is iptv on openbox v8s possible

sc8

hi, is it possible to get an iptv m3u line working on an openbox v8s, if so how do you do it
if I got an m3u line off an iptv server what are the steps on putting it on an openbox v8s if its possible

I've read the following from another forum and I have never tried this. I believe people here say it's not a good job on openbox. I'd imagine you're better off getting a cheap android box and using that.

The later model skybox/openbox v8 and v6 have an update to allow m3u files to be used for iptv or films streamed from a external source. You will need to add your link to a m3u file attached.
WebTV.zip

Just copy and paste the link into the file making sure that #EXTM3U is at the start of the link naming, this should already be done but if not add it as the file will not work without it. Should look like this as an example:
#EXTM3U#EXTINF:-1,BBC 1
h##p://servername.d##s.net:####0/live/rNnd100018/3SeJthetjB/1736.ts

Do not change the file name to anything other than WebTv> load to USB formatted to fat32> load to your box> menu> multimedia> WebTv
press green to delete all then yellow to read your USB and if done correctly you should see'' WebTv read success'' click ok and the link should appear on screen, click on it and it should start to download and a few seconds later appear on screen.

If you have added multiple links then obviously you should have multiple channel options. If you want to confirm the links are live and active open in VLC media player on your PC first as that will play more or less anything and show whether everything is good to go before trying on your receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done a few of these...simply downloaded the m3u file from my supplier renamed it's WebTV.m3u and menu...multimedia...WebTV like barley says....a doddle [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Done a few of these...simply downloaded the m3u file from my supplier renamed it's WebTV.m3u and menu...multimedia...WebTV like barley says....a doddle [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Hi m8 ive done all this, got my channels on with names. But when I select one anyone it just wont connect. 0 on downloading, yet when I press one of the vod channels whichbi believe is a mkv file it connects and downloads and plays no problem. Any advice on how I can get my .ts lines to connect.
Cheers

Thanks for the reply m8, but this isnt working for a openbox v8s.

It work's mate i have done load's make sure you do this, Because this is your problem

also you can copy the m3u fomat to usb drive, the STB support the format (Note:the file name must be tvlist.m3u)

hmm you must be doing something wrong?? do a google and have a look it can be done ;-)

i just added iptv to my openbox but is not show channels names e.g slysport1, just showing no name for all channels is there anything i can do to correct this..
TIA

i just added iptv to my openbox but is not show channels names e.g slysport1, just showing no name for all channels is there anything i can do to correct this..
TIA

Yes covert your m3u file to a text file you will find the program on line to do this for free, if you don't want to do that just use google

Last edited:
If you convert your m3u to a text file. What do you do with this New file? Is it names WebTV.txt? Same thing happened to me..i renamed the m3u plugged it in no channel names

Thanks for the reply m8, but this isnt working for a openbox v8s.

I've read the following from another forum and I have never tried this. I believe people here say it's not a good job on openbox. I'd imagine you're better off getting a cheap android box and using that.

The later model skybox/openbox v8 and v6 have an update to allow m3u files to be used for iptv or films streamed from a external source. You will need to add your link to a m3u file attached.
WebTV.zip

Just copy and paste the link into the file making sure that #EXTM3U is at the start of the link naming, this should already be done but if not add it as the file will not work without it. Should look like this as an example:
#EXTM3U#EXTINF:-1,BBC 1
h##p://servername.d##s.net:####0/live/rNnd100018/3SeJthetjB/1736.ts

Do not change the file name to anything other than WebTv> load to USB formatted to fat32> load to your box> menu> multimedia> WebTv
press green to delete all then yellow to read your USB and if done correctly you should see'' WebTv read success'' click ok and the link should appear on screen, click on it and it should start to download and a few seconds later appear on screen.

If you have added multiple links then obviously you should have multiple channel options. If you want to confirm the links are live and active open in VLC media player on your PC first as that will play more or less anything and show whether everything is good to go before trying on your receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I'm new to IPTV and running the Openbox V8S. It works but I wouldn't recommend it, regularly freezes when you are flicking through channels and then you have to kill the power to get it working again. Plus no EPG. Also football yesterday was unwatchable (pic freezing), though not sure if that was down to my provider, waiting on a reply.

I had the same problems as stated above. I found that once you have your m3u file from your provider you then download this and rename it. Most guides state to rename webtv.m3u, which i did. For my V8S this failed to recognise the file. After a bit of searching I found that if you just rename the file webtv without the .m3u extension this works, which it did for me.

It seems for some V8S boxes it works with the .m3u extension and for others like mine it only works without the extension and just renaming the file webtv. Whether this is down to some differences between boxes or the .m3u files from providers, I don't have the technical knowledge to say.

In terms of uploading the file to the V8S, process is exactly as described in an earlier post by barneygumble, takes just a minute to sort.

I'm looking at getting a new box and leaning towards the mag256, seems a solid choice, any others I should look at?

Cheers

Hi guys I put iptv on my v8s USB m3u which works but all the channels have no name as anyone else add this problem
Cheers

Back