Glasgow Celtic Supporters Thread

Green Brigade Display – C’est Magnifique!

Without the Green Brigade, Celtic Park would be just another football stadium.

Almost 125 years to the day since this great institution was formed, the Green Brigade organised one of the biggest and most impressive displays ever seen in a British football stadium.

It was somewhat poetic and fitting that our opponents be Barcelona (more than just a football club) while our celebration of 125 years be displayed in such wonderful colour and style.

The world was watching and if there was any doubt about how special this club really is, then those doubts have now evaporated.

It really makes you proud to be a Celtic fan.

Already renowned for the huge amount of thought, preparation, work and effort that goes into their displays to make the Celtic Park experience as colourful and atmospheric as possible, they have really excelled themselves with this one.

A lot of talk and rumour surrounded the display in the weeks leading up to the game but what we witnessed surpassed all expectations and I know that a lot of time was given up to make it possible.

Green Brigade – Take a bow.

Since they arrived on the scene they have literally transformed the matchday experience with wit and a relentless atmosphere which is fitting for – and a credit to – this famous club.

It is therefore saddening to see the group face seemingly never-ending attacks, both publicly – by the police, the introduction of ludicrous fan-targeting legislation and sections of the media; and covertly – in the form of surveillance and ‘intelligence gathering’ which may border on harassment, intimidation and suppression of civil liberties.

Without the Green Brigade, Celtic Park would be just another football stadium.

Perhaps now is the time for Celtic to start defending and encouraging the group in a way that is proportionate to the tireless support the Green Brigade provide for the club.

Code:
http://harryhood67.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/green-brigade-display-cest-magnifique/

Thanks to @Vandalgrease

Last edited:
Oh yeah, remember this ITV football????? When the draw was made??????

itv1.jpg

GIRUY!! Hail Hail !!!

Now i understand why people have been moaning about itv

lets hope we prove them wrong.

Jim McGuinness takes up part-time performance consultant role with Celtic

Friday, 09 Nov 2012 12:23

00069f4c-642.jpg
00069f2a-642.jpg
00064b75-642.jpg

Jim McGuinness has been hailed by Celtic manager Neil Lennon as a first-class coach and manager

Donegal football manager Jim McGuinness has been appointed as a performance consultant with Celtic soccer club, however, he will also remain in charge of the All-Ireland champions.

Celtic released a statement this morning stating that McGuinness had joined the Glasgow club.

He will be based at Lennoxtown and will help in the development of the club's young players, commencing his role at the end of November.

McGuinness said: "It's a fantastic opportunity for me on an individual level and I'm very thankful to Neil Lennon for giving me this chance and bringing me into the club.

"Obviously I work in amateur sport and the opportunity to work in professional sport in any capacity is a wonderful chance for me and one I'm very [much] looking forward to."

McGuinness' role will focus on youth players at the Celtic academy.

It's believed the 2012 All-Ireland winning coach will work with Celtic three days a week. Those three days are thought to be Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, with his assistant Rory Gallagher coaching Donegal when McGuinness is in Scotland.

McGuinness' Celtic salary is rumoured to be in the region of €150,000.

McGuinness continued: "You are really looking to create a finished product that is good enough to be pushing for the first team and creating a stronger squad at the club.

"We will hopefully look at every single player as an individual project and move them forward as best we can.

"We will revaluate every couple of months and try and move them forward and give them the best opportunity to develop and grow within the club so they can put their best foot forward in making the ultimate step up to first-team football."

Speculation regarding McGuinness linking up with Celtic intensified this week when he was spotted at the Glasgow club's UEFA Champions League clash with Barcelona at Celtic Park.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon had previously invited McGuinness to Parkhead to see Celtic play against Helsingborg last August and is a known admirer of the Donegal man's coaching style.

McGuinness has also spoken about his working relationship with Lennon: "I suppose the bottom line is that it has been through my work with Donegal.

