Netflix cheaper using VPN

Just tried to add my UK card using my mate's Turkish number for verification. It wouldn't accept the number even though its a valid Turkish one. Then it locked my browser out. So Netflix really are being sneaky. Still the vouchers work for the moment. I do have access to another UK sub for free but its only HD and I do like the UHD on my big TV.

Thanks @spats and @alexanderras for the really useful info on this.

The trick here is that the card is added to the account while you have the UK sub. When you then subsequently subscribe to the Turkish sub it is already on file and thus doesn’t need sms verification. That’s how I did a few months back. Unfortunately that card is now expiring and I’m too lazy to switch back to UK for a month - so have gone down the gift card route for now
No need to switch back mate, my card was expiring put new card details in and it accepted it no problem, do not need a vpn in the UK, i just use a vpn when checking the USA Netflix or any other country.

hope this helps

No need to switch back mate, my card was expiring put new card details in and it accepted it no problem, do not need a vpn in the UK, i just use a vpn when checking the USA Netflix or any other country.

hope this helps
I’ve tried to do this and it doesn’t seem to want to accept any of my cards now 😢

Just tried to add my UK card using my mate's Turkish number for verification. It wouldn't accept the number even though its a valid Turkish one. Then it locked my browser out. So Netflix really are being sneaky. Still the vouchers work for the moment. I do have access to another UK sub for free but its only HD and I do like the UHD on my big TV.

Thanks @spats and @alexanderras for the really useful info on this.
Setup your account in the UK first with a UK mobile number for verification for a month.
cancel your account in the first month.
use a vpn set to Turkey
Reinstate your account with the details they hold for you.
pick your tier you want, your done.

hope this helps

I have the same issue, it keeps asking me to verify my identity with a turkish number

I have the same issue, it keeps asking me to verify my identity with a turkish number
Did you put vpn on to Turkey before adding new card, if not give it a try mate.
I never was asked for a Turkish number as they have my uk number and that's only needed when setting it up for txt confirmation, and only needed if you forgot your password.

Did you put vpn on to Turkey before adding new card, if not give it a try mate.
Yeah, tried with and without a vpn on both iOS and Mac. I think you have a lucky account.

I checked my mobile number is there. I even tried to see if I could change that, and it does send a verification text to my UK number. However, annoyingly, it keeps asking for a Turkish Number when trying to add a new card.

Last edited:
Yeah, tried with and without a vpn on both iOS and Mac. I think you have a lucky account.

I checked my mobile number is there. I even tried to see if I could change that, and it does send a verification text to my UK number. However, annoyingly, it keeps asking for a Turkish Number when trying to add a new card.
Strange, Try this mate if not already done so.
Go into your Netflix account on pc, then edit your card details, or add a new card then delete the old one. "Do NOT use a VPN"

All I did was edit my card details it was accepted no problem, that was only 2 weeks ago, I did not receive a txt for verification.

I just don't understand why its not working for you and others.

Try and edit/add card without VPN on keep it in the UK and maybe it will send a txt to your UK mobile for verification.

If that doesn't work contact their help desk, as i am out of ideas bud.

Anyone know if this method still works? I tried using vpn and logging in to the turkish website, was quoted the price in turkish TL, but payment with the card I had on file was rejected..

Anyone know if this method still works? I tried using vpn and logging in to the turkish website, was quoted the price in turkish TL, but payment with the card I had on file was rejected..
I buy a turkish netflix giftcard and then use that to pay netflix, works perfectly well

Worked for me (after a little faffing around). I used my lapsed UK account. I had to buy and use a Turkish gift voucher for Month 1, then the account fell back to and charged my UK credit card (already on my account) after that. I tried to miss out the Turkish gift card part, but it wouldn't work (also, when you're on the Turkey gift card, i think you can only access or download via a Turkey VPN, but once they start charging your credit card, it all works normally - no VPN needed, and you can use UK content etc.). I think the secret is using a Turkish gift card for Month 1, but put a UK credit card on your account so that from Month 2 onwards, it automatically takes the subscription from that. Quite a detailed explanation here: Netflix Monthly: Basic TL₺45.99 (~A$3.88), Standard TL₺69.99 (~A$6), Premium TL₺93.99 (~A$8) @ Netflix Turkey (VPN Req)

When I tried to add my UK card (Starling Bank) as a backup payment method it asked for a Turkish phone number to send a confirmation text to.

When I tried to add my UK card (Starling Bank) as a backup payment method it asked for a Turkish phone number to send a confirmation text to.
I think you have to add your UK mobile *before* you let your original UK account expire so it's already in the Netflix system before you let your account lapse / do the 'whole Turkey thing", then it doesn't ask you again. I forget the exact order i did things, that I think that's what I had to do.

MIne is a Turkey account I set up 3 or 4 years ago but the card expired. The trouble started (as above) when I tried to add the new card. I'm fine with using vouchers atm. I usually add 3 or 4 months worth of credit so its not too onerous.

also, when you're on the Turkey gift card, i think you can only access or download via a Turkey VPN, but once they start charging your credit card, it all works normally - no VPN needed
For what it’s worth I do not have to use a VPN to watch anything and I am using turkish gift cards.

Back