GrogBuild Playback fo MKV files on a Formuler F1 using USB passport HD but have to use file commander?

bmitie

TK Veteran
TK Supporter
Hi

Is there a neater method for playback of MKV files from a USB HD on Formuler F1. Media scanner does not find any files!!

Hi again, I asked this on behalf of a friend and when they went to change the player ie toggle the box crashed!! The grogbuild is over 2 years!!

Time for me to come in on this as the aforementoned friend!
When I raised the opena.tv crash they suggested upgrading OpenATV to the current stable version 6.4.
I believe everyone is going to 4k images but I have no such TV myself. In that context, I'm unsure if GrogBuild is parked now or will be upgraded to use 6.4?
I can roll up the sleeves and try and upgrade the grogbuild to openATV 6.4 but I would prefer not to go down a blind alley! Has anyone done it successfully?
Any advice is much appreciated!!

Grogbuild works fine on ATV 6.4, it's the py3 ATV 7.0 that he's working on at the moment.
I think ATV 7.0 is still in beta anyway so probably best sticking to 6.4.

Grog late to the party again is he 😜
I like to make an entrance, and once I turn up to the party everyone knows I'm there :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hi again, I asked this on behalf of a friend and when they went to change the player ie toggle the box crashed!! The grogbuild is over 2 years!!
If the Grogbuild being used is over 2 years old then it's time to reflash. It's probably using an older/out dated ATV, Grogbuild does use ATV 6.4

Grogbuild works fine on ATV 6.4, it's the py3 ATV 7.0 that he's working on at the moment.
I think ATV 7.0 is still in beta anyway so probably best sticking to 6.4.
And ATV is now working on 7.1 with a later version of Python. So they did 6.5, then 7 and never released either as stable, now 7.1. It could be a long wait before we get a new stable release

I like to make an entrance, and once I turn up to the party everyone knows I'm there :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If the Grogbuild being used is over 2 years old then it's time to reflash. It's probably using an older/out dated ATV, Grogbuild does use ATV 6.4

And ATV is now working on 7.1 with a later version of Python. So they did 6.5, then 7 and never released either as stable, now 7.1. It could be a long wait before we get a new stable release
Vix is firing on all cylinders on python 3 come on over Mr grog willo has time on his hands now he has retired. Poor chap is painting the house 🏠 these days.

Super news, many thanks for letting me know Grogbuild now uses 6.4! And is very much alive!!
I installed GrogBuild in January 2020.
Before making enquries I was reading the sticky post with last post from 2019, grogbuild-freerange-for-all-enigma2-boxes, and there was no info that it was updated.
Then I found your website which has latest download from 2018.
But I am just after understanding now that a reflash will download the latest stable ATV which is 6.4 (y)emoji_clap

I can follow your detailed step by step instructions on GrogBuild - Grogbuild FreeRange for all enigma2 boxes as before, but I am just wondering is there any installation setting that will mean the questions are skipped and the current setting is used? Thanks for your patience!

And another noob question... do people typically rerun
Code:
wget  -O ~/fla.sh  http://flashmybox4.me && bash fla.sh
regularly to update the components?

Last edited:
Super news, many thanks for letting me know Grogbuild now uses 6.4! And is very much alive!!
I installed GrogBuild in January 2020.
Before making enquries I was reading the sticky post with last post from 2019, grogbuild-freerange-for-all-enigma2-boxes, and there was no info that it was updated.
Then I found your website which has latest download from 2018.
But I am just after understanding now that a reflash will download the latest stable ATV which is 6.4 (y)emoji_clap

I can follow youre detailed step by step instructions on GrogBuild - Grogbuild FreeRange for all enigma2 boxes as before, but I am just wondering is there any installation setting that will mean the questions are skipped and the current setting is used? Thanks for your patience!

And another noob question... do people typically rerun
Code:
wget  -O ~/fla.sh  http://flashmybox4.me && bash fla.sh
regularly to update the components?
no you would re answer all questions, it doesn't 'remember' them.

Grogbuild setup flashes your box with the latest version of ATV for your box, (capped at 6.4 for now), and installs the latest version of the plugins that make up the build. The skins are not updated though, as they work as is.

no you would re answer all questions, it doesn't 'remember' them.
Thanks a mill!. I have done a backup of settings via the setup menu and took pictures of the screens afterwards - it zeems to maybe tar up all important files and directories. Backup is done but no location is given, I want to be able to restore after reimaging and not have to set up everything again.

This is a totally noob question but I have not been able to find the answer online or by searching myself:

Code:
formuler1 login: root                                                                               
Last login: Tue Mar  1 12:05:10 GMT 2022 from ::1 on pts/0                                           
root@formuler1:~# find . -name '*tar'                                                               
root@formuler1:~# find . -name '*tgz'                                                               
root@formuler1:~# ls -ld -- **/*tar*                                                                 
ls: **/*tar*: No such file or directory                                                             
root@formuler1:~# ls -ld -- **/*tgz*                                                                 
ls: **/*tgz*: No such file or directory                                                             
root@formuler1:~# ls -ld -- **/*tgz                                                                 
ls: **/*tgz: No such file or directory                                                               
root@formuler1:~#

out of interest what settings are you going to restore? tv regions, timers, skins etc are all set during setup. Shouldn't be many more settings that need to be backed up.

There should be a folder on your hdd named backup_openatv_sf8008 (last bit is your box name)
Fantastic, I checked my USB stick via file commander and there was the directory!

out of interest what settings are you going to restore? tv regions, timers, skins etc are all set during setup. Shouldn't be many more settings that need to be backed up.
Mainly, I was thinking of all the channels tuned in, 2 tuners from satellite and 1 from aerial in attic for terrestrial free to air, I don't want to have to reset them up!

After the upgrade I was assuming it would just work like before once I restore! I have not done customisations on bouquets/favourites so I don't mind about them.

Last edited:
take a note of the transmitter being used for freeview and sat region, you will then be asked to set these during grogbuild setup. the box will then download the channel list for the select region when it starts up.

no need to back up/restore if you don't have any extra's/customisations

I'm going to try this now on a dodgy H7S but Willo his box is a Formuler , why would it show sf8008? Just curious.

Ok I tried just now and it failed at the very end .. and went back to old image. The error message is " Error under rootfs. System won't boot! Please flash back up" This happened when I used image selector in Vix as well. I did get it to flash to 4 partitons but box always freezes and wont boot etc. I used slot 1 for this attempt. Is the box bricked or is there a way of fixing the rootfs? I might try a few more partitions. Its raining here.

Last edited:
Back