"We started off at Donegal at a very low base, a low level, but we have worked very hard in moving the thing forward and getting people to up a level and ultimately getting success on the pitch.

"So I suppose Neil [Lennon] was looking in at that and watching that unfold. I was invited over then saw around the facilities and met all the coaching staff and the support people.

"It was great for myself to see that as you are very interested from your own point of view from bringing things back into your own group. That's how it really developed.

Lennon said: “We are absolutely delighted that Jim has agreed to join us. He is a first-class coach and manager and a high-quality individual who has achieved so much already in sport.

"We feel he will add real value to the club in terms of moving our young players forward and in making sure they develop in the right way for the benefit of the club."

Accomplished player and tactician

The Glenties man was an accomplished football player before his career in management, and was part of the Donegal side that won the All-Ireland SFC in 1992.

Having retired from the game as a player, McGuinness went on to work as a fitness coach and a sports psychologist in the North West Regional College, Limavady.

McGuinness' success with the Donegal team is largely credited to his creation and development of a defensive, smothering style of football - entitled The System by GAA media. The System landed Donegal the Ulster Senior Football Championship in 2011 and 2012, as well as the All-Ireland title in 2012.

00066e17-640.jpg

The Donegal boss is only two years into a four-year contract with his county, and it is believed that he spoke to the Donegal County Board on Tuesday regarding the possibility of maintaining his role with Donegal and working concurrently with Celtic.

Aodh Mairtin Ó Fearraigh, the Donegal County Board secretary, said on Thursday: "As far as we’re concerned, Jim McGuinness is still the manager of the Donegal senior team."

Sports science background
McGuinness has an MSc in sport psychology from John Moore's University, Liverpool, as well as an honours degree in sport, exercise and leisure from UUJ. In addition to those qualifications he holds a higher cert in health and leisure studies from Tralee IT.

McGuinness also recently stated his desire to work in other sports, and with other teams, having previously worked with soccer clubs Finns Harps, Derry City and Limavady United.

Last month, he said: "My background is in sports science and in psychology, which are transferable across all sports.

"If a professional football team, or any professional sporting organisation came in and said they were interested in talking about work, it is obviously something that I’d have to consider.

"I’m a young man with a young family and three kids so it’s something that I’d have to consider.

"It wouldn’t scare me. If something came up, I would have to discuss it with my wife, but Donegal is where I’m from and Donegal is my love and passion.

"It would have to be something that I would have to look at very seriously if there was going to be anything."

[h=2]Two Celts in UEFA Champions League Team of the Week
[/h] By: Newsroom Staff on 09 Nov, 2012

CELTIC´S magnificent 2-1 victory over Barcelona on matchday four of the UEFA Champions League has been recognised by UEFA, who have included two Celtic players in their Team of the Week.

For the second time in a row, goalkeeper Fraser Forster is the man between the sticks. After his superb performance in the Nou Camp, the big Englishman produced aother stunning display at Celtic Park, leading to one Catalan newspaper tagging him ´The Great Wall.´

And Victor Wanyama, who scored Celtic´s opener in the 2-1 victory at Paradise, has been selected in midfield for UEFA´S Team of the Week. Previously, after the Nou Camp clash with Barcelona, Efe Ambrose had been selected by UEFA, along with Forster.

The full UEFA Team of the Week after the matchday four fixtures in the UEFA Champions League is:

FRASER FORSTER
Vassilis Torossidis (Olympiakos)
Pepe (Real Madrid)
Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund)
Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich)
Siem de Jong (Ajax)
VICTOR WANYAMA
Oscar (Chelsea)
Willian (Shakhtar Donetsk)
Claudio Pizarro (Bayern Munich)
Burak Yilmaz (Galatasaray)

celticfc.net

What they said about Celtic beating Barca.

Rod Stewart was moved to tears, Elton John was on the phone to congratulate Neil Lennon and the whole of Europe stopped in it’s tracks as the shockwaves of Celtic’s victory over Barcelona reverberated far and wide.

