vix but not on ATV. With the above settings - you should have it running on OpenATV.

HIH somone.

Cheers

RL

Back