Everyone will have their own special memories to savour from that special night and here is what some had to say about it…

“Ark at Celtic with the cheeky win over Barca! Well done, great stadium to play in is Celtic Park” Rio Ferdinand

“Magnificent victory for Celtic. Historic, heroic and wonderfully stoic!” Gary Lineker

“People in Spain will respect football in Scotland more now because Barcelona is probably the best team in history but Celtic beat them in the Champions League” Miku

“First of all, I would like to congratulate Celtic. Their fans were amazing tonight” Tito Villanova

“Nobody will want to play Celtic over two legs after what they’ve just achieved against us.
“How many clubs play Barcelona twice and have such close matches?
“They have shown the whole of Europe they are not in the Champions League just to make up the numbers.
“If they can beat Barcelona they can beat anybody. Before, you might hope you draw a team like Celtic in the knockout stages of the competition.
“But I don’t think any club will be feeling like that now.
“As a player, you know how difficult it is to play at Celtic Park. The crowd makes it 12 v 11 and those fans would motivate any team in the world.” Pedro Rodríguez

“Unlucky that we lost even I think we played well. Happy to be back. No words to describe the atmosphere at Celtic Park!” Gerard Pique

“AMAZING! Well done bhoys!!! What a great performance from the whole team not to mention the atmosphere at Celtic Park!@OfficialNeil #legend” Marc Crossas

“It is all they have talked about down in England over the past couple of days. Most people who enjoy football will say that the current Barcelona side is the team they like watching most of all. My favourite team were the Real Madrid side of Alfredo di Stefano, Ferenc Puskas and Francisco Gento. I’d say Barcelona are in that bracket as well.
“They play such fine football and are the best team around just now, but there are Celtic beating them. People around the world will be looking at that result.
“I must admit I’d never heard of the lad Tony Watt before Wednesday, but it was a fantastic goal he scored. It was nice that a young Scottish player got the winner. It’s a boost for the whole game in Scotland.” Denis Law

“There are times when the atmosphere at a football match is even more memorable than the score — and last night here at Parkhead was a case in point. I sat among a group of Barcelona fans and they spent the night gawping and capturing the scene on their smartphones as Celtic, resolve buttressed by the towering concrete of their 12th man, earned the result of the week.” Patrick Barclay

“The best moment of my life beating Barca” Victor Wanyama

“Celtic sent shockwaves around Europe as they produced a stunning 2-1 Group G win over Barcelona at Parkhead yesterday to end the Catalan giants’ 100 per cent record in this season’s competition.” Jamaica Observer

“Congratulations for the historic win on their 125th anniversary @celticfc Go Hoops!” Club Santos Laguna

“One word. Brilliant!!!” John Hartson

“Congratulations to @CelticFC for well-earned victory a day after their 125-year anniversary.” FC Barcelona

“CELTIC PROVE BARCA CAN BE BEATEN. Good defensive tactics, an amazing performance by Fraser Forster in goal, a partisan crowd and a pinch of good luck. With these ingredients, Celtic cooked up a night on which Barcelona were unable to offer their best. There is perhaps no greater home pitch advantage in all of football than a Celtic match at Parkhead… as Barcelona learned the hard way.” Angel L. D. Maza (Spanish Press)

“BRAVEHEARTS OVERCOME BARCELONA. Barcelona were the guest of honour at Celtic’s birthday party. It is hard to imagine how this Celtic team, with the support of the fans, ever lose a game in this old and beloved stadium. The atmosphere was special: 60,000 plastic green and white sheets formed a mosaic of the club badge, and brutal screaming engulfed the Champions League anthem. They did not stop jumping, singing and shouting. This pushes people to their team. And there is a legend: the stadium literally shakes.” Joan Poqui (Spanish Press)

“BARCELONA CAUGHT IN A TRANCE AT CELTIC PARK. This match was a carbon copy of what we saw a few weeks ago at the Camp Nou. But this time there was to be no comeback, no triumph at the last minute. Celtic did not move an inch from their script. After taking the lead they retreated behind the ball, giving it to Barca. Barca were superior to their rival, who defended all the time. But Celtic are a tough nut to crack.” Ricard Lopez (Spanish Press)

“Forster heroics help Celtic achieve unlikely victory. This time Barcelona could not penetrate the wall of defenders they so often face in league and cup competitions. A corner, a counter-attack, plus some memorable stops by Fraser Forster, were enough for Celtic to counter Barca’s dominance.” Alfredo Garcia (Spanish Press)

“Boomtown greatest moment of my life! We have just beaten the best team ever! Got to say, I know ever player says it but today was the best atmosphere ever… Thank you” Joe Ledley

“It was just the emotion of it all. We have never seen anything like it at Celtic Park, right from the moment the fans all held up cards which said 125 years. Celtic Park has an atmosphere that’s second to none and I think everyone realises that now.
“This ranks right up there with anything the club has achieved but maybe winning the European Cup is just one notch above.
“I went home on Wednesday night and sat alone on my chair to try to let the adrenalin leave me. I didn’t get much sleep but I don’t think many Celtic fans would have.
“It was a wonderful result but the most important thing was the supporters showed just why Celtic Park is such a difficult place to get a result. Not even Barcelona have a right to just turn up at Celtic Park and win.
“There is something about our stadium, an aura and a magic that makes it difficult for teams to come here and get a result.” John Clark

“My players are all heroes to me and I can’t speak too highly of their performance,” he said. “You can talk about tactics until you are blue in the face, but football is about the players. They covered themselves in glory tonight. We can give instructions to them, but it’s down to the players to go and do it.” Neil Lennon

Twitter: @Vandalgrease

Code:
http://harryhood67.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/what-they-said-about-celtic-beating-barca/

Last edited:
Thought you Bhoys would enjoy this video below, its a celtic fan commentating the barcelona match, its brilliant!
[video=youtube;74BrJXa-n3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=74BrJXa-n3U[/video]

Ambient a Celtic Park - Celtic FC vs FC Barcelona

[video=dailymotion;xuym3w]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuym3w_ambient-a-celtic-park-celtic-fc-vs-fc-barcelona-hd-16-9-07-11-2012_sport?start=8[/video]

Video shot by Barcelona supporter Laiamarques

Last edited:
[h=2]This week's international play Bhoys
[/h] By: Mark Henderson

A SIGNIFICANT number of Celtic players have been called up for international duty for their respective countries this week. Charlie Mulgrew and Kris Commons have been named in Billy Stark´s Scotland squad for their friendly away to Luxembourg.

Over in Stockholm, Mikael Lustig and Fraser Forster could go head-to-head as Sweden host England.

Joe Ledley and Adam Matthews will join up with the Welsh squad for a get-together in Newport, while Georgios Samaras will make the short journey to the Emerald Isle as Greece face Ireland in Dublin.

Israeli midfielder Beram Kayal has been included in his country's squad for their friendly with Belarus in Jerusalem.

Closer to home, Paddy McCourt is named among the Northern Ireland pool as they host Azerbaijan in Belfast.

Stuart Findlay, Marcus Fraser and John Herron have all been included in the Scotland U21 squad for their friendly away to Portugal. On-loan Celt, Lewis Toshney, is also among the travelling party. Tony Watt and Dylan McGeouch were forced to withdraw through injury.

Aussie Bhoy, Jackson Irvine, remains with his country´s U20 side after they qualified for the latter stages of the Asia Cup in Dubai.

celticfc.net

Scottish Football - Celtic: The Next Episode for Snoop Dogg

Snoop Dogg has revealed his love for Celtic and Georgios Samaras - and the rapper is ready to invest in the Scottish giants.

• Snoop Dogg

The 41-year-old hip hop star is a qualified football coach and has even consulted fellow Los Angeles resident David Beckham about the Parkhead club.

And Snoop, whose real name is Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr, wants to add the former England captain to Neil Lennon's squad.

He told the Daily Record: “I got a lot of interest in soccer. It’s not a new thing for hip hop stars to invest in sports teams but it is a new thing for hip hop stars to invest in soccer teams.

“I see how passionate Celtic fans are about their team and I could see myself making an investment if any of the board wanted to sell.

“I haven’t really thought how much. I don’t need to run a soccer club but enough of a percentage to get me on the board so I can be heard. I want to bring a bit of Snoop to things. The boxes at Celtic would never be the same once I have hosted a party there.

“I asked my man David (Beckham) about Celtic. I would try and sign him up for a season....I would have to at least make that offer to my boy."

Greek striker Samaras is much maligned in some quarters but not in Snoop Land.

He said: “I like Samaras a lot. He looks like a proper athlete and is a pretty dangerous player. If we are to go far in Europe, he needs to play well."

Attachments

• snoop.jpg
    snoop.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 30
  • snoop1.jpg
    snoop1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 32
Statement about The Green Brigade/Celtic fans harassment

The Trust has for some months now been receiving very worrying indications of what appears to be almost a vendetta against Celtic fans in general, and the Green Brigade in particular, by Strathclyde Police/FoCus. We have raised this on at least two occasions with the Club.

This has now come to a head and together with the unprecedented treatment we received at Tannadice (based on 'intelligence' from Strathclyde Police that there was an 'arranged fight between Celtic fans and Dundee Utd fans!), we feel strongly that we need to unite and stand up to this.

The Fans Against Criminalisation campaign will be meeting early next week to plan our response/strategy. However, in the meantime the Green Brigade have decided to boycott the next two home games beginning with the game against Inverness on Saturday. In solidarity with them, we are calling on all supporters to stand up for the 12th man at the 12th minute and chant 'Stand up for the Green Brigade`.

Please spread the word, bring banners, flags and whistles or just bring yourself but at the 12th minute, stand up for Celtic fans and

Stand up for the Green Brigade

HH/DM88

green brigade.jpg

Last edited:
[video=youtube;azghP1daq6s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azghP1daq6s[/video]

[video=youtube;6BU6VvcmnbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BU6VvcmnbA[/video]

Good luck to the Bhoys this evening. Hail Hail!

:ynwaceltic: irelandflag :celtic flag:

Last edited:
newsimg_3443_20121210112158.jpg

Let's get Rod's charity single to No.1

ROD Stewart’s festive charity single, ‘Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas’, is out now and Celtic fans can help get it to Number One.

You can download the single just by clicking
HERE

Or download by texting ROD to 87474

And a share of the proceeds from the single will be split between two charities near and dear to Rod’s heart - Teenage Cancer Trust is a chosen recipient of Celtic Charity.

Rod Stewart said: “I live a blessed and wonderful life and this Christmas it means a lot to me to be able to do something that can help young people with cancer. I really admire the work done by Teenage Cancer Trust and I’m happy that Celtic Football Club’s charity fund will help raise money for such a worthwhile cause.”

The charity single released is released today, Sunday, December 9 on Verve/Universal, and taken from Rod’s hit album ´Merry Christmas, Baby´.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “Rod has been a massive supporter of the club and we sincerely appreciate the huge contribution which he is making to our charitable work.”

Celtic are currently celebrating their 125th anniversary. Celtic Charity Fund was set up in 1995 to support charitable causes in the line with the founding principles of Celtic Football Club and aims to help communities across the world. As part of this commitment, Celtic Charity has chosen to support Teenage Cancer Trust.

You too pokeraldo mate, Hail Hail

[video=youtube;JChA2MHNk2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JChA2MHNk2c[/video]

[h=1]Celtic v Spartak Moscow | Eurofan with Tom Deacon Ep6 [/h]
[video=youtube;Gx5DiOepj_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5DiOepj_Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back